Muscle Spasms

Coolcatsithe

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone else here gets frequent muscle spasms in the same spot? If so, what do you do to keep them in check if its possible.

It seems mine come and go about once per month or so and it sets me out for usuallyh about 3 days and it drives me nuts. I went to the doctor already about it and he just says to put heat on it. I looked up things online and there was lots of stuff saying use heat, ice, anti-inflammatory medicine, massage it, sleep properly, etc etc.

So what has anyone else found to be the most effective methods in both prevention and in treatment once it occurs. I'm really sick of not being able to make my head look left for about 10% of my time each month, much less able to roll.

I was just curious if anyone else here gets frequent muscle spasms in the same spot? If so, what do you do to keep them in check if its possible.

It seems mine come and go about once per month or so and it sets me out for usuallyh about 3 days and it drives me nuts. I went to the doctor already about it and he just says to put heat on it. I looked up things online and there was lots of stuff saying use heat, ice, anti-inflammatory medicine, massage it, sleep properly, etc etc.

So what has anyone else found to be the most effective methods in both prevention and in treatment once it occurs. I'm really sick of not being able to make my head look left for about 10% of my time each month, much less able to roll.

How old are you?

Not sure why you ask, but I'll humor you just incase it is for a legit response. I'm 26.

Is this some kind of unique problem or something?

I've been told that drinking Gatorade might help. I have no idea if this has any basis on fact, but I know what when my muscles get all shaky and have spasms, it's a sign that I haven't been eating right.

Well as I was reading about it I read that the muscle spasm itself isn't painful, it's the fact its making said muscle work 24/7 around the clock constantly twitching (I never felt this happen btw, and I have a pretty good diet) and eventually the muscle will get a muscle knot and thats what becomes painful like I am describing... at least that's what the internet told me and it doesn't lie ever, amirite? My doc called it a muscle spasm though.

Anyways, like I said I just wanted to know if other people have this problem ever.

I read that dehydration is the cause. In my case, I have a pinched nerve that's causing the muscle to spasm.

Not sure why you ask, but I'll humor you just incase it is for a legit response. I'm 26.

Is this some kind of unique problem or something?

I'm not much older than you are. I asked because I got cramps more as a teenager. I'd wake up during the middle of the night in football season with terrible cramps of the lower extremities.

Drink lots of water and Gatorade. Getting dehydrated or otherwise letting your electrolytes get fucked up can be one cause for cramping.

I sometimes get charlie horses while rolling. I've found that staying hydrated and having a good warm-up are good prevention steps.

I used to get this a lot in my calves during training.

I take potassium pills every day (as part of my daily vitamin intake,) and it hasn't happened in a few months now. Take it for what it's worth.

I take potassium pills every day (as part of my daily vitamin intake,) and it hasn't happened in a few months now. Take it for what it's worth.

Yes, potassium. Eat more bananas, they're good for you.

Or eat plenty of potatoes! they actually have more potassium than bananas.

I usually get cramping in my calves if I don't properly warm up, you can see the muscle contracting and it hurts...a lot

If I do really heavy leg workouts (like stadiums till I can hardly walk) on a given day then that night I will sometimes wake up screaming from calf cramps, a couple times my right calf has spazed so hard it's actually pulled itself, who ever heard of a muscle that pulls itself?

Well as I was reading about it I read that the muscle spasm itself isn't painful, it's the fact its making said muscle work 24/7 around the clock constantly twitching (I never felt this happen btw, and I have a pretty good diet) and eventually the muscle will get a muscle knot and thats what becomes painful like I am describing... at least that's what the internet told me and it doesn't lie ever, amirite? My doc called it a muscle spasm though.

Anyways, like I said I just wanted to know if other people have this problem ever.

I have, and I agree it can suck quite a bit. I'm also 26 so don't think the age is an issue. I have taken up getting a massage once every 4 weeks or so and it has helped tremendously. Icing immediately after can help (reduces inflamation) and a heating pad doesn't hurt after that.

Maybe I missed it but did you mention which muscle is spasming?

Go to a massage 1-2 a month and i heard getting more magnesium helps...

yep id get it after a hard out class
its potasisim and lack of hyrdration

Maybe I missed it but did you mention which muscle is spasming?

I thought I did in the original post. Anyways, it is a muscle on my shoulder basically, next to where my neck begins. I've asked around a little in the mean time btw, it basically is a muscle knot. Someone mentioned above something about getting massages every now and then, and I think that may be one of the best remedies. I diet pretty well and I make sure to eat bananas and drink plenty of water, as well as taking my daily multi-vitamin.

Seems I just need to get some knots rubbed out basically. Also, sleeping all fucked up can contribute to this problem too.

This isn't a muscle cramp or charlie horse or anything during rolling, that's a whole 'nother animal I think. I don't even remember the last time I've had that happen to me.

shit happened to me last night. painful as hell.. lol.

This happened to me quite often but its gone now due to some work on my part. There are many possible causes for muscle spasms. Over working the muscle is one possible cause but I'm told the most common cause it is a deficiency of some sort. In my case I wasn't getting enough sodium in my diet. Potassium, calcium, electrolyte, and something that started with M...(magnesium?) deficiency....I believe excess of these can cause spasms as well...I think that's all my doctor wrote...hmm..

btw: My muscle spasms were occurring almost every time I went to jujitsu and were of the painful nature on the bottom of my feet.

Last edited:
1. Make sure you're not dehydrated
2. Eat banana's and anything else high in potassium, daily
3. Stretch before and after class

I am a Licensed Massage Therapist and treat people for muscle spasms all the time with consistent positive results. If it is one specific area or muscle that is the problem it might be worth it to you to treat yourself to a professional massage. Manual manipulation of the soft tissues can release tension and knots much more effectively than pills can. Hope it helps!

Back