Muscle popping and knee pains

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Armycombative, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

somewhere between hell and a hand grenade
    Okay so is not news that being in the military can be very rough on the body. This is a two part question.

Often times I have certain muscles/tendons that pop. Yes I really mean they literally pop. Usually with little pain of anything of that nature. I stretch a lot more than most people, yet still seem to have more problems than most. Usually I this happens to my hamstrings, but lately it happens in other places around the knee and calf area. What causes this?

Second I've been having a lot of knee pain. In the infantry when on patrols you will often times take a knee and stay that way for anywhere from a few minutes up to an hour. All of this with anywhere from 35-80lbs on your back. Needless to say getting up sucks. Stabilizing that kind of weight for long periods of time is plain awful. Especially if your knees aren't that great in the first place. So my question is what kind of activities can I do to counter this?

2. ValleyboyNS

ValleyboyNS White Belt

Don't know what military you are in, but instead of a knee do they let you do a sort of squat thing, both knees off the ground, or even sitting position, legs up in front of you as a brace for your rifle? A bit slower to get up with the last one, with the first one you can get up just as quick, and both are decent shooting platforms if positioned correctly. Easier on the joints, first one harder on the muscles, but you win some, lose some.

3. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

I speaking of Ranger school in particular. I was in, but an injury caused me to leave. I have to go back later. Any time you stop movement you have to take a knee. I'm not sure if squatting is allowed, but I have done a kneeling sitting on my feet type of thing. Which is better than being on one knee, but is still quite painful. Pain of doing the action isn't my problem it's the long term effects that are making it so bad. It wouldn't be as bad if there were any kind of rest cycle in Ranger school to recover, but that just isn't the case.

4. ValleyboyNS

ValleyboyNS White Belt

Ok. Well I don't know if I am much help, but I am an army driver (Canada, imagine its alot different). Also as a support trade I don't know overly much about the field, but whenever I am there, when I have to halt, stand to etc, I try to sit on both knees like you said and lean back on the feet, squat thing, or if it is really flat and good visibility even go prone, though as an infanteer you may get yelled at for the last one, I don't know. Sorry I am not more help...

5. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

Nah it's all good bro. Thanks for you help

6. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Flexibilty in the hams and knee starts in your feet so roll your feet on a golf ball and stretch your calves like crazy.

7. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

Thanks I will try that. I went to see the doc the other day and you're right it seems it's my hamstrings that are 90% of my problem. I also have back pain that attributed to this as well.

8. cXs808

cXs808 Brown Belt

sort of related question:

would a lack of hamstring training and a lot of squatting cause a imbalance that could be potentially destructive to the knee?

i'm deadlifting and full squatting at high weight, thats my only hamstring training...