Muscle loss - the verdict?

Sarumyan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
As far as I understand, the lower the caloric deficit at cutting the more muscle you will lose. And god forbid you did any cardio.

Yet, there are a lot of people on forums who cut lots of weight in short time and reported no loss.

I went through a lot of crazy diets, never noticed any muscle loss at all, on the opposite anytime I start lifting weights, I always get bigger no matter what I am eating.

So is this an issue at all for non-bodybuilders, or people just overcomplicated things?

I recently read that you can cut 1000 calories for fat loss with little effect on muscle and strength until you get to about 10 percent body fat where you need to reduce the deficit to 500 then maybe 300 in the event you have those unwanted side effects.

I personally went from 235 to 215. This was in the last three weeks. I believe i lost 8 pounds of muscle, 12 pounds of fat which is 60% of weight loss coming from fat.

That is a lot of muscle loss and while hydration isn't accounted for in the moment or from stoppage of creatine those are the stats i have to offer.

When you lose muscle and fat, the percent of body fat may stay the same even if you become lighter with lower fat mass. For those looking for a reduction in body fat % they should be wary of this kind of muscle loss. As the over all percent isn't going to show the same kind of changes as the loss of two types of weight.

Similar progress could leave a body builder type unsatisfied.

I'm unsatisfied with the numbers of it all but i'm satisfied with the way i feel, and look.

It's one thing to cut from fat to less fat.Muscle loss will be minimal.
If you're looking for a real cut(6-8% bf) be prepared for a massive muscle loss for every 0,5% you drop, unless you're taking steroids.
And I'm talking about strict bodybuilding,add some sports,and you'll end up looking like a twig...ripped twig that is...

Studies show that you can cut as many calories as you want as long as you get your essential protein intake (0.5 grams/per lb of lean muscle mass) AND lift

You could theoretically eat low calorie protein sources like fish and chicken and easily achieve your protein demands with a 1000 or less calories then cut the rest of the calories.

A whole chicken is about 300-400 grams of protein and is only 1200 calories.

Studies show that you can cut as many calories as you want as long as you get your essential protein intake (0.5 grams/per lb of lean muscle mass) AND lift

You could theoretically eat low calorie protein sources like fish and chicken and easily achieve your protein demands with a 1000 or less calories then cut the rest of the calories.

A whole chicken is about 300-400 grams of protein and is only 1200 calories.

Now we are talking. Despite my frequent cheat days, I often go on 2000-2500 calorie deficits - and so far the traps and biceps seem to be growing on me ( never trained them before )

Nemesis , could you please link those studies... por favor

Nemesis , could you please link those studies... por favor

I can't find it, I believe it was by Aragon or Schoenfeld. It basically said that large deficits are fine as long a you also lift. Lifting will minimize hypertrophy even with a large deficit, the calories overall doesn't matter as long as you maintain protein. Maybe it was cited in Schoenfeld's book.

I'll try to dig it up later.

I am trying to reduce my fat. want to improve my muscle power....give me a more tips

Back