Mundials 2014 Lookout Thread

Watch out for Thomas Johannessen tomorrow. He beat James Popoulo in the Euros. He'll be going against AJ and Lucas Leite in the absolute and weight respectively.

So I just saw the bracket for brown belt featherweight and Marcio Andre beat Fabio Caloi in the first round. Even though Fabio won this division at Pans and Brazilian Nationals Marcio beating him probably isn't an upset, but stuff like this is why I'm super glad they seed the black belt divisions.

Rolled with Rick Slomba back in 2010 and he was a very good Purple then I thought, I was only a Blue Belt. But congrats to him, avenged a loss to Edwin in the most important match that they've ever had.

So I just saw the bracket for brown belt featherweight and Marcio Andre beat Fabio Caloi in the first round. Even though Fabio won this division at Pans and Brazilian Nationals Marcio beating him probably isn't an upset, but stuff like this is why I'm super glad they seed the black belt divisions.

The brackets change so much at the lower belts. Seeing two of the top guys on one side of the bracket can really mess things up.

congrats to Edwin for winning purple belt open weight finals with a flying triangle to win in less than 30 seconds. ridiculous.

yNKaAil.jpegO

I competed and trained with Rick since he was a white belt.

This is by far the hardest I've seen anybody work for their brown belt. Much respect.

No matter who wins, Rick is going to be limping tomorrow.

Edit: Edwin lost. Looks like going to the foot too much cost him a victory. Well done by Rick. I thought it could bite Edwin (over reliance on the foot lock game) but I thought that would happen at brown and black, not purple belt level. His passing looked good too. If he had tried passing the first time he got on top he likely would have won.

Congrats to Rick for a well deserved victory.

What happened?

I competed and trained with Rick since he was a white belt.

This is by far the hardest I've seen anybody work for their brown belt. Much respect.

Yeah, 4 years as a purple belt is a long time.

But the best purple belt at AOJ is Taka Ishii. He got his purple last October and so far this year he placed first at Pan Am and second at Worlds

So Nicholas Meregali had double gold at every major... until Edwin beat him in the absolute final. Anyone catch how this happened? That's a huge win for Edwin.

Najmi is really one of the most exciting competitors. I wonder what he will do at brown (probably win).

Keenan just beat Leandro Lo in the absolute. Wowee. He did some really interesting stuff with lapel control in a position that, according to our own TrumpetDan, is completely new as of TODAY. Not the 'worm guard' but a different grip that was sort of like a RDLR/lapel guard, I guess. He had some crazy back take attempts and some sweeps. He ended up winning on points by sweeping with very little time left.

Mounted triangle finish no less. Epic!

Did Lovato ever medal in the absolute division of worlds or is Keenan the first American to do it?

Lovato never medaled in the absolute at the Worlds, so I think Keenan would be the first.

Buchecha vs Felipe Preguica is up soon, and the winner will face Keenan, I believe. Bernardo Faria will be up against Rodolfo Vieira in the other semifinal.

Buchecha footlocks Preguica, so it looks like we'll be seeing Buchecha vs Keenan.

Back