Mundials 2014 Lookout Thread

Someone in (I think) this thread mentioned that Edwin Najmi was cutting 18 pounds for this tournament. I don't know if it's true but both his first and second round opponent missed weight which is a pretty lucky break, especially if it was a tough cut.

Wow that is incredibly lucky. That gives him a ton of time to rehydrate and get ready for his third match.

Wow that is incredibly lucky. That gives him a ton of time to rehydrate and get ready for his third match.

Always nice to have more time to recover from a big weight cut, but being fresh after your opponent has had a match or two to warm up and get rid of all that lactic acid is not always a good thing. Hard to get started when someone else is already hitting their rhythm.

Always nice to have more time to recover from a big weight cut, but being fresh after your opponent has had a match or two to warm up and get rid of all that lactic acid is not always a good thing. Hard to get started when someone else is already hitting their rhythm.

True. Edwin just beat my teammate in the quarter final to advance to the semis so I guess he's doing ok :) He looked fresh lol.

How'd it go?

Edwin jumped a triangle pretty quickly while Josh was measuring the distance and feeling him out.

Tough loss. He looked great though and I think he could have beat just about anyone else in the top 8 :( Very focused and listening well to the coaching.

Edwin jumped a triangle pretty quickly while Josh was measuring the distance and feeling him out.

Tough loss. He looked great though and I think he could have beat just about anyone else in the top 8 :( Very focused and listening well to the coaching.

Even harder to get started and find your rhythm when your opponent hits you with a flying triangle at the start of a match. :icon_sad:

Edwin just walking through people. I looked away for a 30 seconds (they hadn't even walked onto the mat yet) and the next thing I see his hand is being raised. Onto the finals. No surprise there.

Edwin won his semi match with a foot lock in about a minute. He is facing Rick Slomba from AOJ, who won with wrist lock in about two minutes. I think they have competed against each other several times.

Edwin won his semi match with a foot lock in about a minute. He is facing Rick Slomba from AOJ, who won with wrist lock in about two minutes. I think they have competed against each other several times.

And Edwin has beaten loads of times before

No matter who wins, Rick is going to be limping tomorrow.

Edit: Edwin lost. Looks like going to the foot too much cost him a victory. Well done by Rick. I thought it could bite Edwin (over reliance on the foot lock game) but I thought that would happen at brown and black, not purple belt level. His passing looked good too. If he had tried passing the first time he got on top he likely would have won.

Congrats to Rick for a well deserved victory.

Last edited:
He was before he moved out west. Time for his brown belt.

yNKaAil.jpegO

Back