Multiple belts?

KaosX

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a few belts - my first belt from a different martial art, one that came with a gi, another that was given to me. One from a review...

I just rotate them around.

I've been told "you're stupid" for various reasons because I have a few belts:

1. It won't get tattered as easily
2. You belt is a symbol of your learning - wear the same one (I've heard this as an excuse for not washing as well)
3. It's against tradition

So - what's your take on it?

Who's paying that much attention to your belt to notice?

I would just wear the belt of the art I am practicing in but that's just me. Let the ego go.

So you actually own and wear the same colour BJJ belt depending on your mood.

Well, a BB ussually owns and wear severals belts so I do not see why not?

Eh, it's not really a big deal - I personally don't care which belt it is. It's not like wearing my more tattered one makes me better or worse.

as long as the belt corresponds to the rank of the art you are practicing I dont care if you wear a different one every day LoL

As long as it's the colour relative to the sport your'e practicing, what's the problem?

I heard stories about some guys especially the brand new blue belt that will rub their brand new belt on a post to make look older!

I heard stories about some guys especially the brand new blue belt that will rub their brand new belt on a post to make look older!

yikes. I've seen some people try to make a stiff belt softer before - but never to make it more "old" looking.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple belts. It can come in handy a lot.

I typically only wear one belt, but I have two blue belts. I replaced my original one because it was cheap with the glue sealed tips that will come apart easily. If I had two quality blue belts, I might rotate them as well.

A lot of black belts have multiple belts for various reasons. There is nothing wrong with it. All of the stuff about tradition and not washing is just a stupid myth. Anyone believing those stories is better off taking Dim Mak or something.

just do what you want. Alot of people wear the same belt all the time, and feel that the "wear and tear" the belt shows over time is a reflection of their dedication / progression in their art (sort of like stripes) If you don't feel that way, then have as many belts as you want.

I have a few belts - my first belt from a different martial art, one that came with a gi, another that was given to me. One from a review...

I just rotate them around.

I've been told "you're stupid" for various reasons because I have a few belts:

1. It won't get tattered as easily
2. You belt is a symbol of your learning - wear the same one (I've heard this as an excuse for not washing as well)
3. It's against tradition

So - what's your take on it?

I think the kind of people that make comments about how many belts you own are probobly just looking for something to comment on. Some people just have to have an opinion about meaningless things, even if it has no effect on them at all.

I only have one belt. But I can understand that if you've had the belt for a LONG time, you may go through a few of them.

My Judo instructor's belt it tatered and frayed on the edges where the belt knots because he's had it and been instructong for DECADES. I don't see why in that case you just don't special order a replacement.

But TS, in your case, I wouldn't worry about multiple belts, becasue your goal essentailly is to move up in rank and get another belt (in a diffrent color) in the span of a few years of training.

I had my belt handed to me by an Olympic Medalist. I wore that one all the time. But thats me, and I wouldn't knock a guy who rotates his belts.

Wash ur belt! We live in America, and even MRSA has freedom.

This is how the pros roll, bro. This is what I'm doing with my brand new blue as soon as I get it, although I was thinking more about hopping on my bicycle and pedaling with it around town while holding on to it. The only issue I could think of is if someone stepped on it and made me fall down.

...But no, I never heard about it, but I can see someone doing that. But I know about white belts who specifically made their belts dirty to look like they're veterans and nearly getting the blue. My brother's finest day in jiu jitsu was when he was in a tournament, and a kid went like, "he's a grey belt? Which one is that?".

But maybe he is right, though. I always wash mine, so it looks brand new and I never get around to replacing the stripes, so eventually, when I get to roll with a graduate who doesn't know me, they end up asking me if I know what to do when we roll. I hate looking so clueless all the time, especially because it isn't too far from the truth...

You could use the back of your head instead of a concrete post. It would give you cauliflowers as well as wear out your brand new belt.

meh. I don't really care one way or the other

but I do like my own personal belt. . the one I was given

I like to think of all the matches it's been thru

call me sentimental

In BJJ, there is a concept that you need to "retire" a belt. just keep using the same one until you get promoted and retire the belt.

some guys like passing it on to some less fortunate team members as well.

Back