Mui Thai in Washington DC

lalaland437

White Belt
Reaction score
Sup dogs.
I have been practicing Shutokan Karate (shotokan's sister martial art) for several years. (I also have about 6 years of wrestling and 2 years of boxing, and 1 year kyokushin experience)
I consider my stand up game to be very strong, however, I realize I wont stop learning until I'm dead so I'd like to start training in Mui Thai.

I currently go to school in DC and am looking for a good school that teaches Mui Thai (and passes the Sherdog standard of quality)

So far I have found:
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) - CrossFit - Yoga - Self-Defense - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) - Muay Thai - Kids Martial Arts | Northern Virginia - Washington DC - Maryland

However, I cant decide if it is a Mcdojo or considering they appear to be doing well financially and (at least from my experience) the best dojos are the ones that do not make loads of money.

However, the place listed above does offer some pretty interesting deals which would allow me to train in both Mui Thai and Jui Jitsu for one monthly rate (not to mention they have a crossfit gym which would seriously simplify my 'now where the hell am i going to find an erg sitting next to a track with a 15 foot rope next to it?' moments)

Finally the place is backed by Gracie so how bad could it really be?

Tl;Dr version: where in DC should I go to learn Mui Thai? (being able to learn Jui Jitsu is a huge plus if its available) and what do you think of Capitol Jui Jitsu if you have any experience there?

Thanks in advance Headkickers!

Capital Jiu Jitsu is legit...Where are you going to be at in DC? Around here, you always have to factor in the commute as well

I coach at NOVA MMA in Arlington, VA. The gym is located about 2 blocks from the Courthouse Metro stop on the Orange Line. We've got some really good instructors and a number of successful fighters (Muay Thai, San Shou/San Da, & MMA)

novamma.com

Capital Jiu Jitsu is a good gym. They're buddies of mine and have had fighters compete on the Muay Thai events I used to promote (before the economy tanked).

There is also 50/50 in Arlington, VA. They have good Muay Thai instruction too. Their coach was my original training partner in Muay Thai back in '92.

5050bjj.com

If you're in DC, I'd also recommend looking into Beta Academy with Nakapan.

betaacademy.com

In Alexandria, theres a TAG Muay Thai program run by Chris Aboy.

tagmuaythai.com

if you want some really good training, though, I'd recommend just hitting me up to train privately in my garage in Alexandria, VA. I offer VERY reasonable rates for private instruction!

khunkao.com
[email protected]

However, I cant decide if it is a Mcdojo or considering they appear to be doing well financially and (at least from my experience) the best dojos are the ones that do not make loads of money.

People have really begun just tossing around the "McDojo" term a lot... Just because a gym is successful and invests their profits in nice facilities does not make them a "McDojo".

As an example, there are a lot of people who are put off by the way Lloyd Irvin advertises and runs his martial arts academy. There are a lot of things that, on the surface, would lead people to think it's a "McDojo". However, this guy is a top-notch BJJ, Judo, and Sambo instructor. His students compete regularly and do quite well in Mundials, Worlds, Pan-Am's, etc.... He is Brandon Vera's (UFC) coach and has a number of professional fighters in his stable.

Just sayin

I currently go to school in DC and am looking for a good school that teaches Mui Thai (and passes the Sherdog standard of quality)

:D

I mean, seriously...

:D

Back