Muay Thai Gym Q&A

I hear that on July 6th (I think), Thailand will remove their restrictions.

Hi guys - long time lurker but first time posting.

I’m taking a career break and looking to move to Thailand for a few months to train MMA - I’ve done a few months training so definitely still a beginner. What would be your best recommendations for the best gyms and / or courses?

I’ve done some searching on the forum but appreciate this might be a v common question and my bad if I’ve missed it.

Cheers

I’m taking a career break and looking to move to Thailand for a few months to train MMA - I’ve done a few months training so definitely still a beginner. What would be your best recommendations for the best gyms and / or courses?

I’ve done some searching on the forum but appreciate this might be a v common question and my bad if I’ve missed it.

Cheers
This is a tough question. Sorry it took so long to see it.
I've trained in Thailand a few times so I'll do my best to answer it.

Would you prefer to stay in a main city like Bangkok or Pattaya (This is a good place if you're a single man looking to party). Or would you like to get off the touristy areas and train somewhat more authentically?

This is a tough question. Sorry it took so long to see it.
I've trained in Thailand a few times so I'll do my best to answer it.

Would you prefer to stay in a main city like Bangkok or Pattaya (This is a good place if you're a single man looking to party). Or would you like to get off the touristy areas and train somewhat more authentically?

Where would you recommend in Bangkok?

Any up-to-date recommendation for training+accommodation in Bangkok?

Cheers
I love Fairtex Pattaya and have been many times. The standard of training is exceptional and you will be trained by coaches who train world champion level fighters, in the same ring as them at times. I haen't trained elsewhere in Pattaya. Yes it is a party town for single guys but also an amazing place for a family/training holiday. Just use common sense.

Chalong is Disneyland for fight fans. I am not a fan of the big group classes at Tiger Muay Thai but private training is well worth the money and more like the Fairtex experience in my opinion. I did BJJ at Phuket Top Team, not Muay Thai, but I felt like that was more a focussed environment for one to one training than TMT.

I have not been there since some coaches left to open Bangtao. I hope to go there asap.

Very early stages of planning a vacation-training trip to Thailand. My plan is to go for about 3 or 4 weeks and work remote for about a week and then rest of the weeks of vacation-training. I'd like to train probably 4ish times a week. I'm not a big party type of person but definitely would enjoy chilling at the beaches, eating food, checking out nature and local stuff etc.

I'd like to focus on Muay Thai but might be open to doing MMA/BJJ a little bit.

I don't know a ton about Thailand but from what I was looking up, Phuket Top Team and Sinbi appear to be pretty popular options for the type of training I'd be interested in and seem to be good options for people new to Thailand. I see some criticism of them being filled with tourists but I also see that regardless they provide good authentic training while not being too hardcore. I'd love to learn and sharpen up on things and also pick up on things to continue drilling when I go back home. The location from what I am seeing is by the beaches and they have on their sites accomadations in the form of nearby hotels. I am NOT really interested in group tour type of stuff I mainly just want to do my own thing but also get training in, but from what I am understanding so far is you can just book a hotel and training and not do all the other group stuff?

Sorry for the wall of text but yeah, any current thoughts on Phuket Top Team and Sinbi or anything else that might fit what I'd be interested in?

@PeacePipe @Woldog tagging you guys because it's a massive thread and your names popped up and have recentish posts in here

Very early stages of planning a vacation-training trip to Thailand. My plan is to go for about 3 or 4 weeks and work remote for about a week and then rest of the weeks of vacation-training. I'd like to train probably 4ish times a week. I'm not a big party type of person but definitely would enjoy chilling at the beaches, eating food, checking out nature and local stuff etc.

I'd like to focus on Muay Thai but might be open to doing MMA/BJJ a little bit.

I don't know a ton about Thailand but from what I was looking up, Phuket Top Team and Sinbi appear to be pretty popular options for the type of training I'd be interested in and seem to be good options for people new to Thailand. I see some criticism of them being filled with tourists but I also see that regardless they provide good authentic training while not being too hardcore. I'd love to learn and sharpen up on things and also pick up on things to continue drilling when I go back home. The location from what I am seeing is by the beaches and they have on their sites accomadations in the form of nearby hotels. I am NOT really interested in group tour type of stuff I mainly just want to do my own thing but also get training in, but from what I am understanding so far is you can just book a hotel and training and not do all the other group stuff?

Sorry for the wall of text but yeah, any current thoughts on Phuket Top Team and Sinbi or anything else that might fit what I'd be interested in?

@PeacePipe @Woldog tagging you guys because it's a massive thread and your names popped up and have recentish posts in here

all the gym in Phuket are good, you’ll enjoy, have world class pad holders and get super fit.

Enjoy and remember to swim at Nai Harn beach during classes, I loved it

all the gym in Phuket are good, you’ll enjoy, have world class pad holders and get super fit.

Enjoy and remember to swim at Nai Harn beach during classes, I loved it

Awesome, is it best to stick with the hotels/rooms in the Accomodation section of these gyms?

https://www.phukettopteam.com/prices/accommodation

I did the conversion of the prices for a month and the prices aren't bad at all. They all seem within very close walking distance to the gym too (at least in this PTT example). The rooms look small but simple enough and seem to have all the ammendities I would need (mainly internet for work). Or is it better to look elsewhere for housing?

Awesome, is it best to stick with the hotels/rooms in the Accomodation section of these gyms?

I did the conversion of the prices for a month and the prices aren't bad at all. They all seem within very close walking distance to the gym too (at least in this PTT example). The rooms look small but simple enough and seem to have all the ammendities I would need (mainly internet for work). Or is it better to look elsewhere for housing?
No, they will try sel to you in typical Thai style, but go down the road.
I stayed at the gym, was terrible, two weeks, just a fan, very loud, not that good.

next few weeks 5 min scooter away, had ac, lcd, very quiet, perfect.

you will do training in the morning, two and half hours usually, then u can go sleep, chill, eat, swim, then afternoon.

get a good bed with AC in room, makes your recovery so much better, same price

No, they will try sel to you in typical Thai style, but go down the road.
I stayed at the gym, was terrible, two weeks, just a fan, very loud, not that good.

next few weeks 5 min scooter away, had ac, lcd, very quiet, perfect.

you will do training in the morning, two and half hours usually, then u can go sleep, chill, eat, swim, then afternoon.

get a good bed with AC in room, makes your recovery so much better, same price

So actually I'd probably not train in the morning but from what I saw on Phuket Top Team schedule they have a 4pm class that's 2 hours that's something I'd probably do as I'd be able to go there right after work. From what I'm looking at those rooms in the accomodations sections aren't actually in the gym they look like hotels?

Never stay at the gym accommodation it's fucking hot and terrible lol.

So actually I'd probably not train in the morning but from what I saw on Phuket Top Team schedule they have a 4pm class that's 2 hours that's something I'd probably do as I'd be able to go there right after work. From what I'm looking at those rooms in the accomodations sections aren't actually in the gym they look like hotels?

it won’t be, they will try sell you gloves, pads, wraps and any “hotel” which just means room.

trust me, go down the road, maybe book in your first week with them, then explore a bit, you’ll find way better places near by !

Never stay at the gym accommodation it's fucking hot and terrible lol.
it won’t be, they will try sell you gloves, pads, wraps and any “hotel” which just means room.

trust me, go down the road, maybe book in your first week with them, then explore a bit, you’ll find way better places near by !

Ok, thanks guys I will do that instead!

Back