Muay Thai Gym Q&A

Thanks, currently looking at Top Team, Chokchai or the 13 coins gym.

Kombat group does dedicated boxing training twice a day

Not too sure how good the trainers are though, don't look anything impressive from the videos tbh

I'm looking for a Muay Thai gym that teaches Muay Thai but also the other MMA disciplines (Boxing, BJJ and Wrestling). I want the Muay Thai trainings to be very good at teaching the clinching game, elbows and knees. All of those in both the offensive and defensive department. I'm from the Netherlands so learning how to kick or to punch is not the main goal as I can learn that at a kickboxing gym. Is it true that the Muay Thai gyms that teach you good "real" Muay Thai fundamentals most often don't offer any other classes (BJJ, Boxing, Wrestling)? I don't want to go to a multi purpose camp and then end finding out it's basically kickboxing they teach to Farangs.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, new to the fighting world, and I live in San Francisco. I would like to ask for your input/recommendations for a muay thai gym here. I am not looking to be a pro but I do want to learn and get "good". Any suggestions. Live near japantown and work literally down the street from rise combat in the mission.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Uhhhhh guys, did Johnny Walker just purchase Chokcahi Muay Thai in Phuket?

was doing a kick boxing class and the student i was paired up with had a strong roundhouse kick, i was holding thai pads for him. i told the student to kick lighter and he did as it was hurting my arms, but instructor came along and edged him to kick harder even when student said yea he cant handle the kick . i could take it for 6 kicks but after that my arms started to really hurt. i evaded one kick as it was too hard and instructor said you need toughen up.

i think instructor was trying in injure me. my arm is bruised also got feeling instructor doesnt like me as he didnt come along and give me pointers in my technique but he did with other studentss

whats your thoughts.

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, new to the fighting world, and I live in San Francisco. I would like to ask for your input/recommendations for a muay thai gym here. I am not looking to be a pro but I do want to learn and get "good". Any suggestions. Live near japantown and work literally down the street from rise combat in the mission.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

i would go train with jongsanan in a heartbeat if i was in SF

https://www.woodenmanmuaythai.com/

was doing a kick boxing class and the student i was paired up with had a strong roundhouse kick, i was holding thai pads for him. i told the student to kick lighter and he did as it was hurting my arms, but instructor came along and edged him to kick harder even when student said yea he cant handle the kick . i could take it for 6 kicks but after that my arms started to really hurt. i evaded one kick as it was too hard and instructor said you need toughen up.

i think instructor was trying in injure me. my arm is bruised also got feeling instructor doesnt like me as he didnt come along and give me pointers in my technique but he did with other studentss

whats your thoughts.

Muay Thai might not be the sport for you.

Hi, are there any gym updates in Bangkok? The reviews post that I saw here were about 6-7 years old.

For those of you looking for a more rustic camp to train at, I offer KIATMUU 9 GYM Photos courtesy of Rob Cox (Anorak). Contact him for contact info and pricing.
It is located in the Buriram Province of Northeast Thailand.

Here is some history and insight into the camp written by Rob Cox

\Situated in Buriram Northeast Thailand. Kiatmuu 9 offers an outlet for young kids in what is essentially a very poor region. The name Kiatmuu 9 comes from village (muu) number 9 of Takotaphi sub district, Prakonchai district, Buriram province. The Northeast is the heartland for Muay Thai providing many of the greats over the years and Buriram stands out more than any other province in Thailand.

Often the only income is from farming and weather conditions often put paid to any real chance of making any sort of money, consequently there is a high level of poverty with Buriram suffering more than most provinces in this respect.
The village is also in an area where Thai is the second language,with the first language being a form of Khmer or Cambodian dialect.
The village is a long way from Buriram town and with not a lot for the local kids to do, it gives a real sense of pride to the community and an option for them other than falling into the lure of drugs.

The gym was started 12 years ago by Mr Sutjai Pumprakhon. A fan of Muay Thai from a young age, Sutjai
never actually fought himself, but with Buriram being such a hotbed of Muay Thai he got many opportunitys to learn the fight business inside out. He originally started out with a couple of bags hung from a tree and a mat on the earth floor. Sutjai originally wanted to have his two sons take up the art. He made steady progress with both his sons, Jedajaa and Chanaphon Kiatmuu 9, who both went on to fight under the promotional wing of SukoneSongchai.
Unable to commit themselves 100% to Muay Thai both sons stopped boxing to continue their studys. It was after they finished their studys and went to help their father run the gym that they helped to develop two outstanding young prospects and turned Kiatmuu 9 into a very special camp.

tarting out as a couple of ten year olds, Singdam and Panomrunglek have gone on to become two of the hottest fighters on the Bangkok fight circuit. Singdam was voted best fighter in Thailand for 2002 by the sportswriters of Thailand and is hot favorite to get the award this year, he has already been voted fighter of the year by both Lumpini stadium and The sports authority,and Panomrunglek won the Lumpini flyweight title to add to his collection of belts. The gym also has several other hot prospects coming through including Panomrungleks younger brother and Suadam Kiatmuu 9 younger brother of Singdam and with both Singdam and Panomrunglek being only 19 years of age, there are surely many more titles and awards on the way.

The training is like most other gyms with a 10 kilometre morning run but has a distinct advantage over the gyms in Bangkok in being surrounded by green fields and fresh clean air.
All the fighters are from the village and stay in their homes with their familys until they have a fight coming up and with the fight approaching they come to stay in Sutjai's house. The training also intensifies close to the fight with the boxers doing 8 rounds on the pads during the afternoon training session.
All of the boxers are encouraged to get an education as well as there are no certainties that they will make the grade as a boxer.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
i am the school of Buck the tiger. He taught me well. he died in combat. vs me

Any good gyms for somebody that is getting back into muay thai and is very rusty?

hello everybody, whats the muay thai mma training scene like in pattaya these days? heading there for atleast 6 months in october/november and i am working on my fitness to get ready for it.

I have fear of thunderstorms and I want to know how do you guys survive the thunder storms in Thailand?

One quick question out of interest, what size gloves do fighters usually wear for training(bag and pads) and what for sparring in Thai camps?

Going with a buddy to Phuket soon, soi ta-ied.

Hes training at Phuket Top Team. I was going to go to Suwit but cant find recent reviews on it. Last one i saw in the thread was like 2013. Anyone have any feedback on the place?

Thanks!

Going with a buddy to Phuket soon, soi ta-ied.

Hes training at Phuket Top Team. I was going to go to Suwit but cant find recent reviews on it. Last one i saw in the thread was like 2013. Anyone have any feedback on the place?

Thanks!
Wondering the same actually, prices are INSANE, and they have their own stadium. There are reviews from this year on their website btw. They have two sites for some reason, the updated one has no mention of Suwit in the domain name for some reason.
http://www.muaythai-thailand.com/muay-thai-camp-reviews-2019.html

Last edited:
I've been to Soi Tai Ed in Phuket twice in past 2 years, each visit was for 5 weeks. I really recommend it! Try and go for at least a month, else you won't enjoy the true benefit: it takes 2 weeks to get to a higher baseline and the real magic happens from week 3 onwards.

For Muay Thai and other fighting sports, I suggest you look at CMT (perviously called ChokChai) (beginners and intermediate) and Tiger or Phuket Top Team (intermediate and advanced).

For general fitness and crossfit, I suggest you look at Titan Fitness (beginner and intermediate) and Unit 27 (intermediate or advanced). But I really like Titan because of its unique fitness community feel and onsite clean eating restaurant.

The soi itself is fantastic, plenty of very healthy places to eat, very little nightlife so not much distraction, and yet only a 10-15 drive away from bright lights, beaches and entertainment.

Check out Brad Newton on Youtube who has made many excellent VDO's explaining how the soi works, and is accurate in his reviews.

I've been to Soi Tai Ed in Phuket twice in past 2 years, each visit was for 5 weeks. I really recommend it! Try and go for at least a month, else you won't enjoy the true benefit: it takes 2 weeks to get to a higher baseline and the real magic happens from week 3 onwards.

For Muay Thai and other fighting sports, I suggest you look at CMT (perviously called ChokChai) (beginners and intermediate) and Tiger or Phuket Top Team (intermediate and advanced).

For general fitness and crossfit, I suggest you look at Titan Fitness (beginner and intermediate) and Unit 27 (intermediate or advanced). But I really like Titan because of its unique fitness community feel and onsite clean eating restaurant.

The soi itself is fantastic, plenty of very healthy places to eat, very little nightlife so not much distraction, and yet only a 10-15 drive away from bright lights, beaches and entertainment.

Check out Brad Newton on Youtube who has made many excellent VDO's explaining how the soi works, and is accurate in his reviews.
How is Phuket Top Team nowadays? I've heard they do really big classes and there are some gym bros there...

I'm juggling between it and Sutai as the latter since seems smaller but more friendly (at least that's what I've heard)?

Been hearing that for muay thai best gyms are in bangkok?

Just a rumor i heard

Back