Muay Thai + Wrestling , a good combination?

Muay Thai and wrestling is a very good combination because of the clinch, too many people just think of the kicks, a guy with great wrestling and great muay thai clinch game will do great in MMA, see Demetrious Johnson and Alistair Overeem for examples.

Muay Thai and wrestling is a very good combination because of the clinch, too many people just think of the kicks, a guy with great wrestling and great muay thai clinch game will do great in MMA, see Demetrious Johnson and Alistair Overeem for examples.
It does, when I took grappling more seriously, my first thought would be it would never work as they're too polar opposite, but after we went over (their) clinching and greco, it felt intuitive to integrate without much confusion. Sacrifice trips are another story though, thats never gonna feel intuitive to me.

If you're going to fight you would be combining the best striking base with the best grappling base...work hard and you'll be tough to deal with

hell yea i actually think thats a amazing combination because of wrestling dominance in defense of take downs . Because usually if your a good muay thai fighter you like to stand up but theres a plan b your good enough with your striking and muay thai but you wanna take your opponent down your wrestling comes in handy again. I love wrestling and muay thai combination I just think its beastly lol

The only problem with wrestling is the lack of submissions. Or fighting from your back. BJJ addresses more ground game concerns.

Sambo would be my go to pick, but Judo is second best. A tie between BJJ and Wrestling

Wrestling + Boxing is probably a better combo. Most wrestlers prefer boxing over kickboxing because they don't have to leave their base and compromise takedown defense. Examples of the style in action: Mark Munoz, BJ Penn, Brock Lesnar, Rampage. They don't throw many kicks; they box in the standup and use wrestling for TD defense or actively taking the other guy down.

Muay thai + BJJ seems to work well together as well. Examples include: Shogun, Jose Aldo, pretty much anybody thats ever fought for Chute Boxe, and others I can't think of right now. They let their hands and feet fly with little worry for being taken down.

But with the wrestling level being so high in MMA, I think most people are shifting towards wrestling now which naturally moves them into boxing rather than kickboxing.

But nothings set in stone, there are plenty of sick fighters who mix up every style.

Karate guys or people with amazing quick in and out movement seem to destroy wrestling heavy fighters in mma.

There are exceptions but generally I see guys like Machida, his brothers, and other Karate fighters Matador dodge takedowns, or stuff them easier with that lower stance. And pick the wrestler appart on the stand up

Back