Muay Thai + Wrestling , a good combination?

Thrasher666

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that BJJ and Muay Thai is the best combination, but I can't afford BJJ. And wrestling is very cheap here.

Thoughts?

Two words, Jon Jones.

also what style of wrestling is it?

You can't go wrong with this skillset. Make sure you're training wrestling with submissions in mind though if you're planning on transitioning to MMA.

Have you ever thought of trying Judo? You would have a good understanding of control + submissions plus it's very cheap in most places.

hell yea i actually think thats a amazing combination because of wrestling dominance in defense of take downs . Because usually if your a good muay thai fighter you like to stand up but theres a plan b your good enough with your striking and muay thai but you wanna take your opponent down your wrestling comes in handy again. I love wrestling and muay thai combination I just think its beastly lol

You can't go wrong with this skillset. Make sure you're training wrestling with submissions in mind though if you're planning on transitioning to MMA.

Have you ever thought of trying Judo? You would have a good understanding of control + submissions plus it's very cheap in most places.

Actually, I used to train in Judo, but my instructor is lazy and not a good one. That's the reason why I'm not doing Judo any more.

This is an excellent combination. Wrestling would especially help mitigate where the fight goes. For example, if you were fighting a BJJ fighter, he wouldn't be able to take the fight to the ground because your wrestling would be better than his and you could beat him standing. If a fighter has better striking than you, then you could take him down and beat him up there (supposing that he doesn't have any BJJ knowledge).

I've heard that BJJ and Muay Thai is the best combination, but I can't afford BJJ. And wrestling is very cheap here.

Thoughts?

Yes, it will be good. Don't forget to train sub defense tho...

Like in anything, you must immerse yourself in kickboxing without thinking about going to the ground so your stand up skills don't suck ass. That would put you in grave danger. *See - Gomi vs Griffin (worst fkn low kick I have seen in a while, and he got KO'd for it)

Get good at wrestling too. After you have a handle on both - then work MMA.

I don't really understand why all boxers and kickboxers don't train some form of wrestling as part of their strength and conditioning.

I don't really understand why all boxers and kickboxers don't train some form of wrestling as part of their strength and conditioning.

Wrestling's tough man. I hate takedown drills cuz Im not used to them, its fkn scary when a guy has your legs and is about to slam you down. I have good movement but I don't know the moves. I end up doing JJ instead of wrestling. I guess I should ask some of the wrestlers in my school to show me some ground control stuff. I could incorporate that into my JJ maybe...

Go for it dude.
If I wasn't old and washed up I'd get back
to wrestling in an instant, and keep training my
boxing as well.

I may be a bit biased but I honestly think that boxing before muay thai is better. Muay Thai doesn't teach you the basics and fundamentals that you learn in boxing. Muay Thai is cool but they don't know how to box. So it's more like kicking hard and elbows and knees with poor footwork a lazy jab and a slow telegraphed jab cross combo.

Learn how to box!!!

Of course. Take what you can from any art. It's always a good idea to have good stand up as well as a solid ground game.

If you can make them work fluidly in conjunction with one another it would be great.

Wrestling + Boxing is probably a better combo. Most wrestlers prefer boxing over kickboxing because they don't have to leave their base and compromise takedown defense. Examples of the style in action: Mark Munoz, BJ Penn, Brock Lesnar, Rampage. They don't throw many kicks; they box in the standup and use wrestling for TD defense or actively taking the other guy down.

Muay thai + BJJ seems to work well together as well. Examples include: Shogun, Jose Aldo, pretty much anybody thats ever fought for Chute Boxe, and others I can't think of right now. They let their hands and feet fly with little worry for being taken down.

But with the wrestling level being so high in MMA, I think most people are shifting towards wrestling now which naturally moves them into boxing rather than kickboxing.

But nothings set in stone, there are plenty of sick fighters who mix up every style.

Back