Muay Thai vs Neo Footwork

so mma gloves and neo shit work make mma fighters better than true muay tai fighters in muay tai fights ?

alright..

After watching the video... do all Muay Thai guys stand still like that? I'm from a karate background with a bit of boxing thrown in, so I've watched very little of it. My own best defense is moving my feet, so it's strange to me to watch two guys being so stationary in front of each other like that, though I can see a lot of punches are blocked and kicks checked. I guess you conserve energy that way, but still... hard to conceive of just standing and blocking like that with mma gloves.

Yeah bro, they don't do shit but stand there. Typical Muay Thai fighting.

All of this new footwork stuff is possible cause of the size of the octagon.

You can't do the same in the ring. You will run out of dancing space quickly and you'd have to actually fight.

The cage is larger and more like a field. It allows more of true combat. The foot work and movement in a wide arena would be a great advantage to fight a fighter with bad habits from fighting in a small box. Another disadvantage for the Thais is that they use kicks that work well in this small box. They do not have the right range to use elite spin attacks. The small gloves, also more realistic, more like a fist. Advantage to the small glove fighter or no glove fighter.

Of course MMA has many terrible strikers who fight at a high level because of their wrestling, but a fighter with elite movement, diverse kicks, and small glove real fist fighting experience will crush a fighter who fights in a small square with pillow hands. Conor McGregor or Edson Barboza would destroy Buakaw in these rules.

Completely different IMO.

What Rothwell did was not that...and the gogo choke was a large reason why he won, not his footwork.

It's exactly the same thing. Inspired by Cruz. Stop talking about things you have no clue about.

Neo footwork is the biggest myth in MMA.

It only works in the manlet divisions because people don't have power.

If a bigger tried that in a heavier division with ugly swings like Dominick does with his arms, he would get kod with a good punch.
This.

Dominick Cruz is a very intelligent man who studied the footage of the great Willie Pep.

"I looked [Pep] up a while back when I was younger and I started watching his tapes. They're old school, black and white. One thing that really stuck out to me about Willie Pep that is huge for mixed martial arts is, I didn't look for somebody who moved their feet. I looked for somebody who moved their feet right for the sport of mixed martial arts in boxing. [...] Willie Pep, if you look at his old tapes, would steer people into his power, would steer people into his footwork, would steer people into his punches. That's even another level of footwork that you can take it to when you get as good as that." - Dominick Cruz

That Muay Thai guy would be just another victim who'd get Willie Pep'd by Cruz in any sport that allows punches and footwork.

TJ Dillashaw studied the footage of Dominick Cruz. He's a poor copy who got schooled by out of his prime crippled version of Cruz.

If a bigger tried that in a heavier division with ugly swings like Dominick does with his arms, he would get kod with a good punch.
Muhammad Ali?

That Muay Thai guy would be just another victim who'd get Willie Pep'd by Cruz in any sport that allows punches and footwork.

TJ Dillashaw studied the footage of Dominick Cruz. He's a poor copy who got schooled by out of his prime crippled version of Cruz.

is "Willie Pep'd" code word for decision'd while the crowd is sleeping?

I wouldn't exactly make TJ look like a bum since he lost by the narrowest of margins. Rogan is a fan and his entire podcast thought TJ won. Also, TJ has more finishes at this stage than Dom will sniff in his life, so he's not exactly the poor version.

Cruz did not school Dillashaw; they had an extremely close fight. Anyone trying to diminish Dillashaw as a fighter by citing his fight with Cruz is also diminishing the fighter that Cruz is.

If Cruz is a great fighter, then Dillashaw is as well, their fight shows that there isn't much to choose from between these two fighters.

Not really...
benrothwell.gif

Cruz did not school Dillashaw; they had an extremely close fight. Anyone trying to diminish Dillashaw as a fighter by citing his fight with Cruz is also diminishing the fighter that Cruz is.

If Cruz is a great fighter, then Dillashaw is as well, their fight shows that there isn't much to choose from between these two fighters.

He schooled him for at least 4 rounds, TJ was hitting air half of the fight out of pure desperation.

He schooled him for at least 4 rounds, TJ was hitting air half of the fight out of pure desperation.

Nonsense. TJ was hitting Dom as often as Dom was hitting him. If Cruz' footwork led him to cause TJ to miss often but at the expense of being able to mount very little offense of his own, and in the end they both landed the same amount of offense successfully, then though Dom's style is prettier to watch, TJ's style was equally effective.

The difference in the fight was Dom's takedowns, which no doubt were facilitated by his excellent footwork. But in terms of striking alone, TJ had the very slight edge, or at the least was Dom's equal.

Ive never seen that kind of fancy footwork be effective against elite thai fighters. It works against decent ones sometimes, but not consistently.

Back