Muay-Thai Specific Daily Workout Routines

CQ

White Belt
Reaction score
I am going to start my Muay Thai training soon and would like to know from other who practice the art, as far as conditioning/workout, what does your day consist of? I'd like to get a little insight on how other Muay Thai artists take their training and conditioning.

Thanks

I am going to start my Muay Thai training soon and would like to know from other who practice the art, as far as conditioning/workout, what does your day consist of? I'd like to get a little insight on how other Muay Thai artists take their training and conditioning.

Thanks

Just train buddy, your session should consist of a lot of "conditioning" anyways, find a good gym and enjoy :D

I understand. I've been training a bit already, I was just trying to see from others how they ran there training.

similar to boxers in a real gym,not cardio boxing.lots of bag work, stretch always always warm up or so my torn rotator cuff says. wrap your hands, shadow box,do 3 minute rounds do the various 4 way excercises that boxers like,run some and stretch at the end.sleep and eat balance teh rest of your life so training fits in etc etc

similar to boxers in a real gym,not cardio boxing.lots of bag work, stretch always always warm up or so my torn rotator cuff says. wrap your hands, shadow box,do 3 minute rounds do the various 4 way excercises that boxers like,run some and stretch at the end.sleep and eat balance teh rest of your life so training fits in etc etc

This. But on the days that I wasnt able to make it to the gym, I would:

3 mile run (preferably at the beach or on a trail in the hills nearby)
Jump rope 3-5 min rounds
Shadowbox for 3-5 min rounds
And I'd throw in some kettle bell exercises and ab work. I don't have a heavy bag at my house so this was all just to squeeze in some conditioning when I couldn't make it to the actual class. Cuz trust me buddy,they'll condition you plenty there :)

When hitting pads and sparring (ie most of the time), I never wear wraps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means a weak puncher. My wrists are about the same width as my fists though.

Also,
balance teh rest of your life so training fits in

I used to be of the opinion that it is the other way around. I am bit of a perfectionist/nutter however.

When hitting pads and sparring (ie most of the time), I never wear wraps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means a weak puncher. My wrists are about the same width as my fists though.

Also,

I used to be of the opinion that it is the other way around. I am bit of a perfectionist/nutter however.

yeah, when I train, I don't wear hand wraps. I want to though, just don't have time. I need to now though.. sprained my wrist :(

yeah, when I train, I don't wear hand wraps. I want to though, just don't have time. I need to now though.. sprained my wrist :(

If you've sprained your wrist, take it easy regardless.

You're routines should incorporate lots of running, skipping, shadowboxing/bag work, and bodyweight exercises, with some weight work. Cardio is very important in lasting the entire round, which is where the running and skipping comes in. In my opinion, sprinting would be better than jogging, and then do some skipping afterward for 30mins to an hour so you get two different kinds of cardio in. Shadowboxing is almost interchangeable with bag work, because both get you working on your technique, which is also very important. Treat any technique work like a fight, going for three minute rounds with minimal break to almost "simulate" a fight so you're conditioning is up to par. Following this, you should try to include LOTS of bodyweight exercises, the best being push ups, chin ups, and any ab work really. With just a medicine ball, ab workouts and push ups can be increased in difficulty greatly. The Chin ups are to help develop strong back and lats to help with punching power, and to mainly improve overall fitness. When performing any reps, try to make them explosive (ie clapping push ups and chin ups) so that you get used to exploding rather than just moving through the repetitions slowly. There's nothing wrong with performing them like that, but explosive is going to help you more in muay thai. Finally, weights can be included if you have them to help build a lot of strength on your body, and can really help you cut or gain weight. Just simple deadlifts, squats, bench presses, and light dumbbell work will really help you gain great strength, and the other exercises will help improve power. Hope this helps :)

EDIT- stretching should be after you warm up, after you shadowbox, and after you're completed workout. Even when you're watching TV, during commercials you can try stretching lightly, but don't overdue anything because if you're muscles are cold then you are more prone to injury. But stretching as much as possible is very very helpful!

i believe that weighted or just plain chins are an underrated exercises for increasing the power of your plum. With MT we always thinking kicking and punching and forget that what makes MT so awesome, and so much more valuable than pure kickboxing, is the elements of clinch and grappling work involved.

Back