Muay Thai score; are fighters judged by their ability to remain standing? Against sweeps and throws.

I could point you to some vids in French, but yes apparently falling down is scored heavily in the stadiums.

Basically it looks really bad to the judges if you dont have good balance. Ive watched countless MT fights for years and its hard to pin down exactly how much it scores, but its definitely significant. Its much more important than in boxing or MMA for example.

In western circles it is seen as a way to show dominance and ring control. It doesn’t score the way a punch or kick would but it definitely leaves an impression on the judges and demoralizes your opponent.

Yes, if you fall down you lose points. If a fight is very close in Thailand, a sweep can make the difference between winning or losing a fight.

Yes at the same time I have seen many stadium fights where one fighter spent half the rounds on his ass yet still won because he had superior kicking.

Look up lower level provincial/festival fights in Thailand, that's like the whole game, not falling on your rear end.

I remember when i first started learning Muay Thai over 12 years ago, i transitioned from a more American/Trying-to-be-dutch style.

I would rush in to throw combos followed by a lowkick in sparring and my trainer would shake his head, give me a smack and tell me it was ugly and wouldn't be effective for winning a fight. "No balance, no balance, no control." I'd get the shit teeped and swept out of me in those days.

I can understand why kickboxers don't like Muay Thai, dealing with getting your leg caught, getting smothered in the clinch and all those tricky sweeps and dumps is a whole seperate art unto itself. They aren't equipped for it.

Having a solid stance/footing is extremely important in Muay Thai, that's why i think if more Thais switched over to MMA, they would be dominant because even though the stance and clinch work are different from MMA they are so single-mindedly focused on not falling. They would just need to make some adjustments in their clinch game for wrestling.

Basically it looks really bad to the judges if you dont have good balance. Ive watched countless MT fights for years and its hard to pin down exactly how much it scores, but its definitely significant. Its much more important than in boxing or MMA for example.

Isn't your glove touching the canvas technically a down in Boxing?

I can understand why kickboxers don't like Muay Thai, dealing with getting your leg caught, getting smothered in the clinch and all those tricky sweeps and dumps is a whole seperate art unto itself. They aren't equipped for it.

Lol I can imagine. "Bro what are you doing?"

Thanks for the answers.

Look up lower level provincial/festival fights in Thailand, that's like the whole game, not falling on your rear end.

Could you please indicate me some videos, I imagine the titles are in Thai and I don't understand the language.

I like Sylvie's commentary on her fights, since they're in English and her insight is pretty great.

She's pretty thorough with how scoring works in this video.

Isn't your glove touching the canvas technically a down in Boxing?

Only if you go down on the end of a connected punch, you can fall over and it won't be scored a knockdown but it's true to say balance plays a big factor in many knockdowns.

i like this in muay thai otherwise we get more of fighter do flying or rolling attack.
and then they save their ass by falling to the ground.

that's why i think if more Thais switched over to MMA, they would be dominant because even though the stance and clinch work are different from MMA they are so single-mindedly focused on not falling. They would just need to make some adjustments in their clinch game for wrestling.
Really u think someone might have A level ( not to talk about A+++ level ) wresslin after problably maybe 1 year fulltime training? = gave this guy to the Cejudo and let's see his wrasslin levels...... the same weight ofc.
I can understand why kickboxers don't like Muay Thai,
Why they should like it? We do have enough KBers switched to boxing or MMA not otherwise + this bragging better is to execute without european money cos inferiour ppl should not waste even their time to watch ultimte GODS.................. better let them in their own market and income without too small euro money for promotions. If they must be better in all arts, let it's bee and with their own money for promotions too.

Why they should like it? We do have enough KBers switched to boxing or MMA not otherwise + this bragging better is to execute without european money cos inferiour ppl should not waste even their time to watch ultimte GODS.................. better let them in their own market and income without too small euro money for promotions. If they must be better in all arts, let it's bee and with their own money for promotions too.

<{vega}>

Really u think someone might have A level ( not to talk about A+++ level ) wresslin after problably maybe 1 year fulltime training? = gave this guy to the Cejudo and let's see his wrasslin levels...... the same weight ofc.

Wut

That's wtf that maybe dreams are too much about flowchart aka : chop legs and we do have elbows and we are damn superiour.
Or course, kings.
About success to chop legs good is to watch Yusupov vs Yod fight and no excuses about weight difference LOL, for underdog.....
Or about elbows usage in europe better consult with Glowacki not in the forum.
How dumb and uncapable europeans are. LOL.

-----------
Sit in these promotions and brag further without our time wasted to watch.
-----------
Better reallty they should find out 1. proper jobs 2. live without tourists etc money for tourist gyms 3. internet might help to earn a lot.
-----------------

That's wtf that maybe dreams are too much about flowchart aka : chop legs and we do have elbows and we are damn superiour.
Or course, kings.
About success to chop legs good is to watch Yusupov vs Yod fight and no excuses about weight difference LOL, for underdog.....

-----------
-----------
Better reallty they should find out 1. proper jobs 2. live without tourists etc money for tourist gyms 3. internet might help to earn a lot.
-----------------
<30>

Or course, kings.

-----------
-----------
-----------------
<{afrobol}>

Back