Muay Thai Round by Round

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Nam42589, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Nam42589

Nam42589 White Belt

Hello,

I have been researching a lot of Muay Thai lately. I had always heard that they always start really slow and round 4/5 consist of mostlly clinching. Could anyone give me an analysis of what actually goes on round by round (the tempo and the techniques used). I know a lot depends on styles and you are trying to win and it depends on the other person, but I have noticed very common things round by round when I watch traditional Muay Thai fights. Thank you for your time.

2. bowlie

bowlie Purple Belt

The first round is like a striptease - subtly showing your opponent what you want him to see but hiding what he really wants to see.

3. Tug

Tug Green Belt

4. PocketNinja

PocketNinja Yellow Belt

Damien is legit

expanding/ summing up his article jove always been told
    round 1 is feeling out
    round 2 3 (4) is the real fight
    round 4/5 they tend to know who's ahead and a lot of the time in thailand they'll be fighting within a few weeks so won't go crazy to try and put someone away like you see in western boxing/ thai fights when there's the "you gotta finish him to win" mentality for fighters that are clearly behind

5. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

There is also the fact that rounds 1 and 2 tend to be slower than 3-4 because the betting lines are still being set... going for the finish before round 2 means less betting goes on, less money is exchanged. Both culturally and financially, it makes sense for the fight to go on longer.

This is mostly for stadium fights, though. A Lumpinee stadium fight is going to have a lot different of a tempo than a Thai Fight fight.

6. NAKMUAY18

NAKMUAY18 Brown Belt

Damion Trainor is beyond legit, a world class vet. What he says is pretty much gosple.
    I'm going to add though, this generally apliys to Thailand a lot more than the rest of the world. Thai judges are obviously insanely well educated in Muay Thai, the western world is a lot different. Typically in the rest of the world fights are judged on the standard 10point must system, often the first round is judged as 10-10.

7. PocketNinja

PocketNinja Yellow Belt

good point nak legit doesn't really cover it

one of the pioneers/ faces of decent muay thai in the UK

his blog is great stuff