muay thai questions

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by smittaayymma, Aug 23, 2010.

1. smittaayymma

smittaayymma Green Belt

i'm moving and there aren't any bjj schools where i'm going to be for the next 9 months. i'm only going to be able to train here and there when i go to other cities or visit home but not steady enough to stay in shape. there is however a school with muay thai classes. a few questions.

what should i expect for the first class?

how long before i'd be sparring at practice? (i don't want to be thrown in with experienced people to get my ass kicked right away i'd like to learn fundamentals and stuff first)

will i have black eyes cuts bruises etc. on my face from practice? (i have job recruiting coming up in january and i don't think it would be good to show up with black eyes and swollen face)

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

If the school isn't full of ego then you won't have any problems. No one is going to beat the crap out of a new student, and most experienced people are nothing but helpful when it comes to guiding a newbie.

You prob will start sparring lightly after the first month or two but it depends on the school, some might throw you in on the first week but have you do more "drill sparring", but seriously don't worry, just go check it out and if you like the vibe there then I highly suggest training there. MT is an amazing martial art (and my base art).

3. Roger z2

Roger z2 White Belt

In my club they the teacher tries to get you up to speed as soon as possible, then layer and improve your skills as the weeks go by. (Opposed to doing one thing for a week then expecting you to have mastered it). No pressure, if a club doesn't allow you to back out of anything your uncomfortable with, theres no point going there.

4. smittaayymma

smittaayymma Green Belt

yea i just like staying in shape and this would be a good way to do that and learn something fun and cool. i've literally never been hit in the face or head so it would be an entirely new experience for me.

5. jackstraw424

jackstraw424 White Belt

same! haha thats what makes me really nervous about starting

6. The Victor

The Victor White Belt

from my experience at least at my MT gym they start you off with very light sparring and my trainers make sure people are only going 40% or less. They really do ease you into sparring and make sure nobody is going to get hurt unnecessarily. They usually start off with drills like you work on defense, he works on offense. Its really a lot like practicing dancing funny as it sounds.

Boxing was a whole different story tho, I was thrown in there with the wolves, heavyweights, golden glovers, amateurs, and even one pro although he did take it easy on me, but everybody else was trying to take my head off, lol

7. Payak

Payak Brown Belt Professional Fighter

remember you dont have to spa if you not want

8. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

Been doing MT for about 7 months. The only injuries I've had that were visible at work are occasional bruised/slightly bloody knuckles, back when I was punching with poor technique, and one minor black eye from a light-sparring mishap. I've also bruised the hell out of my shins working on kicks, but pants cover that. Anyway, even the black eye wasn't that big a deal, everyone at work asked what happened and I said I took an accidental hit during my Muay Thai class. No one cared. If anything, I think my boss's opinion of me went up.

Obviously if you've got job interviews or a big presentation or something you want to look your best, but really I don't think it's likely that you'll get any injuries that are problematic, and certainly none that would last until January. If you're worried, just don't spar the last couple weeks before your interviews come up.

9. Bsum

Bsum Orange Belt

I just started Muay Thai (2 classes thus far) and the only advice I can give is to not show up out of shape or you won't make it through (gas out).
    You definitely want to pace yourself in the beginning...

Thus far we've done sit-ups, jump rope, push-ups and pad work.

10. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

what to expect? second guessing your conditioning. i was 'lucky' to start on a conditioning night, tremendously fun considering how out of shape i was. normally my classes go for warm ups for half an hour or so, bad/pad/mit work for an hour then half an hour of sparring at the end followed by cooldowns.

i've been doing muay thai for almost 3 months 4 nights a week and i started full sparring last week, until then it's just been light stuff - working technique/combos on a target that moves/fights back.

black eyes, unlikely unless someone decides to be a dick. cuts probably not, you might get a cut on your lip once in a while. nothing major.

if you want to spar, you'll be using 16oz which pretty much lessen the chance of bruising and cuts to the face from what i understand, as well as reducing the impact considerably.

11. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

You get out what you put in. Overall, you have nothing to worry about.

12. RMMaryport

RMMaryport Green Belt

The main bruises you'll get will be on your shins and knees, your face should be fine, keep your guard up at all times ;)

13. Taskforce3Tango

Taskforce3Tango Loose cannon

Ease into it. Don't try to take on everything at once. You can spar if you want, but coming from your background you are going to be breaking a lot of habits. You should work on standing, posture, form, basic movements etc. Enjoy yourself.

14. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

You'll be fine TS.

First off, you don't have to spar if you don't want to.
    Secondly most schools dont even allow beginners to spar until 1-2 months of consistent training.

Also in sparring the speed and power level is usually around 50% so don't worry about black eyes and such.
    Besides, after 2 months of training I have a feeling you'll have learned enough about defense to avoid getting those black eyes and bruises on your face.

The biggest pain you'll have will be in your shins and legs.
    But thats one of the perks of Muay Thai....getting tougher.

15. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

I was in the same boat as you before I went to Xtreme Couture last summer; i'd only trained Judo & BJJ (took a few reality based striking classes offered at my gym, but never sparred), and I never got into fistfights as a kid.

Getting hit in the face isn't pleasant, but it honestly isn't as bad as you'd think; especially w/ gloves & a mouthguard, and since you never really spar at more than 50/60% tops. When I started out, I made sure only to go to beginners muay thai & boxing classes; after 2 weeks, I felt comfortable enough to try an intermediate class where they had sparring. I got handled for the most part, but the most important thing is to focus on the absolute basics- footwork/ circle away from opponent's power hand, jab, hands up, stay loose.

Most guys are chill though, and you don't have to spar until you feel ready, no place i've ever been to has required otherwise. It's fun man, give it a go!