Muay Thai plum

DrewGZA

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what the best exercises would be to apply and hold onto a successful Muay Thai clinch. It would probably involve something to keep your elbows pinched together, as well as the power to throw your opponent back and forth like a rag doll, and be able to still stand up and dish out punishment if he just tries to drop out of it; not to mention bring up really powerful knees from there.

Also if they are taller than you if the exercises should be in any way modified.

Thanks.

chin ups? or chins with palms facing each other if you want to get specific

Technique, technique, and then some more technique.

its my understanding that its core strength that makes you strong in the clinch. whether it be greco roman clinching or muay thai. try some zercher squats or overhead squating. i could be wrong tho...

Get put in the ring with some good fighters who will throw you around like a rag doll if yo udon't learn how to counter act it (especially when tired).

Also, some saxon side bends and pull ups with a varying grip distance.

Enjoy

I know from a fairly good muay thai fighter that says "the stronger your deadlift gets the stronger you get in the clinch"...

Of course its obvious that its a technicall skill, Thais spend more time practicing clinch than westerners and altough Thais are small they have strong clinch.

Its definately technique/timing, how many pro Thai fighters do you think Deadlift? Probably not even 5%. Also Id say something like neutral grip pullups, 6 to 12 and diagonal sledgehammer strikes and med ball torso swings probably are more relevant strength exercises for the clinch than the Deadlift.

Its definately technique/timing, how many pro Thai fighters do you think Deadlift? Probably not even 5%. Also Id say something like neutral grip pullups, 6 to 12 and diagonal sledgehammer strikes and med ball torso swings probably are more relevant strength exercises for the clinch than the Deadlift.

Could you imagine if they did deadlift though? Buakaw would be a mass murderer by now.

Well if your down in the 50 or 60 kg weightclasses and are going to be fighting in thailand you propably wont.

Now if your a big boned westerner that will compete in an 80 or 90kg or 100kg weightclass and will be fighting in Holland then that is another story.

For the later example I think deadlifts could serve you well at times...

find a 25 lbs medicine ball. place it between your forearms. raise your forearms to the sky and squeeze. if the medicine ball explodes, you have a solid plum.

There is some truth to the deadlift even though Thais don't generally deadlift. Wrestlers too are very strong in the clinch. I believe technique, coupled with very strong core and of course grip has to do with a strong clinch.

I would suggest dumbell pullovers because they strengthen both the lattimus dorsi as well the tricep. This aswell the peck deck, because the pectoralis major comes into place when holding your elbows together to avoid him pummeling in and getting inside your clinch.

Rist rolls, curls and chinups aswell, for holding the person tight to you.

Finally i would suggest deadlifts, to give you a stonger lower back/hamstrings to avoid the person trying to back break you.

Back