muay Thai leg kicks proper technique

Knive

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing MT for 3 months now. But recently I've noticed that some in my class especially the more experienced MT fighters have been telling me to swing my arm forward instead of backward when I kick. Currently when I kick I send whatever leg I'm kicking with that arm goes backward which I feel gives me more power in my kick, also my opposite arm goes up to protect my face. So I feel that my face is adequately protected while I get power on my kicks. I don't want to disrespect my fellow mates who have been training longer than I have and have more experience than me, but I've seen many videos where fighters are doing the same thing that I am. My instructor has also not corrected me. I'm kind of confused.

I've been practicing MT for 3 months now. But recently I've noticed that some in my class especially the more experienced MT fighters have been telling me to swing my arm forward instead of backward when I kick. Currently when I kick I send whatever leg I'm kicking with that arm goes backward which I feel gives me more power in my kick, also my opposite arm goes up to protect my face. So I feel that my face is adequately protected while I get power on my kicks. I don't want to disrespect my fellow mates who have been training longer than I have and have more experience than me, but I've seen many videos where fighters are doing the same thing that I am. My instructor has also not corrected me. I'm kind of confused.

i do it both ways, but i don't so much swing the arm forward, i just leave it up to protect my face. i've always been taught that neither is really wrong.

I've been shown both and I prefer swinging the arm backwards, I feel I get more power with it. Just go with your trainers advice, he'll correct you if you're doing something wrong.

I think the main reasoning behind it is for protection from a straight punch right up the pipe as well is it being more difficult to counter/attack when your hand is behind you. However, if you are using your opposite arm to protect your face, you should be ok. Just be aware that you can't leave your arm hanging back after you throw the kick.

No right or wrong way, both have weaknesses and strengths to them.

Keeping the arm up to protect the face is a more conservative attack; there is less power behind it, but you are less susceptible to a counter.
Swinging the arm down along your side generates more power, but also leaves your head more available to strikes.
Both styles are good in certain situations, however it is important to commit to one or the other, rather than leaving your arm somewhere in between.

I can see the point of keeping the hand up, but whats the point of swinging it to the front?

swinging the arm back will not leave you open if you use correct footwork

Unless you're following the leg kick up, don't stand directly in front of someone while you're kicking them and you won't have to worry.

Also, I hope you're not putting your hand directly in front of your face when you kick.

Don't worry about it unless they are consistently hitting you at the same time you do your kick. Once that happens it would be time to re-evaluate how you're going about things.

I do it both ways. I swing all the way back when I'm trying to kick hard. If I'm going for speed, I'll sometimes stick my right hand straight out and jam it into my sparring partners face and leave it there while I kick (low kicks). If I throw this way I probably land about at least 80% of my low kicks.

Back