Muay thai is too overrated on these forums

Ignashov**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Almost no one likes muay thai. When I say almost no one I mean world wide not people on the forums. Yeah, on the forums, muay thai looks very loved and respected but that because they (muay thai fans) are somehow in a big number on these forums and also very vocal.

Muay thai never was big and never will be. There is a reason why muay thai never was big..... Because is BORING as hell. The dynamic is ten times slower than kickboxing. Too many cuts because of those boring elbows. To much clinch game where almost nothing happens. Also, because of those elbows and too much clinch game, not only thier dynamic sucks, but also they don't have boxing at all. Boxing in kickboxing is amazing by any means; technique, dynamics, KO'S.

Like Ghita said in 2009 (he was a muay thai fighter) muay thai is much below kickboxing and that k-1 rules are way much better than muay thai rules. Again, when I say kickboxing, I mean k-1 rules. Glory and almost all kickboxing organisations does have K-1 rules.

K-1 rules means:
-Spinning back fist,
-spinning back kicks,
-Frontal kicks,
-Knees
-One knee in clinch if you grab your opponent with both hands, but you can throw more knees if you have only a hand on your opponent.
-4 seconds of clinch game
-Kicking game

Again kickboxing rules are different from k-1 rules. Almost no promotion/organisation use kickboxing rules. All big organisations have k-1 rules.

So yeah, muay thai is boring and ugly and they dosen't have many good fighters at all.

NOW, I know a lot of muay thai fans will try to kill me in a verbal context. But I can deal with IT.

This is the truth !

Last edited:
Ajarn Ghita is a wise man.

in what world are elbow's boring?

Ajarn Ghita is a wise man.

in what world are elbow's boring?

Because the fighters use elbow hoping to cut the opponent instead of using some nice boxing. Also, because of that thier boxing is horrible.

And ftr have a lot of good fighters

there are different reasons for muay thai being not so attractive to the big crowd as kickboxing and/or mma

mt in the stadiums is where the highest level is at and the weight classes just don't go higher than the lowest weight classes in the rest (western mostly) of the world......people like to see big(ger) guys fight and not the lowest weight class

this is a fact.....heavyweight divisions have always been very popular in comparison to the lowest weight classes.....even though the skill level is higher at the lowest weight classes

add to that the fact that muay thai promotors are just horrificly bad at their job.......they haven't made the right decisions to make the sport grow

add to that that mt iin Thailand is too much influenced by gamblers....for fucks sake...fighters go easy on each other for two rounds and when it becomes clear 1 fighter is better than the other......they both cruise to a decision, live to fight another day

this does not appeal to the big crowd.....people want to see comebacks......people want to see drama.......Andy ristie vs davit kiria.,....ristie was clearly the better fighter bet Kiria didn't give up and came back with a tko victory....in Thailand they usually just cruise to a decision.......and please don't quote this with video examples that prove me wrong.....for every example there are ten fold of examples that confirm my words

also the fights in the staidums are so poorly televised....everything looks crappy when in fact these are world class fighters

outside of thailand the attention for mt has died.....ever since k1 got big in the nineties.....the attention for mt has faded.....alot of dutch and french fighters for example chose to fight kickboxing or mma because the pay is better...........and if ya do stay at MT, ya have to be a midget because guys like Carnage wil always have a stain on their carreer for fighting mt guys in extremely weak divisions

as long as KB and MMA are paying better and have their shit together......MT will stay what it is: a national sport in thailand with a couple of good fighters abroad

there are different reasons for muay thai being not so attractive to the big crowd as kickboxing and/or mma

mt in the stadiums is where the highest level is at and the weight classes just don't go higher than the lowest weight classes in the rest (western mostly) of the world......people like to see big(ger) guys fight and not the lowest weight class

this is a fact.....heavyweight divisions have always been very popular in comparison to the lowest weight classes.....even though the skill level is higher at the lowest weight classes

add to that the fact that muay thai promotors are just horrificly bad at their job.......they haven't made the right decisions to make the sport grow

add to that that mt iin Thailand is too much influenced by gamblers....for fucks sake...fighters go easy on each other for two rounds and when it becomes clear 1 fighter is better than the other......they both cruise to a decision, live to fight another day

this does not appeal to the big crowd.....people want to see comebacks......people want to see drama.......Andy ristie vs davit kiria.,....ristie was clearly the better fighter bet Kiria didn't give up and came back with a tko victory....in Thailand they usually just cruise to a decision.......and please don't quote this with video examples that prove me wrong.....for every example there are ten fold of examples that confirm my words

also the fights in the staidums are so poorly televised....everything looks crappy when in fact these are world class fighters

outside of thailand the attention for mt has died.....ever since k1 got big in the nineties.....the attention for mt has faded.....alot of dutch and french fighters for example chose to fight kickboxing or mma because the pay is better...........and if ya do stay at MT, ya have to be a midget because guys like Carnage wil always have a stain on their carreer for fighting mt guys in extremely weak divisions

as long as KB and MMA are paying better and have their shit together......MT will stay what it is: a national sport in thailand with a couple of good fighters abroad

This explain it all

I prefer Muay Thai and I definitely wouldn't call it boring. You can do spinning back fists and kicks in Muay Thai too.

any form of karate is better than dutch kickboxing, western boxing, and muay thai combined.

The way you talk about Muay Thai only shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

The way you talk about Muay Thai only shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Like what? At least I fought and trained on both muay thai and k-1 rules. Yeah, at amatuer level. But still....

Because the fighters use elbow hoping to cut the opponent instead of using some nice boxing. Also, because of that thier boxing is horrible.

It's not. It just doesn't score as much. Educate yourself. Plenty of thai boxing champs coming out of Muay Thai.

Muay Thai isnt boring per say. But the way its promoted sucks and its not all clean and Vegas like in comparison to K-1 and Glory it looks so nice and has like a Vegas/Japanese style to it.

I reckon its because there isnt much money in Thailand as opposed to other orgs eh? Plus overly clinching is boring, which is partially why there is clinching rules.
I also agree about the hands. In KB the hands are still very clean and effective, while in Muay Thai all they care about is clinch and kicks it seems.

And like what the other guy said, seems like its very easy to avoid getting finished in MT, while in K-1 and Glory its very exciting and there are always finishes and knockdowns.

So yeah, muay thai is boring and ugly and they dosen't have many good fighters at all.
If you like K-1 so much then surely you have seen the K-1 MAX 2004 tournament. Tell me what you saw in that tournament.

You hit the nail on the head, really (though I can't say I know much about Muay Thai promoters or gambling). The bold is especially true imo.

I think overall a lot of Muay Thai is just too technical for the average person to get into, though; you can't appreciate it while expecting these guys to be dying in the ring and breaking ribs with knees every time they clinch and shit (which is the impression many seem to have about Muay Thai-- that it's violent and brutal when it's usually slow-burning and tactical).
aModerateThreat said:
any form of karate is better than dutch kickboxing, western boxing, and muay thai combined.
What if any form of karate is combined with all of those things?

However, I will concede that TMAs seem to emphasize things like distance and timing a lot more, which is of course really important fundamentally.

Almost no one likes muay thai. When I say almost no one I mean world wise not people on the forums. Yeah, on the forums, muay thai looks very loved and respected but that because they (muay thi fans) are somehow in a big number on these forums and also very vocal.

Muay thai never was big and never will be. There is a reason why muay thai never was big..... Because is BORING as hell. The dynamic is ten times slower than kickboxing. Too many cuts because of those boring elbows. To much clinch game where almost nothing happens. Also, because of those elbows and too much clinch game, not only thier dynamic sucks, but also they don't have boxing at all. Boxing in kickboxing is amazing by any means; technique, dynamics, KO'S.

Like Ghita said in 2009 (he was a muay thai fighter) muay thai is much below kickboxing and that k-1 rules are way much better than muay thai rules. Again, when I say kickboxing, I mean k-1 rules. Glory and almost all kickboxing organisations does have K-1 rules.

K-1 rules means:
-Spinning back fist,
-spinning back kicks,
-Frontal kicks,
-Knees
-One knee in clinch if you grab your opponent with both hands, but you can throw more knees if you have only a hand on your opponent.
-4 seconds of clinch game
-Kicking game

Again kickboxing rules are different of k-1 rules. Almost no promotion/organisation use kickboxing rules. All big organisations have k-1 rules.

NOW, I know a lot of muay thai fans will try to kill me in a verbal context. But I can deal with IT.

This is the truth !

Shouldn't you be under a bridge waiting for billy goats?

Muay Thai isnt boring per say. But the way its promoted sucks and its not all clean and Vegas like in comparison to K-1 and Glory it looks so nice and has like a Vegas/Japanese style to it.

I reckon its because there isnt much money in Thailand as opposed to other orgs eh? Plus overly clinching is boring, which is partially why there is clinching rules.
I also agree about the hands. In KB the hands are still very clean and effective, while in Muay Thai all they care about is clinch and kicks it seems.

And like what the other guy said, seems like its very easy to avoid getting finished in MT, while in K-1 and Glory its very exciting and there are always finishes and knockdowns.

Pretty much this.

Back