Muay Thai is the style to beat Gaethje

TimeToTrain

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He doesn’t want to take it the ground so why bother worrying about him using take downs?

His style is simple. He aims for the legs and hunts for the chin. Gaethje is a good counter puncher but we’ve also seen Gaethje get countered numbers of times.

Since he decides to make his fights a stand up game, why not check his leg kicks and work him with crisp technical boxing?

Yes, he’s taken guys with a good Muay Thai base like Cerrone and Barboza. Cowboy got countered, Barboza got caught backing up with his hands down.

Fighters can beat Gaethje with little movement, leg checking and counter punching if they do not worry about getting taken down.

Agreed, TS. Alvarez and Poirier put on a MT clinic on Justin, as they’re widely known to do.

TS has a point but I would caveat that with the fact Gaethje back then was a different fighter and didn't pace himself the way he did against Tony.

The one style that hasn't been tested on Gaethje is grappling. Justin himself admits that his ground game is weak and has a tendency to gas so we'll find out this Saturday if a high level grappler can overcome his style.

Or just not suck ass at boxing? Alvarez did the most work with his body shots, Poirier just kept his punches straight and both left Gaethje concussed.

Or just not have shit defence like Vick and Tony

Are you suggesting Khabib would have an easier time simply checking leg kicks and outboxing Justin? I think the grappling is an easier path to victory for him, but I suppose we'll find out soon.

They are mma guys, they train and practice how to fight mma.

Gaethje's supposed wrestling skills, are right up there with Big County's Black belt BJJ skills.....no where to be found.

But Gaethje uses muay thai leg kicks and knees. The way to beat muay thai is using muay thai

Lmao, ends the argument with Gaethje wrecking two muay thai fighters in the first round.

Or not be glasses chinned/a punching bag

He’s fought 3 guys that hit back/had chins
Two koed him and the other nearly did in a back and forth war. His striking is extremely overrated. Need him to fight mcgregor or Dustin

80fffeca3eed0d1066b5127a33caff8c.gif

You know how you beat a dangerous striker in mma?

You take him down and beat his ass

I mean i guess it could be, but i think Khabib has proved that his style works and there is no point of changing it up. Im sure he will stand with Gaethje as long as he needs to secure the TD, and start doing work.

Muay Thai stance make you very vulnerable to takedown. That's why you never see any traditional Muay Thai fighter in the UFC.

But other than that you're correct, the best way to beat calf kicks is to adopt the Muay Thai stance.

Back