Muay Thai in San Diego

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Stink Eye, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Stink Eye

Stink Eye White Belt

I'm going to be moving to San Diego in october and have been looking at taking up muay thai or kickboxing. I'm going to be in the point loma area so I am not looking to drive too far if I don't have to. I've found a few gyms on the net. The Arena MMA, Victory MMA, and one that is a bit farther away American Boxing MMA. If anyone has had any experience with any of these gyms or know one that I haven't listed, I would appreciate your opinions.

2. FyouKantCme

FyouKantCme Guest

depends on how much money you're willing to spend. I know American boxing is 115 a month for boxing and muay thai, while the Arena is 75 a month for everything. victory mma is 89 a month(79 is you're military/law enforcement), undisputed point loma is also 89 a month for boxing and muay thai. there are more muay thai oriented gyms located in north county, but that's a little far from you.

3. bgomez89

bgomez89 White Belt

I go to Undisputed and its a great gym and right in your area. I've heard people say good things about Victory too

4. BigBoyBato

BigBoyBato White Belt

I've been to undisputed before. Great looking gym. heavy bags everywhere

5. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

in san diego.... the level of boxing instruction is literally 10 notches higher.... but if u really want to learn mt that bad, theres tons of gyms in point loma. theres a gym on every block out there

6. martiallist

martiallist White Belt

7. Stink Eye

Stink Eye White Belt

I noticed that a lot of gyms do both MT and Boxing. What are the top boxing gyms around the area

8. cptsteve21

cptsteve21 Purple Belt

I'm a UCSD student most interested in boxing (Trained MT last year, I think pure boxing will be more helpful for me at this stage however). Any suggestions?

9. LordMelkor

LordMelkor White Belt

I am a complete beginner to martial arts as a whole, but I am interested in learning Muay Thai--

I am thinking of either Gracie Barra or Undisputed...

Undisputed seems a little more hardcore, like for people who have done other kinds of martial arts before... any suggestions?

10. martiallist

martiallist White Belt

Theres also Kru Mark at The Arena. Heard he's good also and prices are cheap, like $75 for everything.

11. Musakke

Musakke White Belt

As martiallist said, there's Kru Mark @ The Arena. But they also have Joe Duarte, Cosmoe Cala and Felipe Portela (a pro Muay Thai fighter as well as MMA). For Boxing, they have Rich Power (a pro Heavyweight boxer) and Rob Garcia (Oscar de la Hoya's old coach). They also have husband/wife Evangelista and Cris Cyborg Santos (both are obviously world-class) teaching their Chute Boxe style. With 8 striking coaches, 6of whom currently fights as pros, The Arena has the most well-rounded striking program of any gym in SD. For $75, it's definitely the best deal in San Diego for Boxing/Muay Thai/Kick Boxing instruction.

See for yourself @ THE ARENA = MMA! San Diego Boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai & MMA Gym

12. JeetDivX

JeetDivX White Belt

I was also looking for muay thai classes and gyms in San Diego and came across a nice gem called black house team nogueira. rodgrio nogueira "big nog" was chilling by the front desk when I walked in and I did a double take. that dude is big. anyway, the muay thai class was pretty cool and i signed up, but they focus more on technique than cardio, which is both a plus and minus. you have more time to learn how to strike properly, but you are not burning as many calories, but I guess that's what conditioning classes are for. anyway it's taught by guy named Kru Alexander Palma. here's more info.

San Diego Muay Thai Class Instructor | Alex Palma - Black House Team Nogueira

13. Jeff Roy

Jeff Roy Yellow Belt

any recommendations for cheap gyms in north county? im looking for a dirt cheap boxing gym...or a gym i can drop in at a couple times a month and pay a one time fee.

14. martiallist

martiallist White Belt

For muay thai in N. County theres:

Extreme Power Gym - Best Muay Thai & Kickboxing gym in San Diego County
    Dojo Americana | MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Boxing, kyokushin karate, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista
    Faction Martial Arts - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, MMA - Carlsbad / North County, San Diego, CA

Theres also a couple of LA Boxing gyms which are fairly cheap, but not dirt cheap. You're talking about San Diego County here. Good luck!