Muay Thai Head Kick vs. TKD Crescent Kick

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Coban is hitting with the shin with his head kick. Kwonkicker is hitting with his foot.

What other differences exist between the Muay Thai head kick and the TKD Crescent? I have not been taught the MT head kick as it appears in videos of Thai professionals. To my untrained eye, these look functionally similar. In fact, the TKD kick almost turns into the MT kick just by standing closer.

What else? Help me out.

TKD crescent kick doesn't turn the hips over as much(ie good luck getting a KO with it) as a traditional round kick to the head. To be fair, taekwondo teaches a round kick of its own that's much more similar to the thai version.

i think that coban is not committing to the follow thru of the head kick because he is adressing the class , and is not rotating his hips at all , just a demonstation of what the motion would look like

muay thai head kick and tkd crescent kick are totally different kicks and should not look similar

i think that coban is not committing to the follow thru of the head kick because he is adressing the class , and is not rotating his hips at all , just a demonstation of what the motion would look like

muay thai head kick and tkd crescent kick are totally different kicks and should not look similar

Exactly.

You should look up Kwonkicker's rear leg roundhouse tutorial. That's the kick that is similar to Muay Thai's head kick.

I personally think it may be beneficial to learn both styles of roundhouse kicks. TKD's kick will be quicker, but MT's will be more powerful. Both can be useful in different situations.

I'm with Peanut here. I think Coban was just throwing a lazy roundhouse kick because he was focusing on teaching the class the defensive motion, and not the kick.

Here is Master K teaching the kick with lots of belly rubbing.

He is trying to show the exact motion, so I know he isn't being lazy. He does push his hip out a little, but it doesn't turn over. It just comes before the kick a little.

Compare that to the TKD Crescent kick. Hit forward. Shin instead of foot. Knee a little bent.

It still has a lot in common. It follows a similar path and the foot is still oriented toes up.

Some Thais don't throw their kicks with the hip turned over as much as they do with the hip thrust forward. The difference is that this type of kick is more linear in nature. Like a leaping hook, your are driving the kick into the target with your hips, as well as sweeping horizontally through it.

The crescent kick does not do this. It doesn't utilize the thrusting power of the hips at all, and that's why it is a defunct kick. It's merely a roundhouse kick without the hips turned over.

The crescent kick can be done with hip reinforcement in the same manner that a hook can be thrown with it.

When you throw the hook, your shoulder and hip move first, the arm follows. It is the sequential torsion from the ground up that gives the punch its power. The kick by the same token is in (my personal style) done in such a way that the standing leg is rotated, with the hip torquing around, followed then by the kick. So it does have hip reinforcement, its just that the leg still has toes up because of the contact point being the heel or sole of the foot.

It's not a kick that you would necessarily use as a power shot, but used as a means of swatting punches as kicks before rolling the hip over for a subsequent side kick. You COULD kick someone's face but the skill to place it requires such a degree of exactness that its just not common.

Last edited:
Crescent kick - hips not turned over and uses the arch/inside/bottom of the foot or the inside ankle/lower shin as striking surface. If executing an inside to outside version, then it's the other side of the foot/ankle. This is closer to a sweep (ashi barai). Also, the middle & upper part of the shin is not a good striking surface for this kick as it needs the length of the leg to generate force. At least this is how i understood the karate (shotokan) version.

Round house - hips turned over so that the striking surface is either the front of the shin or instep or top of the foot.

For good form I like the way Kru Siyavong throws his neck kick. It also helps explain why the shin is preferable, you can target the neck of an opponent much better.

One important detail to note (which is a bit difficult to see because of the camera angle) is that he steps (places his foot) to the side he is kicking from NOT the side he is kicking to, as you would for a low kick or body kick i.e. a cut kick. You should think of it as trying to kick around the back of his neck. This will make it easier to get your leg high, turn your hips over fully and you'll go around/behind his guard. So you want to step around to the side you want to kick him from. Watch his very first kick to see that step most clearly.

Last edited:
Here is Master K teaching the kick with lots of belly rubbing.

He is trying to show the exact motion, so I know he isn't being lazy. He does push his hip out a little, but it doesn't turn over. It just comes before the kick a little.

Compare that to the TKD Crescent kick. Hit forward. Shin instead of foot. Knee a little bent.

It still has a lot in common. It follows a similar path and the foot is still oriented toes up.

This guy is a clown, I've never seen him do a video that isn't a complete joke. Just because someone Thai, doesn't mean he knows Muay Thai. He's probably got a Bio that says he's an undefeated Raja champ, kicked Chuck Norris's ass, blah, blah, blah. His technique is below average at best.

Top tip, don't listen to a guy that puts Thai shorts his punch dummys!

they are nothing alike. Not even close

Since you don't have your foot turned over in the crescent kick, you can't put your quads into it so it's a lot weaker. Also since your hitting with the side of your foot at a high speed it can put a lot of torque on your knee. The range on the crescent kick is much shorter as well.

Different Thais will teach different, same as any other gyms. I've been taught both the turning of the hip, as well as pushing the hip forward, at the same gym, by two Thai fighters who grew up together fighting. Different fighters prefer different techniques and styles, and it's up to you to find what suits your kicking ability best.

With the Crescent kick your also landing with the heel and other hard parts of your foot so you don't have to worry about breaking your foot if you don't land with the shin like in Muay Thai. The Muay Thai technique is much more advanced and more effective though.

Different Thais will teach different, same as any other gyms. I've been taught both the turning of the hip, as well as pushing the hip forward, at the same gym, by two Thai fighters who grew up together fighting. Different fighters prefer different techniques and styles, and it's up to you to find what suits your kicking ability best.

Permission to be me! Saint Kiwi :D

I train TKD and I have to say the cresent kick isnt the most effective one out there. Its main purpous is to either make people back off, or to set another kick like a reverse turning kick up.

There is really no compare between a Outside Cresent Kick the high Thai round kicks. The TKd kick leaves you more open, but has less tell, is a bit fast, and leaves you in a better punching position. The Thai head kick has more ko power, leaves you much less open, has a bigger tell and slower follow-up.

the above is based on my training in both arts.

Back