muay thai hand position

jakjakattack

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing a muay thai class for about 1 and a half months now, and I just want to clarify hand position. Should my palms be facing my opponent or myself in my stance. Right now its palms facing my opponent for me, but is palms facing inward a better stance? I see most muay thai fighters do it the way I do but is that advantageous?

Regards

Palms facing your opponent. Listen to your coach (Kru).

It all depends. Listen to your coach as above said.

If your referring to from your stance, Mine changes a lot. My rear hand is usually facing opponent, ready to catch their jab. My lead hand palm is usually facing the ground or out to the side, but if its I have it extended in front of me, It may be facing them.

If your referring to the grips in the clinch, then that depends as well.

Understand the concepts your coach tells you, but know WHY, then you will be able to better answer questions yourself.

I don't agree with M1
There is no rule as to where you set your hands. Fighters with their palms facing their oppo tend to have poorer boxing and have their hands that way to neutralize boxing. Palms forward makes it easier to post and to enter the clinch.
Palms in, similar to a standard boxer, makes it easier to box....

^^Was gonna say the same thing. Palms out usually means you're trying to occupy your opponents hands to prevent them from hitting you, so you can either kick or work your clinch entries.

So as a generalization you would say that palms out favor clinch and kicks while palms in favor more boxing? Also, I do listen to my instructor, I was just wondering if there was any hard evidence to back either of them up.

Palms facing your opponent is when you think you have his timing and can parry his attacks. Palms inward usually means your ready to go on offense with your hands

Keep changing them so your opponent doesn't know what to expect...palms out has always been more of a defensive position for me.

I agree w/ Nak there isn't one hard fast rule, different hand positions facilitate different defensive and offensive options. Especially so when trying to parry into clinching position or hand trapping for long knees.

Back