MUay Thai Gear Question

mitsugi

White Belt
Reaction score
HI Guys,

Just a few questions for someone who just started MT:

-What type of handwraps do you guys use? the elastic ones or the non-elastics ones?

-Is the ankle support being used in basketball the same one used in Muay Thai?

-Will basketball shorts work OK when doing training for muay thai? i noticed muay thai shorts and it doesnt look so nice :wink: Im thinking of purchasing basketball shorts so i can use them too while commuting on my way to the gym.

-I just started Muay thai and got myself a bruise on my right elbow (skin peeled off) the contact between my elbow and the pads sort of frictioned into each other. do you use any form of elbow protection or should i just leave it be so it can grow stronger? (maybe i should put band-aid) :p

thanks!!

Handwraps: Get a pair of each and try them out. Most people tend to go for the stretchy ones, as they tend to fight nicer around the hand/wrist, but some swear by the old-school cotton.

Ankle Support: No idea, I'm not familiar with the ones used in basketball. Muay Thai ones will be a simple slip-on support. They won't have straps or laces, as those aren't safe when you're kicking people. They'll be similar to hand-wrap material (but maybe a little thicker), from what I can gather.

Shorts: That you'll have to ask your gym. Some places require certain equipment after a number of classes, some don't. General rule of thumb when training is to avoid shorts with pockets (don't want someone you're sparring with to throw a leg kick and get their toes caught in the pocket).

Bruising: Eventually it'll get tougher and won't happen as often, for now, wrap it till it heals. Gauze, cloth bandaging and medical tape. Maybe pack yourself a first aid kit to keep in your gym bag for times like that.

I use 180" Ringside mexican style. They're slightly elastic.

The basketball ankle braces might be a bit bulky if they're the ones I'm thinking of. I guess try it out see if it gets your way if you need that extra support. The Muay Thai ones are pretty thin and just slip on and off as posted above.

Be wary of long basketball shorts as it'll be kinda harder to kick. The material gets caught onto your leg and you can't do high kicks. Even with my muay thai shorts, I have to roll them up just like the Thai guys do so I don't have anything getting in the way.

I just use mma shorts and I don't have problems kicking.

HI Guys,

Just a few questions for someone who just started MT:

-What type of handwraps do you guys use? the elastic ones or the non-elastics ones?

I use non-elastic one's from everlast, the 200" ones, they still work great despite dozens of washes. Picked up a few elastic ones from Ringside and Winning to compare.

As for shorts, my favorite one is a top king one from MuayThaiFactory. Fits great, light, and has no mobility restrictions at all

Well, just to add to what everyone has said already... Mexican handwraps form to your hands a bit better, as they are elastic and are kind of like a bandage. Cotton though can be more comfortable for some. My friend who sweats a lot prefers cotton wraps, he said it absorbs a bit better. It's all a matter of preference in the end.

If you find that you have too much skin peeling off from your elbow, it might be that your technique is causing you to scrape excessively. You need to snap your elbows when you strike (as in you must be quick when doing the move). My friend had a problem with doing elbows in a way where he would kind of lag when he makes contact on the thai pads or the bag. He was causing his elbow to be more irritated from the prolonged contact and it also delayed him in going back to his defensive position. He had a lot of skin peeling off, not so much bruising though. Our teacher told him he should be quicker and not hesitate too much when executing the strikes.

Also, basketball shorts are fine. Any shorts really, so long as they don't impede movement. I used to wear basketball shorts when I started Muay Thai.

Other posters answered your question regarding the wraps. As far as the shorts it depends on the gym, over here we give the newbies a grace period of 2 weeks to get thai shorts otherwise there practicing on their own.

Ive written a number of posts regarding ankle supports but kick white snake here we go again. Two fractured ankles from my days balling and I wear serious supports when I do play. Muay Thai supports offer no real support. They keep the ankles warm and soak up sweat for decent grip. There better then nothing thats for sure. To be honest, ankle injuries havent been a worry while sparring or anything. A few people wear the heavier ones but I dont like hte feel without wearing long socks

As far as the shorts it depends on the gym, over here we give the newbies a grace period of 2 weeks to get thai shorts otherwise there practicing on their own.

Why make them practice on their own of they don't have shorts?

Yeah i'm gonna have to agree with Ryuku, what's the idea behind the grace period? If anything it is a good thing a newbie shows up in some MT shorts, as it shows they're interested and at least prepared for the class. Not to mention the shorts are practical seeing as they are light weight and non-restrictive. I guess it would be a little different if they showed up on their very first class with a pair of sparkly shorts, that are covered in skulls and tassels!

As for the TS questions:

Hand wraps: I've tried both elastic and non, and in my experience if you aren't gonna be taking gloves on and off all the time (which you probably will be if you're in a public class) non-elastic are more comfortable and sturdy. Though they tend to unravel a lot, if you're removing gloves all the time.

Anklets: If you haven't any injuries, then don't bother with them to be honest. I bought some when I sprained my ankle, and they did nothing for support. It may be because I bought some no name brand ones,rather than Top King/Nationman ones, but judging from others responses there doesn't seem to be a difference. Now I just where them under my shin guards, as they tend to dig into my foot.

Bruising: Yeah this is just a part of elbowing, and is more prevalent when you throw a typical MT diagonal elbow, though crops up with the others as well. One way to minimise it a little is to hold the pads at a slight angle, because if you hold it front facing as you would a jab you're more incline to scrape you're elbow, causing your skinning.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the length. Just got a little enthusiastic for my first post on here!

Back