Muay Thai for older people

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by SAMURAI SPIRIT, Jan 27, 2020.

1. SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

Wondering what the Muay Thai competition culture is like. Are there Masters Divisions for 40 plus or 45 plus fighters just like in BJJ or do you have to compete in open age division? As a 45 year old, I am tempted to get into the ring to stand and bang but I would like to know the most sensible way of going about it. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

There is, but its often that most still end up competing in the regular adult divisions. A few years ago at the MTC classic (probably the biggest ammy tourney in the US), there were seniors competing, one guy took his first C-class fight at 67. My only issue with that tournament is the experience bracket for the masters. It's only novice and open class (not the usual C, B, A / open). So if a guy is 1-3, gets bumped up in class, he will end up competing against people who probably have a lifetime exp of competing since they were 18

3. ARIZE Blue Belt

Depends on were you are, but probably you wont be able to fight as a 45y old in a sanctioned bout. In most places there are no tournaments for over 39/40/41 and no open age division...
    You might get smokers, inter-gym fights but that's about it.

But before wanting to stand in a ring and bang, try a couple of months of training first, do some light sparring, then see if you can handle a bit more hard sparring, and then think about a more "serious" fight.

4. ARIZE Blue Belt

@j123
    As far as I know, the orgas under IFMA have their division up to 40y.

5. SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

I have done MuayThai in my younger days and used to fight in Kyokushing bare knuckle knockdown Karate. That was a different lifetime but I do understand what I would be putting myself into. It is memories of my earlier years that make me want to do this.

6. ARIZE Blue Belt

@SAMURAI SPIRIT

Sorry, I realized that i might sounded condescending. Anyway, as j123 said, make sure that if you get to fight, that the guy is around your level. Not the same at all to fight a 40y old beginner, and a 40y old veteran with 200 fights under his belt. Good luck.

7. Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Have you trained before? Or are you just starting out now?

8. SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

I have trained Muay Thai in my younger years but Kyokushin I did more.

9. esdoornblad How soon is now?

You probably won't like this, but 45 is getting close to retirement time from any serious competition. You will get injured unless you are very fit, have good genetics, and just want to go very, very easy. I would stick to smart training with an eye toward staying healthy and injury-free into your 50s and 60s. The risk really outweighs the reward in this case.

10. AndyMaBobs Brown Belt

Y'know your basement? Well right underneath that.
    Most sensible way of fighting depends on your style. Your age is going to be hindrance, but it won't stop you from competing if you want to. Best thing to do is speak to the coach of whichever gym you go to - because our answers are going to be general, your coach will probably have an idea of what your regional scene is like and how you can be accommodated as far as competition.

11. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

As a 45 year old I can’t imagine trying to peak for a fight in training camp unless I was on steroids. Or if you are super fit then go for it man

12. shincheckin Black Belt

if your in the US, you wll be fighting under IKF. They have some extra precautions for anyone 40 or over. They will most likely try to match you with someone of similar age, but there is no guarantee of that. The only real difference is they will make you take a few more extra BS tests and physicals or what not.

Either way, if your capable of doing it. Go for it.

13. PeacePipe Life is short , be nice to eachother :)

Go to Thailand, they will pair you up with an older Thai or new westerner.

No worries

14. SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

What extra "tests?"

15. SandisLL Brown Belt

For example full contact karateka with contitioned shins that needs to post some bout in YT to prove that he does know MT too [ MT due to MMA is more popular and $/ EUR from potential clients looks more realistic to get ]
    or a kick boxer in vacation trip with intent to proof how versatile he is ( for resume ).
    Might happen.
    Dutch and ex soviet ( actually plenty now are even NATO countries ) kick boxers are real fun. Especially these that had long term boxing training too.

16. PeacePipe Life is short , be nice to eachother :)

?

Westerner just means non-thai

17. shincheckin Black Belt

not sure off the top of my head, extra physicals or what not.