Muay Thai fighters who "just stand there"

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Cocakillbana, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

I'd appreciate it if you guys can post examples of prominent competitors who fight this way.

What are the flaws in the norms of Muay Thai with regard to movement? It's a widely held belief that Muay Thai fighters don't know how to move and it's such a terrible thing. Why is this?

I'm looking for expert opinions.

2. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Jake Sheilds

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Joe Buck likes this.
  3. StopDucking

StopDucking Ronda Rousey hater

There's a difference between just standing there and not knowing how to move. You can use minimal footwork and still being able to close the distance or move out of the way when needed.

See Jomhod Kiatadisak for instance:

AndyTran and Mongoosemk12 like this.
  4. Karaev fan

Karaev fan Brown Belt

I'm no expert, but I managed to find someone who is.

Neo-Striking - New School vs Old School Striking

5. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Dude could y'all imagine Yodwicha with some Neo Footwork training?

SuperLuigi and anorak like this.
  6. Kanka

Kanka Black Belt

I hear Superlek is working on that in the science lab

SuperLuigi and anorak like this.
  7. ask

ask Blue Belt

coca is having a nervous breakdown

8. Bang Rachan

Bang Rachan Brown Belt

Tyrone Spong

9. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

Superlek was some of the reason why I made this thread. I was watching his last fight and thinking about what a neo mover (it seems that's what these fighters are called) would be able to do against him, and I couldn't think of much. He qualifies as one of the "just stand there" fighters. He's not, but that's what they'd say he is. The deep and calculating Kiatmuu9 posture where everything is in front of you at all times and quick returns are high on he menu. MMA pundits would find this revolting because there is no emphasis on foot shuffling, twitchy movements, or quick bursts of in and out punch flurries. It's the anti neo movement.

What MMA dorks fail to see is that this neo movement is successful because the opponent either doesn't know what to do, or they aren't able to fight the way that would best neutralize neo movement. Someone like Superlek is the perfect medicine for this stuff. You would have to go to him! He's not following you around like a chicken with its head cut off. So much of what the neo mover relies on goes out the window with the way Superlek, or many other Muay Thai fighters present themselves.

Did anyone see that Shevchenko-Holm fight? By the end of the first round I knew Shevchenko had more legitimate Muay Thai skill than maybe anyone I had ever seen in MMA. Holm is the neo mover God. What happened? Shevchenko gave her a lesson on the value of principles.

What is exploitable for the neo mover against red? He's totally blocked out with this method, yet it is the neo mover who is the gold standard and Superlek has the archaic turd style that wouldn't go anywhere in MMA. It's mind blowing how backwards the thinking is in MMA regarding striking. They've totally missed it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    THRP45 and Mafanofe like this.
  10. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

INB4 gloves and takedowns...

11. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

Well, yeah, I'm only talking about the standing. A neo mover can't penetrate Superlek on the feet be it Muay Thai or MMA. The neo mover could get in some heavy ground penetration though. Pass positions whenever he wants and all Superlek could do is squirm. Ah yes, homosexual rape is to MMA as peanut butter is to jelly.

12. AbeRudder

AbeRudder Green Belt

13. SuperLuigi

SuperLuigi Black Belt

Should have made this thread in the heavies bro, the people you are looking for dont come here. I hope some do by chance though.

[​IMG]

Mafanofe and andyjeezy like this.
  14. Kanka

Kanka Black Belt

I think they've seen the first round of a muay thai fight and since the guys aren jumping around like crazy frogs they think they just stand still all the time.

15. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

Bang Rachan and SuperLuigi like this.
  16. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

It's funny, it's actually fighters like Cruz and Dillashaw who have a more "just stand there" style. Most gifs I could find of them they're in positions where they would get kicked up a pole. Huge fraud MMA is pulling here.

17. Crccr

Crccr Orange Belt

That's bullshit man, if you've ever watched any legit striking and listened to Joe rogan you would know that the neo footwork guys always chew up the flat footed Thai style fighters

18. Thycidides

Thycidides Banned Banned

Reading posts like this is very informative but a I'm not sure how to feel about my training.
    The place I train specializes in BJJ but also has a Muay Thai program. My instructors are amature fighters and while they do teach the clinch, and compete in FTR, there is a lot of Dutch kickboxing too. Its not really pure Mauy Thai. Some of my sparring sessions feel more like karate or TKD because that is how my sparring partners fight, many of them don't like the clinch.

I like it because it gives me a workout BJJ doesn't and also the clinch is fun. However, I'm not sure I want to compete and I keep thinking " why do Mauy Thai if not to compete" and also maybe I should just focus on learning BJJ from black belts.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  19. Mafanofe

Mafanofe Black Belt

Lol guys,let Jay alone

Muay thai is passed out and everyone knows it,when you move in a TKD jackpot stance you make guys miss and make them pay

20. ThatCasualFan

ThatCasualFan Blue Belt

Here in Brazil we all know the basics of a good fighter is bjj and muay thai. Now, footwork/movement is really important to surprise your opponent and evade some punches and kicks. UFC fans are really casual, they dont know much about fighting and for them the most flashy guy is the best guy, which is not true. I have this feeling mma fighters are really poor in skills and even most of the ufc fighters are lacking. If we gave some high level thailand mt fighters bjj training from young age and let them get experienced with the octagon, rules and the way ufc fighters fight, they would destroy most of those guys.