Muay Thai fighters who "just stand there"

Cocakillbana

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'd appreciate it if you guys can post examples of prominent competitors who fight this way.

What are the flaws in the norms of Muay Thai with regard to movement? It's a widely held belief that Muay Thai fighters don't know how to move and it's such a terrible thing. Why is this?

I'm looking for expert opinions.

Jake Sheilds

shields-new-site1.jpg

Last edited:
There's a difference between just standing there and not knowing how to move. You can use minimal footwork and still being able to close the distance or move out of the way when needed.

See Jomhod Kiatadisak for instance:

What are the flaws in the norms of Muay Thai with regard to movement? It's a widely held belief that Muay Thai fighters don't know how to move and it's such a terrible thing. Why is this?

I'm looking for expert opinions.

I'm no expert, but I managed to find someone who is.

Neo-Striking - New School vs Old School Striking

I've been looking at TJ Dillashaw, Dom Cruz and Conor McGregor fighting. They are the definition of unorthodox, utilizing different footwork, stance shifting, boxing-heavy striking, etc. New ideas... Yet, they are destroying classicaly-trained, dangerous fighters like Renan Barao and Jose Aldo who are skilled at traditional, long-proven Muay Thai... They're flat-footed and are overwhelmed by the new challenges these new foes bring to the table. Barao couldn't find a weak spot in Dillashaw's style even when he got a rematch...
This makes me wonder. Most successful gyms like Jackson's and Tristar follow the tried-and-true method of using classic boxing and muay thai as a striking base. However, fighters trained like this are but cannon fodder for these neo-strikers which are emerging across the lighter weight divisions...

Dude could y'all imagine Yodwicha with some Neo Footwork training?

I hear Superlek is working on that in the science lab

Superlek was some of the reason why I made this thread. I was watching his last fight and thinking about what a neo mover (it seems that's what these fighters are called) would be able to do against him, and I couldn't think of much. He qualifies as one of the "just stand there" fighters. He's not, but that's what they'd say he is. The deep and calculating Kiatmuu9 posture where everything is in front of you at all times and quick returns are high on he menu. MMA pundits would find this revolting because there is no emphasis on foot shuffling, twitchy movements, or quick bursts of in and out punch flurries. It's the anti neo movement.

What MMA dorks fail to see is that this neo movement is successful because the opponent either doesn't know what to do, or they aren't able to fight the way that would best neutralize neo movement. Someone like Superlek is the perfect medicine for this stuff. You would have to go to him! He's not following you around like a chicken with its head cut off. So much of what the neo mover relies on goes out the window with the way Superlek, or many other Muay Thai fighters present themselves.

Did anyone see that Shevchenko-Holm fight? By the end of the first round I knew Shevchenko had more legitimate Muay Thai skill than maybe anyone I had ever seen in MMA. Holm is the neo mover God. What happened? Shevchenko gave her a lesson on the value of principles.

What is exploitable for the neo mover against red? He's totally blocked out with this method, yet it is the neo mover who is the gold standard and Superlek has the archaic turd style that wouldn't go anywhere in MMA. It's mind blowing how backwards the thinking is in MMA regarding striking. They've totally missed it.

Last edited:
INB4 gloves and takedowns...

Well, yeah, I'm only talking about the standing. A neo mover can't penetrate Superlek on the feet be it Muay Thai or MMA. The neo mover could get in some heavy ground penetration though. Pass positions whenever he wants and all Superlek could do is squirm. Ah yes, homosexual rape is to MMA as peanut butter is to jelly.

Should have made this thread in the heavies bro, the people you are looking for dont come here. I hope some do by chance though.

giphy.gif

I think they've seen the first round of a muay thai fight and since the guys aren jumping around like crazy frogs they think they just stand still all the time.

It's funny, it's actually fighters like Cruz and Dillashaw who have a more "just stand there" style. Most gifs I could find of them they're in positions where they would get kicked up a pole. Huge fraud MMA is pulling here.

I think they've seen the first round of a muay thai fight and since the guys aren jumping around like crazy frogs they think they just stand still all the time.
That's bullshit man, if you've ever watched any legit striking and listened to Joe rogan you would know that the neo footwork guys always chew up the flat footed Thai style fighters

Reading posts like this is very informative but a I'm not sure how to feel about my training.
The place I train specializes in BJJ but also has a Muay Thai program. My instructors are amature fighters and while they do teach the clinch, and compete in FTR, there is a lot of Dutch kickboxing too. Its not really pure Mauy Thai. Some of my sparring sessions feel more like karate or TKD because that is how my sparring partners fight, many of them don't like the clinch.

I like it because it gives me a workout BJJ doesn't and also the clinch is fun. However, I'm not sure I want to compete and I keep thinking " why do Mauy Thai if not to compete" and also maybe I should just focus on learning BJJ from black belts.

Last edited:
Lol guys,let Jay alone

Muay thai is passed out and everyone knows it,when you move in a TKD jackpot stance you make guys miss and make them pay

Here in Brazil we all know the basics of a good fighter is bjj and muay thai. Now, footwork/movement is really important to surprise your opponent and evade some punches and kicks. UFC fans are really casual, they dont know much about fighting and for them the most flashy guy is the best guy, which is not true. I have this feeling mma fighters are really poor in skills and even most of the ufc fighters are lacking. If we gave some high level thailand mt fighters bjj training from young age and let them get experienced with the octagon, rules and the way ufc fighters fight, they would destroy most of those guys.

I think everything works. That Joe Rogan talk of "neo striking" (whatever that is supposed to be when Mr Neo Dominick Curz is greatly influenced by more than half a century ago boxer Willie Pep) and how guys like Thompson and Dillashaw are the future and everything else is archaic. Despite boxing and

MT in it's modern form alone beign more than 100 years old as if ithey aren't developed arts.

Everything works and the meta changes constantly but it doesn#t make one style better than the other. Boxing sstyles have changed throughout history, MT has , MMA has but it doesnt necessarily mean that it's better or worse it's just different.

There are ways for the hipster neo striker to win and there are ways for the static Mt guy to win.

But real MT in Thailand has just a higher skill level and a deeper talent pool even beside pure striking arts obviously developing the better strikers than
MIXED martial arts which will never create the best boxer or best Mt fighters.

An elite Thai would wreck Dillashaw and all those Neo striking bollocks but Ithink it's also wrong to say that it doesn't work maybe in a parallel universe the guys in Thailand fight that way and Dillashaw and Cruz just made a more energy effieicent, calm and calculating striking style more famous aka our MT.

And then they would still lose because in Thailand the talent pool is deeper and because they are pure strikers who have been striking since they were children

Back