1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Muay Thai fight diet and cutting weight?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by ems508, Jul 29, 2010.

1. ems508

ems508 White Belt

I have already read over the FAQ section and was wondering about cutting the last 10 lbs for my next fight 4 weeks away. I wouldnt be concerned but the weigh ins are day of the fights so I cant cut alot of water weight that day. My question is whether or not my diet with all the fruits is gonna make me lose that last 10 lbs 4 weeks from now? Should I cut out the fruits in 2 weeks or will this diet work? Also is the post-workout shake too much in fruits and should I just stick to the chocolate milk since its so close to bedtime. I dont get home until 9 or so and usually go to sleep by 11. Im just worried cause this is my 3rd fight and never had to do weigh ins day of. My stats, training & diet are as follows...

5'5"
    145 lbs. in the morning before breakfast
    about 10% bf
    need to get to 135 lbs 4 weeks from now.

Right now I wake up and do about 40-60 minutes of low to moderate cardio before breakfast. Monday-Saturday 1 1/2-2 hours muay thai training. Varies night to night on sparring and mitts/bag/combos. MWF afternoons I do a circuit routine lasting about 30 minutes that includes deadlifts, squats, push press, etc...

Breakfast: 1 scoop whey, 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries or 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice

2-3 hours later snack: brocolli and carrots, 1-2 tbsp almond butter

lunch: spinach salad red wine vinegarette, 4-6 oz turkey breast/chicken/1 can tuna in water, 1 orange

snack: 1 scoop whey or brocolli and carrots, 1-2 tbsp almond butter

Dinner: same as lunch without the fruit and add in more veggies

Pre-workout: 1 banana with a little bit of almond butter for taste (less than a tbsp)

Post-workout shake: 1 banana, 1 scoop whey, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 cup G2 low calorie for taste or a 16 oz. 1% chocolate milk

1 gallon of water everyday, multi-vit, fish oil, CLA

2. WicxOr

WicxOr Guest

3. ems508

ems508 White Belt

So would you suggest me throwing real protein into my snacks instead of the almond butter/whey shake maybe? Or just lessing the amount of almond butter and add the protein?

4. WicxOr

WicxOr Guest

Keep your shakes to atleast 1 a day, post-workout when your body will absorb the nutrients quickly to recover from training. Everyone falls in the habbit on mutliple shakes once in a while cause there quick and easy. Just be careful with the almond butter, the calories can add quickly if your not paying attention to servings. Try real almonds instead or even walnuts which have omega-3. Snack wise for more real protien try beef jerky, canned tuna or salmon, turkey slices, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese. your body will thank you for the micronutrients your scoop of whey doesnt supply.

5. ems508

ems508 White Belt

Thanks. Im trying to stay away from the dairy cause Im really trying to focus on a fruit, veggie, lean protein, & healthy nut rich diet (basically paleo with meats added in). The only time I would consume dairy would be post workout being chocolate milk or cottage cheese. I appreciate the advice and I think ill switch up my breakfast to 2eggs and a piece of fruit.

6. ems508

ems508 White Belt

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Im curious if 10 lbs in 4 weeks for me is gonna be possible? Also the thoughts on post workout supplementation considering I workout so late. Also, would cut carbs all together 2 weeks out?

7. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

To make sure you lose weight all you need to do is to be in a caloric deficit obviously. If you don't want to calculate just modify the diet. Throw out all fruits besides 1 piece in the morning (some berries cause of low GI) and some after workout (any fruit).

To get so low in weight it's good that you don't eat grains or legumes. Also shakes in the morning and after workout should be enough, rather it real food for protein in your snacks like eggs, cheese or meat. I agree that carrots can be dumped for now cause they're relatively high in carbs. Also don't eat potatoes or peas.

I personally don't like refined sugar not even after workout, so I wouldn't drink gatorade or chocolate milk, I'd rather drink the whey in full fat milk and eat the banana and some blueberries. That should be enough carbs, also I don't remember details but i> think it's been proven that post workout insulin spikes aren't even necessary. Basically I'd feel slightly sluggish even if I eat the sugar post workout, you're body still hasn't fully digested what you eat before the workout so it's not like you're starving without the sugar. And don't eat too much nut butter, those calories can add up quick.

Good luck

8. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

Whey protein is diary. Also paleo includes meats as far as I know.

9. ems508

ems508 White Belt

True paleo is anything that can be consumed raw and does not have to be cooked before consumption. So that takes out meat, I dont follow true paleo cause there would be no way in hell I could live without meat. And what I meant by dairy is yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, etc... I am aware that whey is milk based protein. But hey thanks for the help.

10. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I don't know anyone who defines paleo that way.

Also, even by a strict and literal definition of "paleo," humans were cooking with fire during that time.

11. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

ems508 has no clue what the hell he even just typed.

12. ems508

ems508 White Belt

Well if you know so much then tell me what you know. I'm on here to learn and change things up to make weight, not argue with people! Help me out, if you are gonna criticize what I say then back it up with facts of your own.