Muay Thai experience

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi, I recently started training at Sinbi Muay Thai. This is my first time doing some legit Muay Thai, but unfortunately I might have to postpone my training due to a possibility of pink eyes. But, I wanted to give you guys a quick perspective from someone who normally box.

The training facility is really nice and they a good group of trainers. However, the class setup is a bit odd for me. Lol to be blunt, I feels like I’m at fat camp. You do so much conditioning before you start doing the actual skill work. In the boxing gym, you normally show up; stretch, jump rope and than shadow box. From there you do mitt work, spar, and hit the heavy bag. The only calisthenic that you probably do is situps, pull ups, push-up, squats, and med ball throw. Personally I just use a kettlebell and sit-ups. And I normally do those on my own time; along with the roadwork. But anyways, nothing wrong with setup, it just feels like I’m in fat camp. Anyways, I’m slowly learning how to properly throw kicks and knees. The punching aspect comes a bit naturally, except for the lead hook and lead uppercut. I’m so used pivoting when throwing the lead hook and lead uppercut. But any ways, the trainers here are awesome and hopefully I’ll to continue to learn more.

Hi, I recently started training at Sinbi Muay Thai. This is my first time doing some legit Muay Thai, but unfortunately I might have to postpone my training due to a possibility of pink eyes. But, I wanted to give you guys a quick perspective from someone who normally box.

The training facility is really nice and they a good group of trainers. However, the class setup is a bit odd for me. Lol to be blunt, I feels like I’m at fat camp. You do so much conditioning before you start doing the actual skill work. In the boxing gym, you normally show up; stretch, jump rope and than shadow box. From there you do mitt work, spar, and hit the heavy bag. The only calisthenic that you probably do is situps, pull ups, push-up, squats, and med ball throw. Personally I just use a kettlebell and sit-ups. And I normally do those on my own time; along with the roadwork. But anyways, nothing wrong with setup, it just feels like I’m in fat camp. Anyways, I’m slowly learning how to properly throw kicks and knees. The punching aspect comes a bit naturally, except for the lead hook and lead uppercut. I’m so used pivoting when throwing the lead hook and lead uppercut. But any ways, the trainers here are awesome and hopefully I’ll to continue to learn more.

Your boxing gym is soft. Mine was a military camp regardless of which group I was in

I read the title as: My Thai experience and thought it was either going to be about food or girls hahahaha

Your boxing gym is soft. Mine was a military camp regardless of which group I was in

With my experience, the coach expected you to do conditioning on your own time. Also, we didn’t have set schedule; you would come within your own hours. Of course, only within the gym hours.

how long will you be there for? Im not speaking from experience, just my opinion, since your there, perhaps you can shed some light on it. While Sinbi is a good gym with fighters, I believe they also are a gym that caters to foreigners, or has quite a bit training there regularly. Many people take a 1 week holiday or what not to thailand, and many of them do MT in that 1 week. and many of them are there just to get in shape or tell their friends they trained in thailand or what not. I would take a wild guess that the "fat camp" your experiencing, is essentially smart business practice to profit off of "foreign holiday trainers". Im not implying thats why your there, but how do they know your different? in their eyes you could very well be just 1 out of thousands of random foreigners that come there for a week. Get what im saying? This is why I always wanted to try to go for like 3 months, but I have never gone 1 day and anytime is better than no time, so rad your there dude. Take some pics and vids and let us know how it goes.

also worth mentioning, how you described your boxing gym, is similar to how my fight gym was ran. How you described "fat camp" was my experience at the majority of US MT Gyms, which primarily cater to fitness and "self defense" rather than competition.

@shincheckin , hi. I arrived in Phuket on a Monday, couple of days ago. I’ll be here till the 28th of February.

Im not speaking from experience, just my opinion, since your there, perhaps you can shed some light on it. While Sinbi is a good gym with fighters, I believe they also are a gym that caters to foreigners, or has quite a bit training there regularly.

Lol, you nailed it perfectly well. Lol I hope those people training don’t see this thread, but there are a couple that are drama queens and wannabe tough guys. Blah. They can really ruin your experience if you let them get to you.

@shincheckin , hi. I arrived in Phuket on a Monday, couple of days ago. I’ll be here till the 28th of February.

Lol, you nailed it perfectly well. Lol I hope those people training don’t see this thread, but there are a couple that are drama queens and wannabe tough guys. Blah. They can really ruin your experience if you let them get to you.

I figured as much, business is business, given that thailand is a world wide tourist destination, and a large part of their economy is based off of tourism, the thais have learned to capitalize in on that market. The fight gyms were they are created are the places out in the sticks, the kids than end up in the big gyms one day to get fine tuned. I would suggest paying for some privates while there, and hopefully they dont just try to burn you out on the pads.

Get what im saying? This is why I always wanted to try to go for like 3 months, but I have never gone 1 day and anytime is better than no time, so rad your there dude. Take some pics and vids and let us know how it goes.

also worth mentioning, how you described your boxing gym, is similar to how my fight gym was ran. How you described "fat camp" was my experience at the majority of US MT Gyms, which primarily cater to fitness and "self defense" rather than competition.

I definitely get what you’re saying. But of course this experience is totally new to me, I’m still really enjoying it.

lol I’ve been mostly taking pics of the food that I’ve be eating. But tomorrow I can take pics of the gym.

I would suggest paying for some privates while there, and hopefully they dont just try to burn you out on the pads

Tomorrow I have my first private session. The trainers there are pretty awesome and they don’t really burn you out too much.

Also, I was surprise that we don’t jump ropes or do body weights squats.

I forgot to mention that Kru Neil out of Van Nuys does it similar to a boxing gym and how you ran your gym.

I forgot to mention that Kru Neil out of Van Nuys does it similar to a boxing gym and how you ran your gym.

Yeah I know him from fighting at the old van nuys location, I always meant to train with him but never did. Cool guy, regularly has fighters at the shows, whether they win or loose they always performed well.

This sounds like a wonderful experience if Muay Thai & living life are what you want to do.

Me, I'm still screwing up the courage to visit the local TKD school....<NotListening>

This sounds like a wonderful experience if Muay Thai & living life are what you want to do.

Me, I'm still screwing up the courage to visit the local TKD school....<NotListening>

You should definitely train at Sinbi. The apartment is about a 2 minute walking to the gym. Also, it would help if you know to to ride a moped. I made a good friend from Grab (thai version of uber), so I just text him I need to go somewhere relatively far.

You should definitely train at Sinbi. The apartment is about a 2 minute walking to the gym. Also, it would help if you know to to ride a moped. I made a good friend from Grab (thai version of uber), so I just text him I need to go somewhere relatively far.
Tnx... but I don't even have the muster to take a try @ the local TKD joint couple miles away.

Sounds like a terrific experience for the Muay Thai stylist. The videos on YT show how into it the students are.<RomeroSalute>

Tnx... but I don't even have the muster to take a try @ the local TKD joint couple miles away.

You should definitely just go for training at the tkd place. It’s normal to be nervous.

You should definitely just go for training at the tkd place. It’s normal to be nervous.

I liked the video because it applies to MMA mind which frequents this forum. I was being proverbial.

the Thai training sojourns make uber sense for those so dedicated to Muay Thai. And for those who enjoy & thrive on foreign adventures.

Neither is me. If I can't drive there w/o a passport... it's out.

Back