Muay thai exercises

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by ZoB, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ZoB

ZoB Banned Banned

What are some ways to improve myself aside from going to class as much as possible.

2. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

- heavy bag if you got one
    - shadowboxing
    - running and other cardio
    - lifting weights or exercises with your bodyweight

3. McHamish

McHamish White Belt

I went to a seminar a few weeks ago by a conditioning coach, he suggested a 3 tier training programme;

Tier 1. This is the most important tier and the exercises should be focused on improving your muay thai - this is basically everything you do in your muay thai classes (pad work, sparring, clinch, shadow boxing etc).

Tier 2. This is the second most important tier, and the exercises should be focused on improving your performance in tier 1. This could include stuff like interval training, exercises to improve your fast twitch muscles etc.

Tier 3. This is the least important tierm and the exercises should be aiming to improve your performance in tier 2 and tier 1. This could be cardio training such as running etc.

I'm in the process of building an exercise programme based on the these three tiers as it kind of makes sense to me. I'm using the Training for Warriors book to work out training plans for tier 2.

4. maDKient

maDKient Blue Belt

Exactly what do you want to improve?

Technique, fitness?

Technique - heavy bag, pads if you've access to a good trainer/pad holder, shadow box.

Fitness - run/intervals/weights/calisthnetics.

5. Aaron Perls

Aaron Perls Green Belt Professional Fighter

Being in shape always helps.

Finding a heavy-bag to hit is a must IMHO.

6. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

warm up by skipping, push ups, jump squats, etc. (other cardio exercises)
    then heavybag / thai pads or focus mitts (if you have a partner to practice with)

7. lparnes

lparnes White Belt

heavy bag training and working out both cardio and muscle building

8. StevenH

StevenH Orange Belt

Do as much shadowboxing/ heavy bag work/padwork as you can. That will help your technique a great deal, as well as conditioning. After the technical work, I personally like to do a couple of lifts. Currently I do mainly bench and squat (sometimes deadlift instead), but I am going to get into Olympic style lifts (ie. power clean and press, snatches) so build power. Also, try to get in a lot of push ups, chin ups, jump squats, and ab work for added conditioning after your lifting. When working with lifts for power, its important to work on muscular endurance by doing calisthenics afterwards so that your body can develop the power and endurance to go the entire fight. The reason you should do power first is because building power requires max effort from your muscles, which is impossible to achieve your lifting potential if you do endurance work before hand. Then if you really want, you can skip or run after, but you will get your cardio in by doing the technical portion and the lifts, so this isn't necessary unless u really want to push it at the end and have the extra time. This is what I've done, and its been working well for me so far, so you could try it out for a day and see how you like it!

EDIT: After reading the thread again, I realized that there was a post in regarded the tiers of a workout. Looks like I'm on somewhat of a right path right now, which is possibly why I've noticed a lot of success :p

9. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Read the stickies in the S&C forum and implement some extra strength or conditioning work. You seem to be in the right mindset because as a beginner the most important thing is actual skill training (i.e. going to class). Don't let S&C work get in the way of going to your MT gym.

10. lukewall

lukewall Green Belt

Aside from the calisthenics and strength training, skip rope. Skip a lot of rope. Skipping conditions the muscles you need to be off your heels and mobile.

And don't neglect your neck work. Get a harness and weights and work your neck in all directions.

11. Aaron Perls

Aaron Perls Green Belt Professional Fighter

When you skip rope, do you do intervals, or a steady pace? How long?

I've only ever used it as a warmup tool (5-10min), and the idea of actually conditioning with it intrigues me.

12. maDKient

maDKient Blue Belt

You could use it as a tool to condition yourself. Anything that can push your body hard will condition your body.

But generally I use skipping as a means to warm up and sometimes cool down.

If you want more ideas on skipping to condition yourself, check out rosstraining.com.

13. McHamish

McHamish White Belt

Regarding the skipping...

I use it to warm up at the start of the workout, but I also use it for conditioning when performing my own version of 'hurricane' sessions.

This is basically interval training...10 one minute rounds with little or no rest, for example i might do something like;

1. Skipping
    2. Squats with kettle bell raises
    3. Skipping
    4. Jumping squats onto raised boxes
    5. Skipping
    6. Push Ups
    7. Skipping
    8. Medicine ball ab exercises
    9. Skipping
    10. something else

This is something I got from the Training For Warriors book, but not completely as they recommend (they using treadmill sprints for 20s instead of skipping foir example).

I'm still putting together the training plans and haven't implemented it in anger, but the above is basically my intention. In the TFW book it has a series of training plans, and various hurricane sessions increasing in intensity...i intent to implement a version of this.

Whether it will work and I'l get good results from it...I don't know yet. But anyhoo...that's my intention. I'll be implementing along side the 3 tiered training structure I mentioned in my previous post.

And if you want to get better at MT...the best thing to do is train MT!

14. DI99

DI99 Brown Belt

this is a great way to do it, anywhere from 5-10 minutes

15. McHamish

McHamish White Belt

yeah...I've started using it in the past couple of weeks and it's hard work, but fun too cos it's varied, not just intervals on an airdyne bike or treadmill.

But if you're doing 5mins, I think it's best reduce the length of the rounds to 30 seconds.

If you sit down and workout some hurricane drills and try to mix up what you're doing other than skipping, you could put together some good drills to get fighting fit.

16. sethk

sethk Sho ho ho nuff

A lot of the formentioned things are great...but don't forget to include basic balance/proprioception exercises as well. Makes a world of difference when a fighter has a solid base and great balance.

17. DannyT

DannyT Orange Belt

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. But when do you know your NOT a beginner and you need to start doing some S&C instead of just skill training?

18. DannyT

DannyT Orange Belt

*bump