1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Muay Thai competing in Knockdown with no Karate experience?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Boxer123, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Hey guys, the Dageki World Karate Championship is in Montreal at the end of October and i've been itching to fight in knockdown as it looks fun and i've never done it before. The problem is i've never actually trained in knockdown or any form of Karate (Kyokushin etc..) but I have been speaking with a sensei who trains Kyokushin Budokai/Kudo style fighting and was thinking of training with them for the experience in August.. that means I'll have about 2 months to get the feel for Karate and knockdown... would this be realistic for a MT guy? i've been training for 5 years in MT so I know how to fight, it's just adapting to the new style of fighting in such little time may not be feasible... (I have a 3-0 ammy kickboxing record so I have fought before).

Anyone have any experience in this or know anything about knockdown? would I even be allowed to fight? would I fight white belts? Thanks if there are any knockdown guys here!

"Osu" lol

2. Corey Kuropas

Corey Kuropas Banned Banned

I do not have experience in knockdown karate, but I say go and test yourself in the environment. If you did go in amateur Muay Thai and might be successful at the competition.

3. vorpal_

vorpal_ Blue Belt

if the rules aren't too weird i can't imagine you having a hard time

4. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

Just be aware about knees and elbows being allowed or not.

5. 1Strike

1Strike Blue Belt

Be aware more than ever for head kicks even when you are very close to your opponent.
    They have very good, deceptive and fast head kicks.

Also it is gonna feel very akward to get into punching range and not be able to throw a jab,cross or hook to your opponents face.

Good luck and keep us posted.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Thanks man, ya I know Kyokushin fighters throw a very quick mawashi geri to the head. My main concern is the lack of head punching, i've been training for quite a while and it really is instinctual to throw hands when I see the face open, luckily my style of more traditional (less boxing more kicks/knees) but I still do like to throw my straight left/lead hook so i'm just kinda worried about the transition, like during the fights I will freeze up because i'll be so focused on what NOT to do but we will see, I will have about 2 months of training with a legit kyokushin blackbelt at a dojo so i'm sure i'll be prepared.

I'll keep you guys updated if all goes through, I will only be competing if they use no padding, if i'm going to be doing knockdown i'm going to be using my bare knuckles and bare shins that is for sure, I already have a stylistic disadvantage so I need all the damage I can get for the KO, going to be using a lot of knees when they punch and heavy kicks. I know Sakmongkol now competes in knockdown and he is pretty damn good :D

7. random shot:

random shot: Blue Belt

My best advice to you would be to practice leg kicks from close range. There not gonna let u throw kicks from kicking range they will come up toe 2 toe and punch ur body, knee n kick ur head. So practice leg kicks from up close in those types of conditions.

Also jumping/flying knees to the head and since ur body combos wont be as good as theres they will probz throw 4 punches for every 1 u do i suggest lots of liver shots.

Thats the best advice i can give a MT guy who trys to hang with us using his style

8. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with papakhka

what others have said.

I would say go for it, it's definitely a game you can beat.

Where do u train MT in MTL ?

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Was at Tristar then Gamma, been living here for 7 months and trying to find a gym that fits my needs.

10. Daido_Juku

Daido_Juku Purple Belt

Condition your body , those bareknuckles really hurt when it hits you. Its that unusual feeling being hurt by a bareknuckle than a glove bodyshots. One thing is if you focus your attention in bodyshot punches theyll gonna throw those inside thigh kicks a lot, and they really have fast close range mawashi geri and jodan hiza geri(knee kicks). KK guys love to throws those hook to the liver a lot. Its a tournament, so better have good endurance also practice sweeps and high kicks because when it connect it has big advantage on the scoring board.

About the rules, sometimes it all about the promoter of the tournament when it comes to fighting belt system, but all the knockdown tournaments Ive competed in whether you are a blackbelt or a whitebelt you will fight each other as long as you are fighting in the same weight class. If you are tough enough you can enter open weight class.

Green belts - Black belts are mostly the real deals because of they experience and years of training. But it just come down to the fighter training and perseverance to win. God bless and you and Enjoy your experience.

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Thank you very much Daido for the insight. I am not familiar with how they compete so it's cool, the way I see it is i've sparred and fought with people of very high caliber like my instructor, Shane Campbell, other pro fighters etc not to mention i've fought against guys who are just as skilled strikers as any green or black belt in Kyokushin so I am sure I will do fine as I know how to throw a kick, knee and body punch, it's more just the rules that may be difficult for me such as no clinching when kneeing and no face punching. I am good at leg sweeps so I will try to utilize that a lot.

I've been watching a lot of knockdown over the last 2-3 weeks and am really impressed with kyokushin fighters mawashi geri, the hip is still turned over so it has legitimate power but has the speed of a karate kick, definitely gotta keeps those hands up! I would love to fight a black belt, so hopefully the categories are done by weight, would be an honor to test myself against a black belt in knockdown style.

Osu!

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

apparently I have yellow cards, damn OT! lol

13. shotokankid1**

shotokankid1** Orange Belt

it will be a good as your growth as a martial artist to compete knockdown.you will learn some new things.

14. Mehmedagic

Mehmedagic Purple Belt

Watch out for roundhouse kicks coming from above,
    The so called Brazilian kick. And all other headkicks, mawashe geri's arent as telegraphed as kicks in thaiboxing. So be aware,

And condition your body a lot, and best of luck to you.

Edit: and not to sound like james thompson, but watch some vids of kyokushin competitions, But You prolly already did that a couple of times :D

15. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

a body-shot with no gloves on hurts like hell. :)

16. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Hah ya, I started watching Knockdown (Kyokushin) about 3 weeks ago and i've been studying it for about 1-2 hrs a day online (watching fights, watching common combos etc) I didn't plan on training in it or even fighting in it but I just became very interested in it and now i'll be training in a kyokushin off-shoot and hopefully be competing in October.