Muay Thai and Boxing at the same time?

Knive

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to MA and have been training in Muay Thai for the past month. I train at a respectable MMA gym and my membership allows me to train boxing also at no additional cost. I was thinking about starting to add boxing after I've had about three months Muay Thai experience so I wouldn't be confused. Is this a good idea? The boxing coach has trained UFC fighters but I'm training for recreation only.

Some will probably say get more proficient in Thai Boxing first, but I say fuck it. If you really want to Box (especially for no additional cost), do that shit. The only real cost is time. If you are willing to invest some extra time into Boxing, why not?

Free boxing lessons to compliment your Muay Thai? Jump on that shit training both won't hinder your progress in one.

Well considering the only thing you can really knock thai boxers on is their lack of punching ability, why NOT supplement it with FREE boxing lessons.

Dude FREE ANYTHING is good I don't care what it is.

the two best striking arts on the planet. why would you NOT train in them both?

Jump all over that in a heartbeat. I think the hands in pure MT are the weakest facet so getting some great boxing hands would make you a stud..

I'm gonna start taking Muay Thai once a week in addition to boxing three times a week. Pick one your gonna dedicate yourself to tho.

It's free? Then why are you even asking this question, why aren't you at the gym now lol. The myth that cross training in boxing will hurt your Muay Thai is kind of out of hand, it will just complement your Muay Thai and add more to your hands where MT kind of lacks(due to the scoring system).

They compiment eachother VERY well, IMO. The one thing you would have to worry about is the ducking in boxing. Boxers that duck a lot can get into trouble when knees are allowed. But if you're aware of that, boxing mixes really well with Muay Thai.

I train both for the same reason. I get one free. Works just fine.

No reason not to take both really. Specially after 3 month of Muay-Thai.
As said before, boxing is a great complement to MT. The Dutch Thai boxers are huge in Western Boxing.

I'm a newbie to MA and have been training in Muay Thai for the past month. I train at a respectable MMA gym and my membership allows me to train boxing also at no additional cost. I was thinking about starting to add boxing after I've had about three months Muay Thai experience so I wouldn't be confused. Is this a good idea? The boxing coach has trained UFC fighters but I'm training for recreation only.

It's pretty standard to work both actually. Most Thai gyms set apart a day where only boxing is worked on. There are days with my group that we work only boxing. I'd say do it.

Take both. You'll learn to adapt your MT and lose the bobbing you do in boxing. The plus side of it is that your hands will compliment your MT. Look at K1 fighters like Badr Hari and how his hands compliment his legs. Makes you pretty legit.

You better perfect just one than trying to be good overall. Master knees.

You know they should just blend them both into one style called striking

Take both, adjust your stance and footwork accordingly once you get more comfortable in boxing

You know they should just blend them both into one style called striking

It would make things easier.

But i don't really agree.

This idea would make an interesting thread

Last edited:
If I could have my dream stand up training schedule. it would be 3 days a week at wildcard gym and 3 days at a good thai boxing gym like Siangboxing, anywhere where they have a large stable of champs training daily. hey i can dream right

but seriously the thai gyms i've been to mix it up and will train you in as much western boxing as you like. samart payakaroon mixed it up and worked his boxing out of a muay thai gym, also there has been a few other lesser known (but still sucessful) thai boxers that have done this recently.

after all boxing is a part of muay thai, there is no correct style. Some guys use 80 percent hands while some use 10, it's whatever you can get to work in the ring... the problem is finding a gym that has good fighters in both disciplines...which i've seen a few in thailand

Back