Muay Thai and Boxing at the same time?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Knive, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Knive

Knive White Belt

I'm a newbie to MA and have been training in Muay Thai for the past month. I train at a respectable MMA gym and my membership allows me to train boxing also at no additional cost. I was thinking about starting to add boxing after I've had about three months Muay Thai experience so I wouldn't be confused. Is this a good idea? The boxing coach has trained UFC fighters but I'm training for recreation only.

2. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Green Belt

Some will probably say get more proficient in Thai Boxing first, but I say fuck it. If you really want to Box (especially for no additional cost), do that shit. The only real cost is time. If you are willing to invest some extra time into Boxing, why not?

3. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Free boxing lessons to compliment your Muay Thai? Jump on that shit training both won't hinder your progress in one.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Well considering the only thing you can really knock thai boxers on is their lack of punching ability, why NOT supplement it with FREE boxing lessons.

5. jessew

jessew The Goods

Dude FREE ANYTHING is good I don't care what it is.

6. FyouKantCme

FyouKantCme Guest

the two best striking arts on the planet. why would you NOT train in them both?

7. BWC

BWC Purple Belt

Jump all over that in a heartbeat. I think the hands in pure MT are the weakest facet so getting some great boxing hands would make you a stud..

8. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

I'm gonna start taking Muay Thai once a week in addition to boxing three times a week. Pick one your gonna dedicate yourself to tho.

9. Sizzerb

Sizzerb White Belt

It's free? Then why are you even asking this question, why aren't you at the gym now lol. The myth that cross training in boxing will hurt your Muay Thai is kind of out of hand, it will just complement your Muay Thai and add more to your hands where MT kind of lacks(due to the scoring system).

10. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

They compiment eachother VERY well, IMO. The one thing you would have to worry about is the ducking in boxing. Boxers that duck a lot can get into trouble when knees are allowed. But if you're aware of that, boxing mixes really well with Muay Thai.

11. ic3j

ic3j Brown Belt

I train both for the same reason. I get one free. Works just fine.

12. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

No reason not to take both really. Specially after 3 month of Muay-Thai.
    As said before, boxing is a great complement to MT. The Dutch Thai boxers are huge in Western Boxing.

13. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP ^Korean Chef Kevin Lee, NOT Fighter Kevin Lee

this.

but regardless, great combo

14. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

It's pretty standard to work both actually. Most Thai gyms set apart a day where only boxing is worked on. There are days with my group that we work only boxing. I'd say do it.

15. CONQUERER23

CONQUERER23 Orange Belt

Take both. You'll learn to adapt your MT and lose the bobbing you do in boxing. The plus side of it is that your hands will compliment your MT. Look at K1 fighters like Badr Hari and how his hands compliment his legs. Makes you pretty legit.

16. zx

zx adventurer

You better perfect just one than trying to be good overall. Master knees.

17. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

You know they should just blend them both into one style called striking

18. Titanium Jaw

Titanium Jaw Orange Belt

Take both, adjust your stance and footwork accordingly once you get more comfortable in boxing

19. Tsingani

Tsingani White Belt

It would make things easier.

But i don't really agree.

This idea would make an interesting thread

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  20. TheTruth1982

TheTruth1982 Guest

If I could have my dream stand up training schedule. it would be 3 days a week at wildcard gym and 3 days at a good thai boxing gym like Siangboxing, anywhere where they have a large stable of champs training daily. hey i can dream right

but seriously the thai gyms i've been to mix it up and will train you in as much western boxing as you like. samart payakaroon mixed it up and worked his boxing out of a muay thai gym, also there has been a few other lesser known (but still sucessful) thai boxers that have done this recently.

after all boxing is a part of muay thai, there is no correct style. Some guys use 80 percent hands while some use 10, it's whatever you can get to work in the ring... the problem is finding a gym that has good fighters in both disciplines...which i've seen a few in thailand