MT teep vs MMA teep

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which do you think is the better technique? The teep you more commonly see in mma from fighters like Ferguson and Cowboy Oliveira who used it very effectively against Sobotta this past weekend, seems to be better for damage. It digs more into the opponents midsection and if you bring it up to the opponent's head it is more likely to stun or ko them. The teep you see more often in mt seems better for managing distance

To give you a more serious answer, the teep hasn't really caught on in MMA yet for the most part.

It's a deceptively hard strike to do and requires a lot of balance because you're having to push your opponent backwards while keeping yourself standing and strong. I've heard people claim that it doesn't work because you're giving the leg to a wrestler, but seeing as its so rare you even see a teep in MMA its hard to say whether that's actually true. There's a lot of shit we didn't think would work in MMA until Cro Cop came along.

What you're seeing in MMA are usually sloppy mae-geri front kicks from karate.

Because the foot bounces off the target pretty much it becomes a good non-committal weapon if you're good at it. Conor McGregor's win over Chad Mendes is largely because of his commitment to body kicks, while he was being out wrestled everytime he snapped a body kick at Mendes he wore at his gas tank.

070_Chad_Mendes_vs_Conor_McGregor.0.0.jpg

To give you a more serious answer, the teep hasn't really caught on in MMA yet for the most part.

It's a deceptively hard strike to do and requires a lot of balance because you're having to push your opponent backwards while keeping yourself standing and strong. I've heard people claim that it doesn't work because you're giving the leg to a wrestler, but seeing as its so rare you even see a teep in MMA its hard to say whether that's actually true. There's a lot of shit we didn't think would work in MMA until Cro Cop came along.

Because the foot bounces off the target pretty much it becomes a good non-committal weapon if you're good at it. Conor McGregor's win over Chad Mendes is largely because of his commitment to body kicks, while he was being out wrestled everytime he snapped a body kick at Mendes he wore at his gas tank.

chad took that fight on 9 days notice so it isnt fair to claim conors body kick gassed him taking someone down multiple times to me is more of why chad gassed its pretty hard to go out for 5 rounds and wrestle someone whos naturally 20 pounds large on fight day

chad took that fight on 9 days notice so it isnt fair to claim conors body kick gassed him taking someone down multiple times to me is more of why chad gassed its pretty hard to go out for 5 rounds and wrestle someone whos naturally 20 pounds large on fight day
If you want to gas an opponent, kick them in the body. It's the oldest strategy in the book.

Would you say that front kicks are less effective in Muay Thai at a high level? I don't often see them

I think the stance required to do a proper MT teep doesn’t lend itself as well to mma compared to the front kick. Jones, machida, Anderson, and Conor all have really good front kicks

I think the stance required to do a proper MT teep doesn’t lend itself as well to mma compared to the front kick. Jones, machida, Anderson, and Conor all have really good front kicks

well said, MT stance and teep is too square for MMA. Theres another reason why Mcgregor is so succesful with landing his front kick, not spilling the beans but the hint would be its related to his stance.

Would you say that front kicks are less effective in Muay Thai at a high level? I don't often see them

Maybe it's just me but my perception was that the further up you go in Muay Thai the more important they become, especially against a Muay Khao.

It would be true to say that round house kick's are thrown more often but then they rarely score as often they are blocked.

Some examples;

MT stance is asking to be sent for a ride to takedown city, the MT clinch one as well

That being said it's a different sport coupled with MT being not so developed in the states. Different priorities, it's why something like a "calf kick" can seem so revolutionary, when it's just a subpar low kick. Would never gain the success it did in MMA of it were in MT or KB

Last edited:

I don't think it's that they're inneffetive in Muay Thai, they'll hurt about the same, but the teep is going to be more efficient in the long term because it off balances your opponent more. In Thailand, balance scores a lot so if you're pushed off balance by a teep, they will score that higher than a punch to the face.

For me, I prefer a teep to a front kick, but my background is in Muay Thai so I'll always be more comfortable going for it - in a muay thai fight, I can't say that I won't use a front kick, they can be useful, but I think its more beneficial to maintain range with a teep!

It's worth mentioning that the best muay thai fighter to actually be GOOD in MMA (none of those fighters from Thailand really... count at all) is Cosmo Alexandre, and while he does have a decent teep on him, in MMA he rarely goes to it, because his muay thai is so good and he's such an explosive fighter, he can just walk up to you and knock you out anyway

i agree as in boxing too but chads issue mainly was not being in fight shape

He would have gone down to the front kicks anyway, his cardio has never been his strong suit.

@ImmigrantMentality for a similar fight, look at the Whittaker fights vs Romero, by the end of those fights Romero really struggles because of the constant snap kicks to the body

Maybe it's just me but my perception was that the further up you go in Muay Thai the more important they become, especially against a Muay Khao.

It would be true to say that round house kick's are thrown more often but then they rarely score as often they are blocked.

Some examples;

Yup

If you're against a knee fighter, teep,
also if you ARE a knee fighter, teep

You can throw in a simple jab - you have the odd guy putting it to work but it's the exception rather than the norm.

And proper footwork/balance, feints.

Most mma guys are jacks of all trades and from what I've seen don't put time in to learning fundamentals. Everyone seems to want to do neo-footwork (think cruz or dillashaw) or unconventional strikes (think tony ferguson). Seems everyone wants to do flashy stuff on pads rather than hone the fundamentals.

I think the issues in MMA in regards to striking is:

1) its still a young sport compared to others
Meaning the quality is low compared to other disciplines. You see it at events when in order to prep for bigger MMA fights, they'll take part in MT, KB, or Boxing fights; Despite their exp. they're almost always a class lower in skill. Eg. Having 10 fights, but equal to someone with 5-7 in the individual areas.

2) lack of ammy exp
its common to see ppl have around 14-20 fights minimum before going pro in the amateurs in the west (MT/KB). MMA? You see ppl going pro after maybe 5-6 fights, and that's pushing it. 3-4 is more common. Back in the day it used to be even more ridiculous, people going pro just to get some paper after 6 months. Present day, there are more coming on board with the whole building an ammy route then transition up to pro.

There's also some snobbery behind some fighters I see with "He's just an ammy", "I'm a pro" despite the fact some ammys have much more ring exp than they do. In other parts of the world its not uncommon to see amateurs rack 50-100 fights under their belt.

Last edited:
Back