MSM, Glucosamine Sulfate & Chondroitin

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by legolas4112003, Jul 3, 2010.

1. legolas4112003

legolas4112003 Yellow Belt

Hi guys

I dislocated my shoulder twice in three weeks, some people from my gym suggests me to take supplements like MSM, Glucosamine Sulfate & Chondroitin to speed up the healing. Do those supplements help with this particular injury?

2. Ayin

Ayin Black Belt

Have you seen a good doctor about this to make sure you do not have a pre-existing condition or any permanent damage?

3. brnforce

brnforce Black Belt

Those are standard joint health supplements. If you are allergic to shellfish see a doc before taking. It won't be a miracle cure or anything, but taking that plus a good rehab program can minimize further damage.

4. legolas4112003

legolas4112003 Yellow Belt

I was doing rehab after the first dislocation but like all the dumb idiots i felt my shoulder was good and started training again then dislocated it second time. I kinda want to know if the supplement works for my injury or not before buying them.

5. dpold26

dpold26 Blue Belt

I've taken glucosamine after spraining my knee. It seemed to help. That and a lot of ibuprofen.

6. Renaissance

Renaissance Blue Belt

I stopped taking glucosamine & chondroitin about 2 months ago and feel absolutely no difference in my knee (which has lost over half its meniscus).

Btw, could a mod explain why a thread was deleted between last night and today in D&S please? It seemed civil enough and was not just another Paleo / dairy sucks thread.

I feel like I learned something in that thread, spent quite a bit of time making a reply, and show up this morning and the thread is gone (my post is also deleted from post history).

7. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

My gut instinct tells me these 'joint supplements' are completely ineffective. The studies on them are inconclusive as well.

I stopped going through the trouble of taking it even though I have half a big Costco bottle remaining. Maybe I'll finish off the bottle and see if my wrist and shoulder pains go away.

8. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

Short-term pain is not something that will go away, and it shouldn't. The body needs some inflammatory-response, some prostagladin communication so the healing process moves along.

I'm not sure what people expect when taking these things, but connective tissue takes longer to heal than bone. It's some of the slowest healing tissue in the body, and inflammation is part of that healing process. Any element that assists in the formation of that tissue is going to give some help, but it's not help you'd "feel" per se.

That said, sulfate glucosamine is the way to go, hydrochloride is pretty much worthless. There's also a good product from Country Life called "Liga-Tend" that has L-proline in it, which is very difficult to come by.

9. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

That is interesting. Could you link to any sources for that?

The product I've been using for damage in the knee articular cartilage has glucosamine HCL, chondroitin sulfate and MSM. Given that I can't find a combination of glucosamine sulf + chondroitin sulf (nor a chondroitin-only product) from any easily accessible (to me) source, would you recommend taking glucosamine sulfate over glucosamine HCL+chondroitin sulfate+MSM?

10. Sinister

There's not really any one source. Just that first, glucosamine HCL wasn't the first one on the market. The sulfate was, because that was the one with any real backing. If you look up studies, the older ones were done with sulfate, not HCL (the ones done with HCL have the murkiest results). HCL is markedly cheaper, which is why companies are phasing out sulfate-based products (lending explanation to the difficulty you're having finding one), in act of cost-cutting across the board.

As far as I know, Source Naturals still has a combination product that has the sulfate, it's a little pricey, though. Historically speaking, the sulfate should make a definitive difference, but it also depends on the nature of the problem. And being as chondroitin is good, but not absolutely necessary, and that MSM is a good anti-inflammatory, there are other ways of going about it than just settling for a blend product.

That Liga-Tend stuff is pretty wicked, though. Proline is nearly impossible to come by because it's primarily a biological by-product. You won't find it in food sources, but our bodies use it in joint repair when it's made in the body. When I called country life to ask them how they obtain it, they said all their products are made through bacterial fermentations...biological by-products. Very smart. That explains how they also made a vegetarian amino complex with good bio-availability.

11. Renaissance

Renaissance Blue Belt

Great information, thanks.

(Btw that thread is showing up now :icon_conf)

12. NoPain

NoPain Green Belt

13. mowrown

mowrown Yellow Belt

Puritans pride's joint complex is sulfate as well.

14. NoPain

NoPain Green Belt

animal flex as well i believe

15. brnforce

brnforce Black Belt

I was having nagging knee pain due to training and Animal flex got rid of it on the first day. I take Orange Triad now, less pills to take as it's a multi-vitamin as well. It works just as good IMO. I know that my pain wasn't an injury but just soreness so don't expect it to get rid of injury pain on the first day lol.

Get well soon!

16. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

Nice! Orange Triad sounds like just what i was looking for.

17. MuyThaiFighter

MuyThaiFighter Orange Belt

18. brnforce

brnforce Black Belt

Neat! There's a butcher's block within 100 yards of my dad's house. I should try this next time I visit. Have you tried it? If so, how is it?

19. skreenaim

skreenaim White Belt

Bone broth is an awesome (warm) recovery drink. Bones, fat, skin, weeds, kimchi... much of the goodness in food normally goes in the garbage.

I've been taken glucosamin sulfate for years. I definately experience a 'feeling' difference. Took about two months to be noticable in both feeling and performance. I'd say the improvement stopped after about 8 months, and has held ever since.

20. Sinister

Just for reference's sake, GNC does have one Glucosamine Sulfate product left and that's the Trilex with Sam-e. Only that version, too. But the pills are pretty big, and it's pricey.