Mr. Robot Discussion "Hack the Gibson"

Krallang

Pleb
Banned
Reaction score
Edit: Season 4 episode 7 Act 5 is must see TV. Damn man Damn

Mr. Robot is an upcoming American drama psychological thriller television series created by Sam Esmail that follows Elliot, a young programmer, who works as a cyber security engineer by day and a vigilante hacker by night. Elliot finds himself at a crossroads when the mysterious leader of an underground hacker group recruits him to destroy the corporation he is paid to PROTECT. Compelled by his personal beliefs, Elliot struggles to resist the chance to take down the multinational CEOs he believes are running (and ruining) the world. The pilot episode was written by Esmail and directed by Niels Arden Oplev.

Pilot is available on Youtube.

[YT]JpxvvnWvffM[/YT]

So far its tracking a 9.2 on IMDB

Wikipedia for reference.

USA network has given the go ahead for 10 episodes, the series Premieres on June 24th. After watching the pilot I think this series will be awesome so I'm starting a thread. There have been a few posts in the TV series thread but I believe it deserves its own thread.

I'm getting a Fight Club vibe with some old school hackers nostalgia.

Angela has the girl next store look, not superhot but wifey material. Perfect for this show.

Youth+Revolt+Press+Conference+TIFF+2009+lxmPyrftrokl.jpg

2D9G8744.jpg

Last edited:
Its brilliant so far. Episode 1 was highly original and engaging.

[YT]drJWxMLrpE0[/YT]

I love this shit. I see a lot of potential.

edit: This show had me hooked in the first five minutes.

Last edited:
I saw the trailer for this in the theater. It actually looks really interesting.

Finished watching it. I like it.

I would describe the show as "DEXTER Meets HACKERS."

That sounds pretty awesome. I will have to check it out.

BTW, I still don't understand why we never got a Hackers sequel.

Wasn't aware there was a clamor for a Hackers sequel. The movie felt like an open and shut story kind of a film.

When I saw the thread title, I was kinda hoping this was going to be be a meta movie, ala Being John Malkovich, except it's about Russian mafia members kidnapping Edward Snowden, & forcing him to break into an unsuspecting Mel Gibson's online bank accounts. Wackiness ensues as a drunken, bathrobed Mel can't withdraw cash from a public ATM in Malibu, & goes on an angry tirade of racial epithets; meanwhile, Vladimir Putin & his forces try to hunt down the Russkie mafiosos, & steal back their prized programmer.

I'm sure a lot of you were thinking the same thing.

Anyway, I'll still be checking this one out.

Wasn't aware there was a clamor for a Hackers sequel. The movie felt like an open and shut story kind of a film.

Isn't that movie the movie most used to prove how little Hollywood thinks we understand hacking?

Isn't that movie the movie most used to prove how little Hollywood thinks we understand hacking?

What I like about Mr. Robot is that they seem to be doing their due diligence, and have been portraying hacking in an accurate light.

No two people to a keyboard. No 3D hallucinations. No furious random typing that doesn't seem to correspond to what's actually happening on screen.

I think they may have actually consulted a real cyber security software engineer.

What I like about Mr. Robot is that they seem to be doing their due diligence, and have been portraying hacking in an accurate light.

No two people to a keyboard. No 3D hallucinations. No furious random typing that doesn't seem to correspond to what's actually happening on screen.

I think they may have actually consulted a real cyber security software engineer.

Or watched an episode of Silicon Valley.

I'll watch the pilot later on but I wonder if "hack the Gibson" is a nod to William Gibson, author best known for his Sprawl Trilogy that includes Neuromancer.

I'll watch the pilot later on but I wonder if "hack the Gibson" is a nod to William Gibson, author best known for his Sprawl Trilogy that includes Neuromancer.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was a references to hacking the Gibson from the movie "Hackers".

Shot so well. Music is friggin excellent too. Feels Fincher-esque.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was a references to hacking the Gibson from the movie "Hackers".

yes Hack the Gibson is from Hackers, but i think in hackers the "Gibson" was a reference to William Gibson

Back