Moving to Brazil Part II

(Part 1/2)

It may just be my perception, but it appears that Brazil is the land of festivals, parties and holidays. They have a holiday for children, another one for workers, and a whole week called Carnival. From what I've been told, the celebration for Carnival is so hard core that even though it's supposed to last one week, it often has pre-partying and post-partying that can take over the better part of a month. Just to put things into perspective, the country consumes 80% of it's alcohol consumption during the celebration of Carnival, never mind the fact that they government distributes condoms and leads an anti-AIDS campaign.

Holidays can put a strangle hold on training as most of the country takes the time off, including my training partners. The academy has a special training schedule and although the academy is open it can't force it's students to come. A handful of hardcore grapplers show up, some casual guys, but for the most part we're working with about half of the numbers we normally have. The best part about the situation...today isn't even a holiday. The actual holiday is tomorrow and they just take an extra day off.

How Brazilians celebrate, how they eat, how they view time and enjoy life is easily enough content for a book, hell probably a full college course, but it asks as many questions as it answers. The most prominent question is

(Post 2/2)

This weeks grappling technique is an extension of last weeks. Last week I posted a video of how to take the back from the Insurance Plan Grip. This week I am posting an advanced option off of that grip. This move requires that you have very good body control, the ability to move your hips and a great memory to not do things out of order. Keep in mind if you lose that insurance plan grip before you start to belly down you're in trouble, if you don't push that far knee away with your foot to keep them framed out you're in trouble, if you forget to switch the hook in the back you're in trouble. Just make sure to rep this out before using it in a live grappling session and things should be good.

(note the video quality is not that great. I taped this in an area where the lighting was not ideal and when I tried to edit it together I may have made it worse by fooling around with the brightness and coloring. Forgive me, I'm still new to editing)

I have a Judoka friend (not Igor) who likes to give me a hard time about “butt scooting”. For those of you who do not know what this is, it is when I flop on my butt and use my legs to drag myself across the ground toward my opponent. Think of a dog that has eaten something spicy and is trying to clean its butt on the ground...you know what I'm talking about, we've all laughed at it.

I have never claimed that this is a glorious thing to do, nor have I said it was a great way to win a match, but let us be honest, sometimes it is good strategy. Anyone that disagrees with me needs to watch that video with Igor in it.

Now with that being said I need to point out that I have, in the past, said that I would never pull guard in an MMA fight or a real fight. For those of you who don't know, I have a good bit of striking experience. I have an “ok” double leg, a decent single and a couple other take downs that I could probably use to good effect against someone who never wrestled but my preferred take down method is to punch them in the head until they fall down (see it even has the word “down” in it) and then jump on them.

This week, while out enjoying the festivities of Rio, I did the unthinkable. I pulled guard on granite flooring. This was the result of one of the many games we play with each other, which can sometimes get out of hand; let me explain this particular game.

Let me start off by saying, sometimes when you live in a house full of men, especially fighters, we find new and interesting ways to entertain each other. With that being said, this particular game is very simple. You ask someone for something, they hand it to you, you throw it on the floor (they must willingly hand it to you). After throwing their object on the floor you have a couple of choices as to your next step: they vary from standing there with a blank look on your face all the way to pointing and laughing. I prefer to laugh as I walk away.

This particular day we were eating at Burger King. In Brazil it is very common to use your receipt to receive your food. You typically place your receipt on the counter and wait for the worker to look at the receipt and then fill your order.

I was one of the first people to pay so I was standing by the counter (wearing my crown) waiting for my food when I noticed Igor walking up to the counter (receipt in hand and crown on head also). I walked up to him and decided to take advantage of his inability to speak English. I asked to see his receipt and held my hand out. He placed the receipt in my hand where I promptly threw it on the floor, laughed in his face and turned to walk away.

It is at this point that I felt the vice grip of death latch onto my wrist and he pulled me back towards his receipt. I realized from his hip motion and death grip that I was going to the floor so I did what any self respecting BJJ artist would do when confronted with the reality of an angry world class Judoka...I sat on my ass, in the Burger King line and started to play open guard.

A lot of people have tried to make me pick up the items that I throw on the ground (this makes you become strategic about the items you drop, no house keys or car keys when you need the door opened too) but this was the first time in the history of the game that I've actually picked something up and handed it back. Keep in mind that I had to butt scoot from one side of the Burger King to the other with everyone getting a good laugh (employees included). Just like the dog, I had eaten something spicy...my pride. Mental note; no more playing “the game” with Igor.

Just to make sure that everyone realizes I know how to have fun like a normal person I took this photo of me having some normal fun with my great friend Dennis.

SAM_1878.jpg

That will bring this weeks blog to an end. Thanks for reading and let me know what you guys think!

The Gerbil

You and your games. Just a warning, never hand over anything of yours to this man(as explained above), or look at his open palm when he sticks out because he will slap you!

Igor is beasty and I kept thinking that those were replays of previous throws but I literally think he hit the same throw on the guy 5 TIMES!! You are right why the heck would he not stay down? It seemed as though Igor wasn't sure about what to do on the ground except if he could strike.

dammit I can't watch the video, something about the music you put to it, can you upload one without music?

Me and my friend once decided when we were bored in Canada that street judo would be the manliest shit in the world and we decided to actually do it. We were right, it was manly as shit. I hit the cleanest (and hardest) tai otoshi on him somehow, which is especially amazing because I don't know judo. I think I hit it out of necessity to not get thrown onto asphalt. Jeremy, you need to redeem your manhood and take it to the streets.

I saw part of that match with Igor. Pretty sick. Also saw some dude from England with a purple t shirt on and a sleeveless rash guard over it which I thought was a hilarious way to not have to buy a ranked rash guard. I assume he was yours.

That game sounds hilarious. Im playing it starting as soon as my roommates get home. You need to start playing Sandwich Punch, the greatest game ever invented.

MySpace - The Sandwich Punch Game - 26 - Male - NOWHERE IS SAFE, New Jersey - myspace.com/sandwichpunch

Tip: Although obliterating someones sandwich with the most epic punch SEEMS like it would be the funniest, punching straight down is WAY funnier, because they have to eat a flat fucked up sandwich the shape of your fist on it

Sam Raimi's sequel to, "Drag Me To Hell. . . " will be called, "Arm Drag Me To Hell." Starring Igor.

redeem your manhood and take it to the streets.

I saw part of that match with Igor. Pretty sick. Also saw some dude from England with a purple t shirt on and a sleeveless rash guard over it which I thought was a hilarious way to not have to buy a ranked rash guard. I assume he was yours.

I'll pass on the manhood thing I like my skin to actually keep my blood inside my body.

Yea the guy with the rashguard was Jack. He ended up having to buy another rashguard because that one didn't fly although it was pretty funny. Bummer I didnt get to meet up with you at the tournament we should have gotten a picture!

Yeah, although i was in a kind of poor mood the whole time (have trouble making feather in no gi... came in .02 under, and then I lost in the semi). Im going back to Rio next week, if I am anywhere near Gordos I will try to stop in

(Part 1/2)

Here is a photo of Igor on the podium with the second place finisher and his opponent from the video.

SAM_2002.jpg

Just to be clear Igor did win gold right.

What was the final score of his match vs the video opponent?

Judging from what Gerbil has told of Igor, I think he has two expressions, thumbs up = Igor happy, closed fist = Igor Smash.

Does Igor ever show expression? Lol.

Yes, just not when training. Outside of training he smiles a lot...about as much as he has the blank looking off into nothing stare.

Judging from what Gerbil has told of Igor, I think he has two expressions, thumbs up = Igor happy, closed fist = Igor Smash.
this is quite accurate although when he is in Igor smash mode he doesnt appear to be angry... in fact I cant think of a time that I've seen him upset.

Just to be clear Igor did win gold right.

What was the final score of his match vs the video opponent?

yes he won gold and the score was either 12-2 or 10-2 I cant recall.

this is quite accurate although when he is in Igor smash mode he doesnt appear to be angry... in fact I cant think of a time that I've seen him upset.

Beat him at a game of Sandwich Smash and I bet you will. :D

Do you guys hang out with the Brazilians you train with often? Like, do you guys all go out on the weekends together, or do the guys staying in the house mostly go out with each other and the Brazilians do their own thing? Don't think I've seen any stories about you guys going out with your other training partners.

And I train with Michelle Nicolini everyday who I would consider my professor over anyone else in the academy really.

Michelle Nicolini is coming to the gym I frequent on 11/20...I look forward to it. From everything I've seen video wise and from what you've said I'm thinking it'll be an amazing seminar. I was surprised by the price as well...

Back on topic (thread wise), Igor is a beast...it'd suck to meet him in a dark alley. Watching the video was pretty eye opening. Even though you speak about him quite a bit, it's entirely different to see him go at it in competition. Hopefully his MMA fight gets posted up here.

Beat him at a game of Sandwich Smash and I bet you will. :D

Do you guys hang out with the Brazilians you train with often? Like, do you guys all go out on the weekends together, or do the guys staying in the house mostly go out with each other and the Brazilians do their own thing? Don't think I've seen any stories about you guys going out with your other training partners.

You know, I never really thought about it. I've done some things with guys from the academy on a number of occasions but usually the guys from the house hang out. We train together and live together so it just makes sense. It's not that people from the academy ignore us, or that we ignore them, it just works out that way.

but like I said we do go out with those guys sometimes.

You ask and you shall receive

Igor seems like one bad dude, man. What a hoss. I haven't spoken Russian in years, but Gerbil Jiu-Jitsu in Russian would be something like: "джербыл джу-джэтсу"

Back