Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just as the title says I'm moving to Brazil for 6 month to train. I'm super excited but it's been a long road of getting everything put together. The passport, the visa, living arrangements, raising money and dealing with injuries.

Thankfully I had help from someone that I met on this forum and have everything planned out, it should be a very positive experience. I plan on training between 3 and 4 times a day and elevating my game as much as possible. I'm a seasoned purple belt but I am no longer affiliated with a BJJ school so it will be hard for me to advance in rank (I had a difference in opinion with my last instructor that resulted in me going to a non BJJ school).

Currently I train 10-15 times a week and I am a full time instructor for grappling and my ultimate goal is to compete in the Abu Dhabi. What I'm saying is....I'm going for it!

I'm going to keep this thread up and let everyone know how the training is going. I'll also try to use this as a tool to let people know how to make it happen for them if they want to go train in Brazil. Rioconnection was a great help (the guy that helped me on here) and can answer most of your questions. Anything I cant answer directly I'll find out the answer to and get back to you.

I'M PUMPED!
The Gerbil

Been there done that. Be careful. Buy some Brazilian clothes first thing.

Never carry a towel to the beach. Criminals will know you're a gringo. Don't over-train like I did because Its super hot there and the humidity will kill you. Whatever happens avoid getting injured and tap quick. Some brazilians are sick of Gringoes and will crank the hell out of subs even after you tap. Choose your training partners carefully.

Get used to training in a sweaty, smelly gi because laundry is expensive and most people do not have dryers. It takes almost 24 hours to hang dry a gi sometimes so make sure you have 4 or 5 tops.

Have fun! I had the best time ever!

If you're in Rio and you want directions to a really cheap/safe/discrete whore house in the Uruguaiana PM me.

Get ready for this:

100_0309.jpg

Let me know how it goes, i'm going to Thailand this summer but this winter I want to go somewhere for 3 months and I was thinking about going to LA and training out there but if Brazil would help me more then LA, I might be interested in doing that instead. Good luck bro, i'll be watching for your updates!

Been there done that. Be careful. Buy some Brazilian clothes first thing.

Never carry a towel to the beach. Criminals will know you're a gringo. Don't over-train like I did because Its super hot there and the humidity will kill you. Whatever happens avoid getting injured and tap quick. Some brazilians are sick of Gringoes and will crank the hell out of subs even after you tap. Choose your training partners carefully.

Get used to training in a sweaty, smelly gi because laundry is expensive and most people do not have dryers. It takes almost 24 hours to hang dry a gi sometimes so make sure you have 4 or 5 tops.

Have fun! I had the best time ever!

If you're in Rio and you want directions to a really cheap/safe/discrete whore house in the Uruguaiana PM me.

Thanks for the advice, I've actually read about your trip a little on this forum. So any advice that you have would be great. Thanks for the tip on the towel, but I honestly cant think that I'm going to spend a lot of time at the beach. I spent a year in Iraq and I really...really detest sand.

I'll probably over train, that' how I do it here so I cant think that will change.

I will have 4-5 gi's, I currently own 8 but will probably buy them there.

I'll keep the tapping quick in mind, I dont typically have an ego and I compete regularly. If it makes them feel better I'll just let them mop me up for the first few weeks and establish my position at the very bottom of the pecking order. I dont really need to wow anyone.

As far as the women...damn I'm in trouble. I dont drink, I dont party, but damnit I love women.

Where will you be training?

I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice...

Not trying to be a jerk but why train more then 2 times daily. Sounds like injuries to me. I tend to overtrain also, notice when I cut back my training a little bit I feel much much better. My gains have also improved a lot because of it. Good luck bro, by the way what gym are you going to be training at? Gracie Barra, Gracie Humanita?

Where will you be training?

I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice...

I'm all natural...and if you took a look at me you might suggest that I juice LoL.

I'm going to train at Gordo JiuJitsu in Rio.

"I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice..."

Ben,

Its possible but you really have to conserve your energy while rolling. You're basically forced to become really efficient at rolling. I would spar about 15 ten-minute matches per day and I'd spend most of the time defending and getting tapped.

"I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice..."

Ben,

Its possible but you really have to conserve your energy while rolling. You're basically forced to become really efficient at rolling. I would spar about 15 ten-minute matches per day and I'd spend most of the time defending and getting tapped.

Good to know, yeah pacing is def. in order for that...

Hey what are you doing online??? Aren't you in Abu Dhabi???

"Aren't you in Abu Dhabi???"

Thanks for asking. I didn't go.

Long story short: I pulled out for a few reasons: I quit my job and I'm moving to train full time at Alliance. I had to pay $350 for a Visa and I couldn't afford to miss a week of work. I have to live off my savings for 6 months and I need to work 80 hours a week for the next two weeks. I'm planning on going next year for sure.

i envy all of you who have had the opportunity to go down there and train. i wish i could but being married with a kid on the way has put a stop to that dream. be safe and take lots of pics; try not to over train.

Long story short: I pulled out for a few reasons: I quit my job and I'm moving to train full time at Alliance. I had to pay $350 for a Visa and I couldn't afford to miss a week of work. I have to live off my savings for 6 months and I need to work 80 hours a week for the next two weeks. I'm planning on going next year for sure.

Yeah I read your blog about a life change.....

Cool thing to do and good luck with it!!!!

Are you going to Alliance in the US, Sao Paulo, or Rio???? Would be awesome either way!

Here is me with a guy you might have seen before ;-)

n720356485_1246385_8998.jpg

That's funny that you train with Alliance, that's the team that I got my purple belt under.

Good luck man, when are you moving down?

Tony and I really want to come for the mundial camp but I'm not sure if we'll be able to. Good luck down there, keep us updated.

Goodluck bro, i hope you get as much as you can out of your trip

also, definitely keep this updated on your experience, and how it is there. i'm interested in taking a week or two trip to brazil to train sometime in the near future.

alright guys, the first update. I'm at the airport waiting on my flight. Dress comfortably and check the baggage laws for your airline. I was lucky enough to find out that international flights to Brazil allow you 2 checked bags at 70lbs each without an additional charge. It's the only country in the world that allows this (or at least the woman at the counter told me that and it appeared to be true after reviewing the standards). You can also take a laptop in a carrying case and it doesnt count as a carry on...nice to know when you're planing a long trip.

how much is this costing you, if you dont mind me asking. I wanna do the same as soon as I get blue belted. If its cheaper than Thailand, I'll go to Rio first and then Phuket later.

EDIT: Dont forget to eat acai berry fresh from the trees in Brazil. I read an article about how the Gracies eat a whole bowl of acai pulp before tourneys.

Rios cool. Im already here. My friend (jscore on sherdog) is here as well. We train at De la Rivas in Copa.

yo i heard gordos only has 2 clasess a day?

how much is this costing you, if you dont mind me asking. I wanna do the same as soon as I get blue belted. If its cheaper than Thailand, I'll go to Rio first and then Phuket later.

EDIT: Dont forget to eat acai berry fresh from the trees in Brazil. I read an article about how the Gracies eat a whole bowl of acai pulp before tourneys.

Haha...No one eats it fresh from the trees, maybe the natives in the Amazon...

And good luck finding an Acai palm in Rio... They eat their Acai frozen, just like the rest of us, because it comes from the jungle far away from the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back