moving from kyokushin to muay thai

robin101

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im currently doing kyokushin karate and i love the kumite, but it has too much emphasis on physical training, and kata/ kihon which I am not that up for. I would rather go to less sessions and do more actualy sparring for example. I dont get on well with kata as well. ITs good but Muay thai seems to offer more of what i want. I will not be competing. Will be doing it for fitness, fun and self defence (incomplete but helps with the striking part)

So any advise about changing from kyokushin to muay thai.

Thanks

Since you're not interested in competing it it really necessary to switch? Do you really think MT will have less emphasis on physical training [I'm assuming you mean push-ups, crunches and squats here] than Kyokushin. Kihon aka techniques training is necessary. How else do expect to improve your techniques? I consider Katas along the same lines as Shadow Boxing. I like MT too but its not the be all and end all of stand-up Martial arts.

For sparring, absolutely go with Muay Thai and/or Boxing.

We're all biased on here due to MMA, but those 2 arts are very effective and incorporate lots of sparring to perfect.

I train in kyokushin and we spar almost every day. We also do conditioning, basics, combinations, pad work, footwork, and kata (as a previous poster mentioned, is analogous to shadow boxing). I think the proportions my dojo does is about right for my taste. The only thing I wish we did differently was occasional sparring with head punches (we just allow kicks to the head, but not punches). Overall though, the sparring is excellent for toughening the body and developing fighting skill since it is full contact and we don't use any padding; you get used to taking bare knuckled body shots and your shins get really strong from all the contact and leg checks.

In contrast, I used to train muay thai and we only did conditioning, basics, combinations, and pad work, but no sparring. I heard the advanced students informally did sparring on Saturdays. It really depends on the gym or dojo you go to much more than the style in my opinion.

If there isn't any conditioning in the class you best do it on your own. Drilling, technique and sparring are essential to any art or self defense.

Try both and go with the one that you like. Your the one paying for it so get what you pay for.

I moved from KK to MT...I guess it depends on your gym but if you dont like conditioning stick with KK. work out for MT is REALLY intense.

for the katas it is similar as shadow boxing... the sparring varies i guess for on gym to another but usually MT spars ''harder''

i know how this sounds , but its for a number of reasons. I dont think the way the dojo trains is for me. I love the conditioning, stretching part. But however we dont do enough sparring for me and NO padwork. Our sessions are 1 1/2 hours and are as follows 45 mins conditioning stretching, half and hour kihon, the 10 minutes kata and 5 mins light sparring (sometimes we dont even do the 5 mins) I want a bit more sparring and pad work and a bit less moves drilling.

Also moving to muay thai for convenience. If there was a kyokushin dojo closer to where I live (hertfordshire) which did more sparring i would go there, but far as I know there is only a muay thai gym (minotaur gym) in my home town. Used to be more convenient for kyokushin when i lived in london, but then i moved. Still work in london, but wanted to train on my days off.

Wooh

Where are you based?
Pm me as I live in Hertfordshire (work in welwyn in fact) and my MT gym is near edgeware.

edit- Actually, I just read it more fully. You just named my gym. Go there and say hello (I'm down tomorrow infact).

Don't worry, there's a lot of sparring and padwork to be had.

No, not hitchin.

I taught there to help darren out for a new months a couple of years ago.
Minotaurs in Hitchin is not the main gym. It's something that sprung up under darren.
The main gym is in Burnt Oak where the fighters come from.

ok, well i live in Hitchin, so is the hitchin one an allright muay thai gym? I have heard good things.

I haven't been there since 2008 so no idea now.

I do know that it hasn't added to the fighters stable YET and it's been going maybe 3 years, if not longer (although there was one who did quite well, but he retired last year I think).
The burnt oak gym is still kicking them out. But that could easily be because the two brothers from there are professional fighters and teach and train there, whereas darren isn't (this isn't a disrespect thing, just a fact and as such darren doesn't have the same amount of time to put into as they do).
He does try though bless him.

Go along and give it a shot. The only alternatives are kickboxing in that region and I KNOW they are wank.

Smart move.

Take the good things you learned from Kyokushin (kicks, mental toughness) and add them to what you will learn in Muay Thai.

First thing that will need to be worked on will be your head punch defense.

Smart move.

Take the good things you learned from Kyokushin (kicks, mental toughness) and add them to what you will learn in Muay Thai.

First thing that will need to be worked on will be your head punch defense.

The major issue a lot of the KK guys have is their hands. The tend to be waists height.

But once they've sorted that out and got some boxing time under their belts, they usually do very well.

Back