Movies Movie News and Notes

This is the #1 reason why boxoffice numbers are low.

I remember in the 90s if you don't see movies in the theater it'd be 7-12 months before they're released on VHS to buy/rent.

There'd even be smaller theaters that sell tickets for $1 for movies released 2 to 3 months before, but still many months before being released on VHS.

Streaming platforms are killing theaters.
Those theaters go by a bunch of different names [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discount_theater] and were a pretty interesting piece of the theater ecosystem. They sell tickets for marginal fees and make their money on concessions. If you've ever studied box office returns they would produce a noticeable uptick in ticket sales, usually somewhere after week 8 when the previous week dipped below $500k domestic total. That 'second-run bump' could add a million or more to a film's final domestic gross even with the reduced ticket pricing. Now they're pretty much dead.

Now they're pretty much dead.

Yup, my side of Wichita had 'The Palace.' Where I saw roughly half of the movies in my youth.

Then I joined the Army and when I came back they tore it down and built a Cracker Barrel on its land.

That was about 20 years ago, when DVDs started to be released within months of first being in theaters and it was pretty ironic The Palace was still playing the movies when they're released on DVD.

Yup, my side of Wichita had 'The Palace.' Where I saw roughly half of the movies in my youth.

Then I joined the Army and when I came back they tore it down and built a Cracker Barrel on its land.

That was about 20 years ago, when DVDs started to be released within months of first being in theaters and it was pretty ironic The Palace was still playing the movies when they're released on DVD.
I have many a fond memory of The Palace.

SPACEBALLS Sequel in the Works from Mel Brooks and Josh Gad at Amazon MGM Studios

spaceballs_-_h_-_1987.jpg

The Schwartz is with Amazon MGM Studios, where a sequel to the 1980s parody film Spaceballs is in early development, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Josh Gad and Mel Brooksare producing the project that has Gad attached to star. Josh Greenbaum is helming the comedy from a script by Gad, Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez.

Plot details for the sequel to the Star Wars-spoofing comedy feature have not yet been shared. Kevin Salter will serve as executive producer on the new one.

Writing partners Samit and Hernandez are known for their work on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Mutant Mayhem, Pokémon Detective Pikachu, Addams Family 2 and the forthcoming Disney+/Lucasfilm special Lego Star Wars: Rebuild the Galaxy.

Originally released by MGM in 1987 — a decade after George Lucas’ sci-fi classic Star Wars debuted to become a culture-defining smash — Spaceballs starred Bill Pullman, John Candy, Rick Moranis and Daphne Zuniga, as well as a voice role for Joan Rivers as a C-3P0 parody. The film earned $38.1 million at the box office ($105 million in today’s dollars) and wasn’t exactly a hit with critics, where it earned mixed reviews.

But in subsequent years, it has become a cult hit and is considered one of Brooks’ signature films.

Gad teased work on the project earlier this month with a cryptic Instagram post that blocked out certain sections on the script’s cover page.

“Just handed in a film script that I think may be the funniest and best thing I’ve ever worked on and I am so freaking excited,” Gad captioned the post at the time. He added that working with Samit and Hernandez “has been heaven on Earth and many other planets as well. Love you boys!”

The Russo bros may be hit or miss in terms of quality but they definitely do know how to spend a lotta money

The way Netflix budgets are reported is misleading. Unless this is some sort of special deal, Netflix is paying talent upfront. It is an expensive film to be sure but it would not have a $300m listed budget if it was produced by a normal studio.

Still a lot of $

SPACEBALLS Sequel in the Works from Mel Brooks and Josh Gad at Amazon MGM Studios

spaceballs_-_h_-_1987.jpg

The Schwartz is with Amazon MGM Studios, where a sequel to the 1980s parody film Spaceballs is in early development, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Josh Gad and Mel Brooksare producing the project that has Gad attached to star. Josh Greenbaum is helming the comedy from a script by Gad, Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez.

Plot details for the sequel to the Star Wars-spoofing comedy feature have not yet been shared. Kevin Salter will serve as executive producer on the new one.

Writing partners Samit and Hernandez are known for their work on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Mutant Mayhem, Pokémon Detective Pikachu, Addams Family 2 and the forthcoming Disney+/Lucasfilm special Lego Star Wars: Rebuild the Galaxy.

Originally released by MGM in 1987 — a decade after George Lucas’ sci-fi classic Star Wars debuted to become a culture-defining smash — Spaceballs starred Bill Pullman, John Candy, Rick Moranis and Daphne Zuniga, as well as a voice role for Joan Rivers as a C-3P0 parody. The film earned $38.1 million at the box office ($105 million in today’s dollars) and wasn’t exactly a hit with critics, where it earned mixed reviews.

But in subsequent years, it has become a cult hit and is considered one of Brooks’ signature films.

Gad teased work on the project earlier this month with a cryptic Instagram post that blocked out certain sections on the script’s cover page.

“Just handed in a film script that I think may be the funniest and best thing I’ve ever worked on and I am so freaking excited,” Gad captioned the post at the time. He added that working with Samit and Hernandez “has been heaven on Earth and many other planets as well. Love you boys!”

Oh fuck off

Donald Sutherland, Versatile Star of M*A*S*H, Ordinary People and The Hunger Games, Dies at 88

donald-sutherland-1-6934695-1718908238512.jpg

Donald Sutherland, whose performances in such films as M*A*S*H, Ordinary People and The Hunger Games proved he could portray sinister, sympathetic, comedic or tragic with equal aplomb, has died. He was 88.

Sutherland died Thursday in Miami after a long illness, CAA’s Missy Davy told The Hollywood Reporter.

Remarkably, Sutherland was never even nominated for a competitive Oscar, though the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences made up for the oversight by giving him an honorary statuette in November 2017 at the Governors Awards.

A prodigious actor who often appeared in three to five films a year, the lanky Canadian-born star displayed great range during his six-decade career. His early characters, like crazed/dazed Pvt. Vernon Pinkley in The Dirty Dozen (1967), anti-Establishment Army medic Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce in M*A*S*H (1970) and hippie tank commander Oddball in Kelly’s Heroes (1970), were rascally mavericks.

With his distinctive baritone and crystal blue eyes, Sutherland was also effective in provocative roles, like when he played a private eye who falls for a prostitute (his then real-life romantic partner Jane Fonda) in Alan J. Pakula’s Klute (1971).

In Nicolas Roeg's horror thriller Don’t Look Now (1973), he and Julie Christie tantalized audiences in one particular bedroom scene, one of the more torrid sexual sequences in movie history. And for Federico Fellini, he starred in 1976 as Casanova.

Sutherland’s turn as the irreverent, martini-loving Hawkeye in M*A*S*H opposite Elliott Gould as “Trapper” John McIntyre brought him international stardom at age 35.

Taking a different tack, Sutherland was empathetic as a suburban Chicago lawyer trying to hold his family together in Robert Redford's Ordinary People (1980) and as a compassionate doctor in Richard Pearce’s Threshold (1981). But then there he was playing a maniacal pyromaniac in Ron Howard‘s Backdraft (1991).

Sutherland said he pursued the part of the despotic President Snow in The Hunger Games (2012) after his agent sent him the script. (He would return for all three sequels.)

The nimble Sutherland also memorably played a man on the run in Philip Kaufman’s 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a pot-smoking professor in Animal House (1978), the French painter Paul Gauguin in The Wolf at the Door (1986) and a South African schoolteacher who changes his opinion about apartheid in A Dry White Season (1989).

For those who aren't aware of the details of TLoU2's narrative, there's be alot of filler to stretch it within 2 seasons. This somewhat-announcement there may be 4 seasons tells me they're already developing a 3rd game.

The 2nd game doesn't have a satisfying 'End of Story' ending, and Sony is very much interested in capitalizing upon the popularity of the HBO series and hope it transfers into units of a $70 PS5 sequel.

Man Who Got Fired Announces That He Will Not Be Working At The Same Job Anymore. Encourages People To Help Defray The Costs of His Recent Terrible Investment.

++++

"I just want to reach out and let you know that after this long year and a half of working on 'Horizon' and doing all the things that's required and thinking about Yellowstone, that beloved series that I love — that I know you love," Costner said. "I just realized that I'm not going to be able to continue Season 5b or into the future."

“Francis is a legend. For many of us, his gifts to cinema were one of the inspirations to devote our own careers to film,” said Lionsgate film boss Adam Fogelson. “It is a true privilege to work with him, and to bring this incredible, audacious and utterly unique movie to theatrical audiences. At Lionsgate, we strive to be a home for bold and daring artists, and Megalopolis proves there is no one more bold or daring than the maestro, Francis Ford Coppola.”

Folgelson added, "I mean, it is basically a straight to VOD deal with a few theaters thrown in so that the old man does not look bad and he is paying all the marketing costs himself which kinda feels like elder abuse but the guy is rich as fuck and it is his money you know and so we can't lose in this deal and it is no worse then what Costner got from WB for his pos western and at least Coppola is not as big of an asshole".*

* added

For those who aren't aware of the details of TLoU2's narrative, there's be alot of filler to stretch it within 2 seasons. This somewhat-announcement there may be 4 seasons tells me they're already developing a 3rd game.

The 2nd game doesn't have a satisfying 'End of Story' ending, and Sony is very much interested in capitalizing upon the popularity of the HBO series and hope it transfers into units of a $70 PS5 sequel.

I guess I need to actually watch this at some point.

Official Trailer for RED ONE Starring Dwayne Johnson, Chris Evans, J.K. Simmons

Back