Movie Battles 2.0 #18: Signs Vs. War Of The Worlds

Signs easily...it was more of a cerebral film and very effective misdirection by M Night Shamylan. Signs isn't really about Aliens or an invasion...most idiots most likely missed that and were pissed off about the "water being the weakness" which isn't really a big part of the film.

War of the Worlds had a strong opening, good build up...but fizzled out quickly.

If you like to think during and after movies, Signs is for you.

If you are into special effects, big giant robots and explosions, War of the Worlds is your pick.

Signs easily...it was more of a cerebral film and very effective misdirection by M Night Shamylan. Signs isn't really about Aliens or an invasion...most idiots most likely missed that and were pissed off about the "water being the weakness" which isn't really a big part of the film.

War of the Worlds had a strong opening, good build up...but fizzled out quickly.

If you like to think during and after movies, Signs is for you.

If you are into special effects, big giant robots and explosions, War of the Worlds is your pick.

Bah

War of the Worlds takes this. Signs beats you over the head with its religious symbolism and themes about Fate. I enjoyed the movie but the ending was basically Shammy trying to use fate to redeem Dues ex Machina.

The ending was week with both movies tbh

War of the works benefited from stronger performances (Robbins is Awesome in his limited role), better pacing, and a hell of a lot better directions.

The best part of signs were the aliens. They led to genuine scares. The overdone symbolism hurt the film

War of the Worlds. I never understood why so many people like Signs. I guess some like that "everything happens for a reason" feel good theme.

I thought Signs was actually a good movie the first time I saw it. It's not that rewatchable, but I definitely enjoyed it way more than War of the Worlds.

these arent really comparable movies in my opinion
while both are sci fi with giant holes in them... signs is a more dramatic
film and war of the worlds is more action.

Both had good points and bad points.

While it's definitely a pretty hokey movie to look back on, the ending to Signs had me fucking pumped when I saw it in the theater.

Signs by a gnats pubic hair.

War of the worlds had to have one of the worst scenes in recent history. When all 3 of them are in the van after the 1st attack by the tripod. The little girl is constantly screaming, asking if the attack was done by terrorists as did the young kid. Just a terrible scene. Terrorists. lol.

Signs has it's logic fails but really it is fun enough and has some great creepy moments so I give it a pass on those. Better film. wotw is OK, but I can't think of anything really great about it. Oh, and it had some logic fails as well. Tom Cruise overpowering Tim Robbins? I don't think so, Tim towers over him.

Signs easily.

I really wanted to like WOTW but as someone said earlier it just fizzled out, by the middle of the movie I just couldn't care less.

Signs with all it's holes kept me in suspense and had me caring about the characters and outcome.

On the other hand I was rooting for the tripods to smoke Cruise and his kids.

Signs easily.

I really wanted to like WOTW but as someone said earlier it just fizzled out, by the middle of the movie I just couldn't care less.

Signs with all it's holes kept me in suspense and had me caring about the characters and outcome.

On the other hand I was rooting for the tripods to smoke Cruise and his kids.

lol - I have to agree with you on that. WOTW started really strong, the aliens popping out of the ground and exterminating everyone was a pretty incredible, powerful start to the movie.

After that, there wasn't another really memorable scene, and when wotw ended, it just ended like nothing. It didn't feel like the movie went anywhere, there was no climax and the characters didn't seem to be all that important in any way, to the situation going on around them, or to the audience.

Great match-up. Besides having similar themes, both movies are also negatively viewed by many here.

I love both films. I had an awesome time watching them the first time at the cinemas. Both were very intense and felt the main characters wouldn't survive in the end.

With that said, I would have to give the edge to Signs.

dying via water or dying via the common cold

I'll most definitely give it to the Aliens in Signs as they weren't studying the human population for millions of years

War of the Worlds remake fucking sucked.

Back