Movie Battles 2.0 #18: Signs Vs. War Of The Worlds

Neither one is particularly good but Signs at least had some good moments.

Unbreakable was ok, but I really enjoyed Devil. I think he was just credited with the story concept though.

I actually enjoyed The Happening, although my expectations for that one were extremely low.

I also enjoyed Devil.

Unbreakable was my favorite and i also liked Sixth Sense.

Yeah.

What if it was really humid out?

Or a sprinkler went off?

I just thought it was weak sauce. They could have used almost anything else but that.

I don't know. I think a lot of what he did in that movie was clever and original. Maybe not perfectly thought out but it's more interesting than if the family opened their gun safe and started blasting.

signs is good, but i really like war of the worlds.

I don't know. I think a lot of what he did in that movie was clever and original. Maybe not perfectly thought out but it's more interesting than if the family opened their gun safe and started blasting.

I liked most of the movie but a shitty ending can really ruin everything.

I think overall M Night is a good director. He just relies to much on the twist ending when he doesn't have too.

Didn't rate either of them but holy fuck was WotW annoying with that twot Dakota Fanning and just generally being a rubbish setting compared to the book. I'll give Signs a vote

War of the worlds as awesome. Signs was fucking awful. E everything Shmamalalaman has done with the exception of The sixth sense and Unbreakable has been complete and utter crap.

Both pretty good. It was a hard choice, but I picked signs. I love alien attack movies with the army getting involved and big scale wars. That made the choice tough because signs was the better movie, but war of the world had a little of what I consider an epic movie. (No movie has really done this well though, battlefield LA was close)

Anyways, In the end I chose signs simply because it was a well acted, interesting film. Majorly underrated.

War of the Worlds for me.

A lot of good scenes in that one like the Tripod emerging on the top of the hill and everyone staring at it before panicking. Or when the daughter went to the river and the bodies started floating down.

Signs had a much better focus, and it felt more real- as real as an alien story can be. It was a bottle story with just one family in one house dealing with a crisis that is happening all over the world. Everyone can relate to that, we've all sat around the TV in fear and worry over raging storms or war and other disasters as they wreck shit and it makes us feel powerless.

War of the Worlds is just another alien invasion with huge explosions, and I know it is one of the first since the book was written way before other alien movies, but compared to Signs I liked the smaller bottle feel.

both featured a hidden weakness that the aliens overlooked, and if you are basing your feeling over if you bought one weakness over another then I'm not going to try to defend it, but I really don't see Water vs Germs as that big of a deal. But let me ask you this, if the weaknesses were swapped, if Signs had aliens getting sick, would that make you like the movie more?

Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?

Didn't rate either of them but holy fuck was WotW annoying with that twot Dakota Fanning and just generally being a rubbish setting compared to the book. I'll give Signs a vote

this

I thought the endings to both of these movies sucked, but I gave a slight edge to WotW.

The creep factor in Signs was good, but the ending killed it for me. They tried to hard to tie everything together in the end. I'll get into movie mode and believe stuff that's over the top for the sake of the movie, but to believe a highly advanced alien race came to wage war with a planet that is made 70% what you are deathly allergic too is just dumb. Not only that, they decided to do it with ground troops where they would have been wiped out by a rain storm.

War of the Worlds wasn't much better ending wise. I thought the action was good, but then it just ended abruptly. It was more believable that germs took them out over water, but it happened to fast. It went to quickly from having no hope to a dead enemy.

Both good movies with flaws.

I prefer the rural family setting of signs.
The Brazilian birthday party scene was a huge scare the first time.
Mel Gibson out in the corn field at night was pretty scary too..

War of the Worlds via Morgan Freeman narration. Also has Miranda Otto in a tragically minor role. Mmmm, Miranda Otto - would smash.

True, WotW also had DF's annoyinly piecing scream every other minute, and the news footage alien reveal scene in Signs was cool, but still have to go with WotW overall - I still think about it from time to time (especially all the machines stopping working), whereas Signs never crosses my mind unless someone mentions it.

I liked the overall atmosphere in Signs. Yes, the water thing was pretty fucking stupid but I still enjoyed the movie a lot more than War of the Worlds.

I really like both movies, but I'm going with War of the Worlds. Movie is underrated. It has some awesome parts. It has a lame ass ending though, but then again, so does Signs.

Back