moves you don't think should be illegal

There was a guy on this forum or the UG talking about a bicep being ripped half off the bone by a bicep slicer.

However you can get injured with any BJJ technique obviously, that is what it is made to do, however, some are higher percentage for injury or serious injuries.

There was a guy on this forum or the UG talking about a bicep being ripped half off the bone by a bicep slicer.

However you can get injured with any BJJ technique obviously, that is what it is made to do, however, some are higher percentage for injury or serious injuries.
FFS that's nasty..
I think kneebars should be allowed @ blue-belt, as by then the grappler isn't a complete noob and knows not to just wrench the shit out of somebodys leg like a noob white belt might..

FFS that's nasty..
I think kneebars should be allowed @ blue-belt, as by then the grappler isn't a complete noob and knows not to just wrench the shit out of somebodys leg like a noob white belt might..

I agree, kneebars scare me less than heel hooks though..especially inside heel hooks, it's not a good feeling because there is no pain just an odd pressure that you know isn't good....

I think white belts should stick to upper body submissions only, and straight ankle locks. It is common practice in most clubs for a reason.

However by blue most subs if not all should be open to you. Blues understand the spaz factor, or else they would never get their blue.

isnt an 'excessively violent takedown' illegal? So, if you fucking own someone with a harai-goshi or something, you could get point deducted?

No. Really, it's that simple. No.

Excessively violent means intentionally spiking someone on the head etc. So if you modify your harai-goshi so you intentionally land them on their head, then you'll be given hansoke-make (ie disqualified). But you can land them anywhere else as hard as you like. Ask any nationally ranked or above judo referee, or competitor. The call you're talking about never happens.

Caveat: in some local tournaments referees might call it for cadets (under 12 years), though if they do so they're making up their own local rules - in the Canadian cadet championships for instance there's no such rule.

I thinks thats true. One of the guys from my old gym was a Russian who kept doing a double leg, picked his opponent up high and slammed him. The ref let it go for the first three times because he didn't think the Russian could understand him. When he did it for the fourth time he was disqualified.

East Europeans can be tough but Russians go to extremes. The friend of that other Russian jumped and yanked on a heel hook in a gi lesson which broke something in my foot. It didn't heal for months.

Another type of slam you are not allowed to do is jump backwards when someone has your back. Such as when Marcelo had Ricco Rodrigues back.

Your Russian friend ran across a very bad referee, or a weird tournament where they had in-house rules. It sounds kind of strange as well in that a successful, hard double leg (called morote gari in judo) would give him an ippon ... ie the match would be over. Were they running some strange rules where ippon wasn't enough to win, you had to keep fighting for the duration (there are a few tournaments like that, in house rules etc).

You're right about jumping backwards when someone has your back though - automatic hansoke-make

I don't think at the higher levels any moves should be restricted. The reason I chose BJJ when choosing a martial art to study was because it was considered the overall best method of fighting and self defense. Now that I'm in it I see that all kinds of stuff is illegal. It's disapointing.

Anything illegal in sanctioned MMA should be illegal in grappling or BJJ. Beyond that, I don't think slams should be legal (though an advantage could be given for them) or twisting leg locks in the kimono (gi material can get caught up and twist the leg after the tap). I'm a little concerned about neck cranks, small joint manipulation (finger pulls, ear twists, etc), and the flying scissor takedown too. I don't see any reason why they should be allowed when the dangers of those techniques are taken into consideration.

However, I think bicep slicers/knee compression locks in advanced divisions should be legal, as well as wrist locks, heel hooks, toe holds, etc. Even using the belt to choke or armlock - as long as it is still tied around your or your opponent - no taking it off and hog-tying or deadman chokes.

Back