"movement" training?

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
all sudden lots of fighters are getting these so called movement coaches ad im curious if its just another dumb fad like how the snorkels were in 2007 training ect

all sudden lots of fighters are getting these so called movement coaches ad im curious if its just another dumb fad like how the snorkels were in 2007 training ect
I imagine it’s a fad. The only movements a fighter needs to practice come from sparring and training

I think everyone panicked when Forrest Griffin wrote his book. Now everyone's preparing for that shit, in case we need to outsmart animals in the wild.

Conor was the first I believe and he proved that it isn't a myth because it's actually effective and translates well inside the cage

I imagine it’s a fad. The only movements a fighter needs to practice come from sparring and training

exactly.. if eel if you are a guy as stiff as askren then sure their are some really stiff guys out there who need to loosen up but i dont think average guy needs it i mean playing legit catch with tennis balls cant help you that much lol now i do believing in timing speed

i play fighting games and ddr which is a rythem game and u gotta be fast and react in time if eel that greatly gives em an edge in grappling boxing as im able to think faster on the fly but was curious as to what the more advanced guys here thought about it

lol not sure if serious but conor does nothing now that he didnt do before he even got into ufc he had a great left hand and didnt ever throw with his lead hes the exact same fighter as he was when i knew him from when i was coaching mma in ireland before he got to ufc

Conor was the first I believe and he proved that it isn't a myth because it's actually effective and translates well inside the cage
There were guys doing it way before (Alvaro Romano) - conor and his butt touch guy just made it well known to casuals.

Nog bros wer doing this ages ago - but as a supplement to the actual skills training.

There were guys doing it way before (Alvaro Romano) - conor and his butt touch guy just made it well known to casuals.

Nog bros wer doing this ages ago - but as a supplement to the actual skills training.

This is very basic compared to what Conor was doing. Plus Conor was actually able to prove it's effectiveness

Thats a little too far I reckon - there's a lot to be said for mobility work and prehab.

The thing about training is there is only so much one can do in a day/week/camp without hindering recovery or risking energy. Elements of the movement stuff I'm mentioning can be done on top of an existing program without further taxing the athlete. Ultimately Conor was just doing the work with Ido during fight week as something fun and low intensity.

The trouble comes when the movement stuff cuts into or replaces actual S&C or skill training. Like when someone like Naudi tries to replace an entire S&C program with prehab type stuff with cables on swiss balls or when fighters are spending a lot of time on technique heavy and taxing work like perfecting strict muscle ups or planches.

BJ Penn was doing movement training with the Marinovich brothers.

I don't think it's a fad at all. If you ever played a sport and then switched over to a more sedentary lifestyle your bodys muscle function won't be nearly as coordinated/precise/reflexes as once before as time goes by and it's because motor neuron efficiency declines the less and less you call upon it.

It's part of the reason why a professional athlete will drill a move thousands of time to get better at it. One part is to memorize the pattern and the other is training your body to respond to it as best as possible.

Last edited:
Back