Movement drills?

standingzero

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I'm wondering if anyone has some advice/material they can send my way regarding drills that focus on developing proper movement for bjj. I did bjj for about 10 months and have stopped for about 4 years. I'm just getting back in and also am training with a friend who's starting for the first time. I've got a big wrestling background and have tons of those kind of drills; but a lot of them don't really apply to bjj.

I'm trying to come up with a routine for us that would consist of 20-30 minutes of straight drilling. I know that I can always practice passes, sweeps, locks, etc. but I'm looking for other types of things to incorporate. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

Shrimp, Shrimp, and Shrimp...

Also, bridges, forward and backward rolls, shooting hips for triangles.

Ginastica natural is great, check youtube.

I also have a couple videos I downloaded a long time ago that show a lot of movement drills. I will upload them in a day or two.

Try doing a drill like this with a partner during open mat time at your gym.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXoILNDNLa4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NXoILNDNLa4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I also work alot with the physioball. Try to have as much of your body touching the ball as possible, but never stop moving. If you do it for 10 minutes every day before practice your flow of motion should improve.

Ginastica Natural is great.
Investing in one of the DVDs would definitely be worth it.

I just saw some ginastica natural stuff on youtube yesterday. I'm definitely going to invest in it.

Thanks Paige for putting up the vid and to Yojimbo for getting on it as well.

Elbow escape/shrimping drills, upa-ing then escaping to the knees, butterfly guard advancing and then retreating, sit through drills, standing up in base, putting someone in your guard and sitting up for the kimura/hip heist sweep (works the abs as well) general ukemi/tumbling. There's a ton of stuff you can do that is only limited by your imagination.

ok...this is not a shameless plug (kinda)...but if you go here Judo, BJJ, Kyokushin, Oh my! I just put up a video of some solo drilling...and will be adding more either today or by monday, so seriously check it out.

Sorry about taking so long with those videos, for some reason the DVD I burned them to will not read in my laptop. I used my dad's computer to burn them, I will have to try reading them from it. Gimme another day or two.

Back