mouthguards

Vice

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've started wearing a mouthgaurd during kickboxing and MMA training. Yes, I am new to it. and man, do I gas so bad. Makes me think I should wear a mouthguard during the supplemental training I do (weights/plyo/sprints,etc..) to really condition myself around it.

The only concern though is that might detract from the reason I incorporate such training in the first place which is primarily for explosivness and less for cardiovascular endurance.

I'm going to try it out either way, anybody do this or have an opinion?

Do you usually breathe through your mouth?

Mouth and nostrils. I'm not really sure what is proper for MMA. I thought I would just kind of naturally adapt as I went along.

Maybe I should be asking about proper breathing. I'm just not used to having something in my mouth while training. And it seems to logically make sense that if you have to use a mouthguard in competition, you should train with one at all times.

When you say you gas - do you mean that you gas because you get tired, or you are gassing because you are having trouble breathing (because of the mouth guard)?

I get tired way worse than normal. I believe it is mostly due to having an object in my mouth that obstructs normal breathing pattern.

If you're training to fight, then I highly suggest wearing your mouthpiece when doing any supplemental training (Except max strength training, you want to be as fresh as possible).

Train how you fight.

If you're just training for fitness...hell with it.

You should be breathing primarily out of your nose. I would try to wear your mouthgaurd as much as possible during your supplementary training to "train" yourself to start breathing primarily out of your nose. Just my .02

Until you get used to breathing with a mouthguard in you should train with it in. After that, I just do my training with my mouthgaurd in for the last two weeks before I fight, gets me comfortable with wearing it. Otherwise I don't wear one when I train.

You should always wear your mouthguard whenever you are sparring or fighting with anyone. An accident knows no bounds and you can get just as hurt during a practice session or a real fight. I have had patients get extremly hurt during a practice session because they did not wear their mouthguards.

If you need any more info visit my site www.fightdentist.com

thanks

Dr. Adam Persky
Teh Fightdentist

Nice one, fightdentist.
I personally train w/ my mouthgaurd in all skill/ bag sessions, all rolling sessions, all skill sessions, etc, and 2 out of three cardio/ cond sessions.
If you are new to a mouthgaurd, get a double. You can open your lips, grit your teeth, and still breathe without the added hindrance of an open mouth for being KO'd in comp.

qhahahhaha

here, TS, check out both these option and use them both

1) nasal irrigation- you buy saltsot make a saline solution that you flush out your sinuses with.

2) olbas nasal inhaler - actually works to open your nasal passages,and doesn;'t cause them to swell up 5 minutes later.

otherwise if you have some kind of serious problem, consider surgery.

No sinus problems. Had sinus surgery when I was young. Just trying to get used to it.

I have a double mouthguard, with the cut out air hole. Don't see many other fighters with that kind, so it is probably a poor choice. I drool alot too. I suck.

Thanks for the feedback

I use a LoPro Brainpad for sparring and fights. It's a little big but lets you breathe even when clenching your teeth. For rolling I just use a ShockDoctor gel.

No sinus problems. Had sinus surgery when I was young. Just trying to get used to it.

I have a double mouthguard, with the cut out air hole. Don't see many other fighters with that kind, so it is probably a poor choice. I drool alot too. I suck.

Thanks for the feedback

As far as I know, the only reason most fighters use a single is that is what they started out with, and are uncomfortable using a double. FightDentist, any input on this?

You could also cut a bigger hole in the double mouthguard. Be careful not to decrease the effectiveness of the mouthguard too much.

Probably just leave it as is. I'll get used to it, this week was better.

I drool like a retard though.

You get used to it given time under bar

During rolling last night I took a falling shoulder to the mouth big time. If I wasn't wearing a top of the line mouth guard my teeth would probably still be on that mat.

Back