Mouthguards and cups : suggestions?

blandy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've decided that since we have been rolling with srikes more often at BJJ class I want to pick up a mouthguard and a cup. Any suggestions on what ones to go for? do I need a steel cup like for Muai Thai? what about mouthguards, single or double?

Depending on how hard you are striking I would not skimp on the mouthguard. If you're just going light I would maybe just get a cheap boil and bit. If it is semi intense or better get one of the custom made jobbers from opro or Biteme. As far as cups go I haven't had any problems with my Bike cup made for baseball.

I have an opro being made in their laboratories right now as we speak...I'll let you know how it feels when I get it. I think mouthguards are the one piece of equipment that are overlooked...many boil and bite mouthguards do not fit properly even after the boiling process (harder to speak, uncomfortable, and can be dangerous if not properly fitted).

Get a Thai metal cup and an OPro mouthguard.You may want invest in a decent jock strap or shorts with a cup slot built in so you don't end up with the laces of the Thai cup riding up your arse crack.

I have an Underarmor jock that I love, the most comfortable thing eva. And a Procup that flexes a good bit. It's hard as a rock but it still flexes to give you added comfort.

The Shockdoctor mouthpieces are very good. They have green goop in them that custom molds to your teeth plus they have cushioning technology. Easy to breathe and they don't fall off your teeth. You have to pull it off. Don't get a metal cup. There is a good brand--I think the brand is called XO or something like it. They have them at sports authority. They are flexible on the sides so it doesn't "bite". Only $10.

Opro for the mouthguards. If all you are doing is BJJ then a flexible cup is okay. But if you are doing any standup and don't have a metal cup then you deserve what is coming to you. Any MT kick will go right through anything less.

get a custom mouthguard from a dentist its worth it even though they're pricy it helps the breathing a LOT

I have the shock doctor mouth guard. I'm not really crazy about it. The trouble is that I typically throw my equipment into the truck in the morrning, work all day, then train at night. While the truck sits in North Carolina heat the mouth guard changes shape. After a week or two it feels like a retainer that doesn't fit and I need to remold it. I'd guess that any molding mouth guard will have this problem.

Regarding the cup, I started with a normal cheap plastic cup. I've worn them for in ice hockey and never had a problem. The trouble in BJJ is that I had no idea how often I was pressing the cup against somebody until I wore one. I have the back and I'm flattening somebody out, it's a cup press. I'm going for an armbar, it's sometimes a cup press. I'm going for the back and clinging on to the side with my legs wrapped around, it's a cup press. The damn cup is pressed so much that I was getting tender when the cup met my inner thigh. I bought the XO cup and the problem was solved.

Hope that helps.

alexgncw said:
get a custom mouthguard from a dentist its worth it even though they're pricy it helps the breathing a LOT

This is exactly what the Opro is minus the $150 the dentist will charge you. Opro gives you instructions on how to do the impressions yourself. It is easy and not worth the extra money. There have been several threads in the past from guys who wished they went with Opro other than the dentist. If you have that much money to throw around then fine, if not then there is nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

Yo I just got my Opro mouthguard today. It fits great! It was a lil tight on the side but that wasnt a big deal. I simply put that area in boiled water for 7 seconds and then fit in my mouth again and now it fits perfect. Unlike, generic $1 mouthguards, this mouthguard stays in place.

Although it is a little bulky, I can breathe a lot better than before and I dont have to worry about the mouthguard falling down.

Overall very happy with mouthguard, as well as the quick and friendly service I received from the people at Opro.

I guess if you are planning on doing moderate striking or higher, than you might as well spend the extra money for a Opro and be safe.

if i plan on doing bjj and mt, is there a cup i can get to fill both rolls? i dont want to take a thai kick with a flexible, nor do i want to roll with a steel cup but if i must..

Adino said:
I have an Underarmor jock that I love, the most comfortable thing eva. And a Procup that flexes a good bit. It's hard as a rock but it still flexes to give you added comfort.

Where did you get your Procup? I need to find a new one, I hate mine.

my big toe said:
Where did you get your Procup? I need to find a new one, I hate mine.

I got mine from Dicks too. I tried to give you a link but I could not find the darn thing on there web site. It works great though.

Back