mouthguard conditioning

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by stabmasterarson, Dec 15, 2005.

1. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson Orange Belt

Hey, I've been doing all my conditioning training with a mouthguard in lately..grappling, sparring (of course), running...and found that it is a lot harder, especially running, my heart rate goes through the roof... I find that I have to take short breaks running with the mouthguard in when I never had to without it.anyone else do this?

2. Morgano

Morgano Orange Belt

I always have problems with mouthgards because i have a lot of trouble breathing through my nose, although thought about going to a doctor but been too lazy

3. Tap112

Tap112 Yellow Belt

Try only breathing through your nose when you go through your warmups. My coach used to yell at us if he saw our mouths open.

4. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I have a stuffed up nose and it's gonna hurt my chest to go for a run in this wheather while breathing through my mouth.

5. desertbake

desertbake Orange Belt

I don't know if I've got sumthin wrong with my nose, but I can't JUST breathe through my nose with exercise (I usually breathe through my mouth a lot just resting). As far as the mouthguard goes, you might just have to either get used to it, or invest in a more expensive one

6. KOU In3

KOU In3 Orange Belt

I'm in a similair boat. My nose has been broken enough times, and my septum is so deviated that I only get air through one nostril, and not much through that one at that. Not a problem at rest but under heavy exertion, it's like breathing through a straw.

7. Reakt

Reakt Green Belt

Im the same, because my nose has been broken so many times its real hard to breathe through it. I use a mouth guard like this: http://www.karatesupply.com/14583.htm with a breathing channel, so i can still clench my jaw and breath through my mouth.

8. Tap112

Tap112 Yellow Belt

If you're in good shape, then you might want to get your nose checked out (if you can bother going to a doctor).
    I know how you feel. Up until I got my nose cortorised, it used to bleed like hell (got so bad that it would start bleeding when I washed my face). So I always had one nostril or the other stuffed up to my brain with gauze during practice.

9. farmboy

farmboy Banned Banned

I have one of these. It's pretty nice for the price. Much more protection than the crappy softer plastic ones.