Mouth Vs Nose Breathing?

July08

White Belt
Reaction score
Getting deviated septum fixed next month. Doc says I have 75% blockage!

Therefore I am always sucking wind through my mouth when grappling.

Anyone have an educated idea on how much that might improve my cardio?
20%, 2%, what do ya think?

Thanks much!!

You'll maybe be able to get more oxygen into your lungs, but it won't change the rate at which your cardiovascular system distribute this oxygen throughout your body, the efficiency with which your muscles will use it, the proportion of your energy expenditures that will actually come from this oxygen...

In other words, unless this is the very weakest link of all your aerobic conditioning, it is likely that it will have very little effect on actual performance IMUO (in my uneducated opinion). However it could give you more comfort during effort I guess.

On a sidenote, I remember talking about breathing with nose while running with some army pals - nobody did it, everybody just breathed through the mouth. Maybe it's just us amateurs?

You might also ask yourself wether your surgeon is buying a new car any soon ;)

Whoa its more like 42.3%. Don't get the numbers all mixed up man.

You guys remind me of the two hillbillies from the movie Deliverance.

Have a great weekend together - Wheeeeeeeeeh :icon_lol:
You might need to ask your grandpa what that means.

Peace

You guys remind me of the two hillbillies from the movie Deliverance.

Have a great weekend together - Wheeeeeeeeeh :icon_lol:
You might need to ask your grandpa what that means.

Peace

Whatever, mouth-breather.

In other words, unless this is the very weakest link of all your aerobic conditioning...;)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Have any idea where to look or who to ask in order to find out what the links are in aerobic conditioning and what a person's weakest link might be?

Thanks for the help.
PS I was in the USMC, thanks for YOUR service!!

Have any idea where to look or who to ask in order to find out what the links are in aerobic conditioning and what a person's weakest link might be?

Joel Jamieson's book would be a good place to start. Read the sticky thread by EZA at the top of this forum.

I think i get what your saying, ive heard from various sources that breathing through your nose absorbs more oxygen, therefore faster delivery. Which to me makes some sense. Is that what you mea? if you can inhale more air through your nose if you will get better oxygen absorbtion???

Thanks for the help.
PS I was in the USMC, thanks for YOUR service!!
Like pliftkl said, about conditioning you should start by reading this thread and then eventually this book. The marketing makes it look a bit like a scam, but it really is a good book.

Although my service is within the french Army, I do return the thanks ;)

A lot of fighters have deviated septums. Maybe the rich ones get them fixed, but all the ones I know just ride with it. If you're still fighting its going to happen again, anyway. I have a badly deviated septum, and it seems that one side of the nose has to do more work than the other. I think it might hurt my cardio a little bit.

I think i get what your saying, ive heard from various sources that breathing through your nose absorbs more oxygen, therefore faster delivery. Which to me makes some sense. Is that what you mea? if you can inhale more air through your nose if you will get better oxygen absorbtion???

I've heard Kung Fu guys say that breathing through your nose filters the air and is thus, somehow, more efficient. I don't buy into all that. The only reason I can figure that its better to breath through your nose is when your fighting. When your get hit while your mouth is open your going to easily get some broken teeth, a bitten tongue, or knocked out.

Back