Mousassi is an all time great right?

He's never been top 3 in any weight class at any point. He's not top 10 all time in a weight class either

Good fighter but not really noteworthy

Basically this. While his record is fairly outstanding, in my eyes anyway, it was losing the most pivotal matches that really keeps him from being one of the best ever. He had a showdown with machida where they only had a striking match, and while it was competitive, machida was just the better fighter. No shame in that. Machida IS a bonafide legend imo and one of the greatest ambassadors in MMA history. Jacare got him out of there convincingly in a crucial fight as well. The blunder against Hall is what it is, and sometimes that shit happens to the best of the best. Seems like the first time of his career that he may bring his potential to full fruition, he left the UFC.

100% agree.

For the record, he has always been highly praised by fellow top fighters. It's interesting to listen what Jacare Souza said about him, despite he completely dominated him in their rematch:

"The only dude I would not like to fight in the top5 is Mousasi. I beat him up when I was at the top of my game and he didn't have a good day. He will show how good he is vs Chris Weidman"

But at the end of the day, its not about potential or how good you are supposed to be but the actual accomplishments and I agree Mousasi lost most of his pivotal matches

Yoel and Whittaker who both fought for the title after GSP vacated it. Moose was easily above them so im not sure why he's trying to make it seem like moose wasn't close to a shot

He was easily above both Yoel and Whittaker? Who were both on longer winning streaks than Mousasi and who'd both beaten Jacare who'd beaten Mousasi? What about Rockhold who'd beaten Bisping the first time and whose loss was seen as a fluke?

Again you're statement isn't wrong but lacks context. We're talking about earning the title shot over other contenders not if you could beat the champ. Those guys were closer to/were at the front of the line while Mousasi wasn't. It just so happened that the champs in those divisions at those times were dominant champs while the champ at 185 wasn't. Irrelevant to who earned the title shot.

5 fights? That might or might not be true but Bader was on a 7-1 run and Fitch was on a 6-1 run? Is there a difference really? Anyhow it's irelevant cause 5 wins in a row still had Mousasi outside the top 5 cause everyone elses streaks were longer/had beaten him in Jacare's case.
Bader was KO'd two fights before he left and already lost to Jon. Fitch had a title shot and lost too. If you want to bring up context do it for both sides. Whittaker Yoel and Moose were the only dudes who were in the title convo when Moose left. How is that near the front of the line?

Again you're statement isn't wrong but lacks context. We're talking about earning the title shot over other contenders not if you could beat the champ. Those guys were closer to/were at the front of the line while Mousasi wasn't. It just so happened that the champs in those divisions at those times were dominant champs while the champ at 185 wasn't. Irrelevant to who earned the title shot.

5 fights? That might or might not be true but Bader was on a 7-1 run and Fitch was on a 6-1 run? Is there a difference really? Anyhow it's irelevant cause 5 wins in a row still had Mousasi outside the top 5 cause everyone elses streaks were longer/had beaten him in Jacare's case.
Actually thats not true. The win over Chris had him top 5 and only 2 guys had longer streaks. Whittaker and Yoel. Keep in mind this was before Rob beat Jacare. So Rob wasnt even top 5 yet

He was easily above both Yoel and Whittaker? Who were both on longer winning streaks than Mousasi and who'd both beaten Jacare who'd beaten Mousasi? What about Rockhold who'd beaten Bisping the first time and whose loss was seen as a fluke?
Rockhold just lost. Why would he be above moose? He just got KO'd. And yes he was above them because he was on a 4 fight KO streak.

Actually thats not true. The win over Chris had him top 5 and only 2 guys had longer streaks. Whittaker and Yoel. Keep in mind this was before Rob beat Jacare. So Rob wasnt even top 5 yet

Yeah they were the only two with longer UFC streaks(but Branch had a longer overall streak). But Rockhold had beaten Weidman first and had beaten Bisping before being upset. Beating Weidman was not enough to get a title shot at that time given how stacked the division was.

I get someone putting Mousasi over Branch and I also buy the arguments above that Mousasi would have likely beaten Jacare in a third fight. But again Jacare had won their last fight and should have still gotten the shot first. And there's no way to argue Mousasi getting a shot over Whittaker, Yoel and Rockhold. So at best case he's fourth or fifth.

He never held a ufc belt but he has to be considered one of the all time greats based on weight class movement and quality of wins. Im not a fan of the lower weight class fights he has been having lately but I cant be the only one that considers him a top bloke all time.

In my view, his skills rank with the best but he hasn't beaten enough top opponents to put him in the "all time great" category.

Rockhold just lost. Why would he be above moose? He just got KO'd. And yes he was above them because he was on a 4 fight KO streak.

Because he'd beaten Bisping previously and the loss was seen as a fluke. Rockhold had beaten Bisping, Machida and Weidman before the upset.

I think so considering his wellroundedness, fighting in most major orgs around the world, fighting bigger opponents, quality opponents.

Yeah they were the only two with longer UFC streaks(but Branch had a longer overall streak). But Rockhold had beaten Weidman first and had beaten Bisping before being upset. Beating Weidman was not enough to get a title shot at that time given how stacked the division was.

I get someone putting Mousasi over Branch and I also buy the arguments above that Mousasi would have likely beaten Jacare in a third fight. But again Jacare had won their last fight and should have still gotten the shot first. And there's no way to argue Mousasi getting a shot over Whittaker, Yoel and Rockhold. So at best case he's fourth or fifth.
Ok your delusional. Rockhold wasnt even in the picture dealing with injuries. Thats why he didnt fight till September 2017. Even then how is he above him coming off a loss? Lol

Because he'd beaten Bisping previously and the loss was seen as a fluke. Rockhold had beaten Bisping, Machida and Weidman before the upset.
Who saw it as a fluke? Fans? You think since fans said it was a fluke that he deserved the shot more than Moose? Bro. Get some sleep

Mousassi will be considered by the bulk of MMA fans as a very solid fighter, remaining in the top 5 or 10 of whatever weight class he currently fights in throughout his career, but never a great.
Definitely feel like if you consider him to be an all time great then there is some bias in that decision, or conflicting agreements on what exactly makes someone a "great".

He is one of the best ever, meaning top-5 in his division(s).

Mousasi the most overrated in sherdog? A place where you often see the American posterboy Rich Franklin rated as top5 MW of all time still in 2020? Lol no way
At least Rich had won a title in the ufc

Mousasi's losses
LAWAL- lost but stil competitive, Lawal won with takedowns but did very little
Machida- Close but Machida was just a little quicker than him. USADA was not around either
Souza- legit loss
Uriah - got caught avenged this loss decisively
Lovato- was losing to a ____ up figter but came back in the last 2.\

Mousasi is the most well rounded /technically sound / intelligent fighter there is.

Mousasi's losses
LAWAL- lost but stil competitive, Lawal won with takedowns but did very little
Machida- Close but Machida was just a little quicker than him. USADA was not around either
Souza- legit loss
Uriah - got caught avenged this loss decisively
Lovato- was losing to a ____ up figter but came back in the last 2.\

Mousasi is the most well rounded /technically sound / intelligent fighter there is.

He is extremely game and composed everywhere but no, he is not such a technical wrestler and his footwork isn't the best neither. He seems like an intelligemt guy but his fight IQ has not been that good in some of his fights, the last one, for example

His resume is ridiculous

Lombard
Cyborg
Kang
Manhoef
Jacare
Hunt
Babalu
Sokoudjo
Jardine
OSP
Latifi
Munoz
Hendo
Phillipou
Leites
Santos
Vitor
Hall
Weidman
Shlemenko
Lyoto
Rory
Carvalho

That list is indeed quite impressive especially considering he is still fighting at a high level today. He might not be a great cause he never won a title in the UFC but that is an unparalleled resume these days

Back