Mousasi's wrestling is being way underated here

I agreed with most, TS... but don't be a hypocrite in not giving recognition where it's due and underrating someone hardcore yourself... Anderson Silva bad? WTF was that?! Anderson's TDD is NOT weak. If it was, he wouldn't be a top 5 GOAT or even close. Period. That was a horrible reference!

QFT. TS tried to sneak a jab in at Silva, I see.

Both Jones and Weidman would take him down and be a BIG problem for him. I think he loses to and is finished by both. I like Gegard and see him doing very well against most others, but Jon and Weidman are very bad match ups for him because of his current TDD. Also, his surgery may play a big part in this moving forward as well.

Yeah. Even though Gegard's TDD has been improving, mainly cause Mousasi knows it's a weakness he has. (That's a good place to start!) I'd still argue that Anderson's TDD is currently way better than Mousasi's!
But if and when Mousasi shoots, he's not bad at all at taking opponents down. He'll be a good addition to whatever weight class he chooses to be! Stoked to find out his next opponent!

The thing is, both of them improved their TDD during the same time span, but Anderson seems to learn it faster while being more comfortable on the feet. Mousasi had to implement a strategic gameplan that revolved around jabbing & anticipating takedowns to beat OSP & Latifi, while Silva was able to do his thing against Bonnar, Weidman and Sonnen in the rematch (whether it got the result or not, he wasn't as tentative nor worried).

His takedown defense is bad. Since the Mo fight, he got taken down a bunch by Jardine and OSP almost beat him. Neither of those guys has a wrestling background.

you should probably try watching fights sometime before commenting bro

you should probably try watching fights sometime before commenting bro

He had a competitive fight with OSP (2-1) who had him in full mount. He was not almost defeated though. Mousasi was gassed, but he usually gasses at around the 10 minute mark so it's not like that was just some unusual situation for him.

I honestly would put him on the lower end of TDD at 205 in the UFC still. He has underrated offensive wrestling, but I haven't seen great advances in his TDD yet. I think dropping in weight class back to 185 will help this.

I've only watched 3 of his fights and he was taken down by all three guys Latifi, Mo, and Jacare. How exactly are you judging his TDD? You're basically using some MMA Math and some baseless assumptions trying to justify his TDD. And lol at you acting like Silva has terrible TDD...

Washed up Jardine took him down 6 times.

There is no way to spin that and make it look positive.

He was taken down by Jardine repeatedly. It's not good.

The thing is, both of them improved their TDD during the same time span, but Anderson seems to learn it faster while being more comfortable on the feet. Mousasi had to implement a strategic gameplan that revolved around jabbing & anticipating takedowns to beat OSP & Latifi, while Silva was able to do his thing against Bonnar, Weidman and Sonnen in the rematch (whether it got the result or not, he wasn't as tentative nor worried).

It's because Anderson uses his foot work a lot to stop TD's. It's hard to shoot in on someone moving so much like that. Mousasi doesn't move like that.

Washed up Jardine took him down 6 times.

There is no way to spin that and make it look positive.

He was taken down by Jardine repeatedly. It's not good.

He was training for Mike Kyle,Jardine was a short-notice replacement.

Gustafsson was taken down by Shogun,no way he can stuff Jones' takedowns...right?

Gustafsson was taken down by Shogun,no way he can stuff Jones' takedowns...right?

You can try and spin this all you want but nothing you say is going to justify it. It's just not. You can claim he has great TDD and make all the claims you want but until we actually see it in the cage against top fighters it's pointless.

It's because Anderson uses his foot work a lot to stop TD's. It's hard to shoot in on someone moving so much like that. Mousasi doesn't move like that.

On some occasions, he does. Like in the 2nd round of the Hendo fight. But not against Bonnar, Weidman or in the Sonnen rematch.

Mousasi's footwork is more static, he always needs to be in the right distance, and thus he's often conservative with his set of strikes since he does worry about being taken down.

Anderson reacts better to pressure, while Gegard is a bit too calm in there at times, like against Mo & Jardine. Or he's extra cautious and jabs away for 3 rounds and/or tries a takedown himself to avoid being on the bottom, like against OSP & Latifi.

Didn't he also get taken down by Latifi, who had no business being in the cage with him? I didn't see that fight.

No, in fact he avoided all TD from Latifi and make it look really easy. BTW Latifi is a wrestler (supposedly).

Anyway... he has not been active lately and had plenty of time to improve. Let

He was taken down 7 times by Jardine I believe.

On some occasions, he does. Like in the 2nd round of the Hendo fight. But not against Bonnar, Weidman or in the Sonnen rematch.

Mousasi's footwork is more static, he always needs to be in the right distance, and thus he's often conservative with his set of strikes since he does worry about being taken down.

Anderson reacts better to pressure, while Gegard is a bit too calm in there at times, like against Mo & Jardine. Or he's extra cautious and jabs away for 3 rounds and/or tries a takedown himself to avoid being on the bottom, like against OSP & Latifi.

I keep seeing the Latifi fight being mentioned.

It should be noted that he fought with a hurt knee in that fight. He said himself that he had to fight a cautious fight because he knew he was limited. Also it's been a while since I watched his fight against OSP but I remember it being a pretty clear win. I assumed he wrestled more in an attempt to answer critics (but that was just my take on it).

Mike Kyle could have took him down as well, you have to train for everything, it's not like Jardine is a noted wrestler.

Keith Jardine took the fight on 8 days notice, if anyone had an advantage it was Gegard Mousasi.

I keep seeing the Latifi fight being mentioned.

It should be noted that he fought with a hurt knee in that fight. He said himself that he had to fight a cautious fight because he knew he was limited. Also it's been a while since I watched his fight against OSP but I remember it being a pretty clear win. I assumed he wrestled more in an attempt to answer critics (but that was just my take on it).

Whether he was hurt of not (and I mean truly hurt, since his approach made perfect sense knowing his few shortcomings), his approach in those fights mirrored each other and thus paint a picture of his approach against wrestlers post Mo, or Jardine. He made quick work of O'brien, that doesn't tell much of his wrestling.

What I've seen is more caution due to the scoring, and he's said his peace about that as well. I'm not confident at all that he could stuff Rashad or Davis or get up, but some progression is there.

Mike Kyle could have took him down as well, you have to train for everything, it's not like Jardine is a noted wrestler.

Yes,and Brock Lesnar could have done a showtime kick if he fought JDS...come on man,Kyle has almost no wrestling and Mousasi's ground game is far superior.
You have to train everything? Ok,tell that to Mousasi.I don't blame him for not training his TDD against a striker with a an inferior ground game.

Jardine is a far better wrestler than Kyle.

Keith Jardine took the fight on 8 days notice, if anyone had an advantage it was Gegard Mousasi.

Agree 100%.That's why Mousasi won that fight.

It wasn't too bad outside the ufc. After seeing the king mo and jadine fights (although he may have been injured) I don't think he'll handle the top 205 wrestlers very well. He'd be an absolute force at mw though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back