Mousasi's wrestling is being way underated here

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by FistofIce**, Oct 3, 2013.

1. FistofIce**

FistofIce** Banned Banned

King Mo took down Mousasi like Mousasi never spent a day in wrestling practice. But, if you look at Mousasi's other fights, it's not that he has a bad wrestling or anything like that, he is able to utilize takedowns when he needs to and see an opening for such technique in a fight, and he does have a decent takedown defense.

King Mo has one of the best wrestling credentials in MMA. The reason why we never see King Mo taking someone down so many times is usually King Mo is confident enough to keep it standing, and it was a five round fight, and he couldn't do much damage on top against Mousasi.

If you actually look at King Mo versus Larkin fight, you know King Mo took Larkin down quite easily. But, when Larkin fought that dude from Tristar, tall MW whose name escapes me at the moment, he showed a great takedown defense, against that black GSP from Tristar, except that guy is lot more boring than GSP in his usual fights.

I don't think Mousasi has a takedown defense like some other top elite fighters do, like Machida or GSP, or whoever, but it's not like Anderson Silva bad, it's probably lot better than what everyone is giving him credit for. I saw that lot of people were saying how Davis would wrestlefuck Mousasi, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. People make it sound like it's easy to takedown Mousasi, but it's not.

2. DoUEvenLiftBro

DoUEvenLiftBro Brown Belt

His takedown defense is bad. Since the Mo fight, he got taken down a bunch by Jardine and OSP almost beat him. Neither of those guys has a wrestling background.

3. BigFatUnderwear

BigFatUnderwear Black Belt

I agree, his takedown defense has become underrated in sherdog

4. MartialPopTarts

MartialPopTarts Banned Banned

People move on to the next fighter and leave old favorites behind. If Mousasi comes back healthy he is a threat to many.

5. TobikanJudan94

TobikanJudan94 Never be game over

The Jardine fight can't make text.He was supposed to fight Kyle(a guy with 0 wrestling),even Gustafsson got taken down by Shogun before stuffing almost all Jones' takedowns.I don't think Shogun has better wrestling than Jones.

LOL @ OSP almost beat him.He won the 3rd thanks to Mousasi gassing,Mousasi is known for taking opponents lightly and not training properly because of it.

6. Mike01010101a

Mike01010101a Brown Belt

As I heard he works hard for better wrestling ability.

7. DoUEvenLiftBro

DoUEvenLiftBro Brown Belt

Didn't he also get taken down by Latifi, who had no business being in the cage with him? I didn't see that fight.

8. UFCFantasyMVP

UFCFantasyMVP Blue Belt

I agreed with most, TS... but don't be a hypocrite in not giving recognition where it's due and underrating someone hardcore yourself... Anderson Silva bad? WTF was that?! Anderson's TDD is NOT weak. If it was, he wouldn't be a top 5 GOAT or even close. Period. That was a horrible reference!

9. MCS

MCS Gold Belt

His takedowns are underrated since pretty much no-one talks about them, yet they're effective. His TDD has improved, but it's still not good.

10. chaos_36

chaos_36 DOOM all capitals no trick spelling.

His wrestling is bad, not underrating it just stating facts.

11. frandie2b

frandie2b ------(SALD BELT)------

LOL.

He actually outwresled OSP and beat him soundly.

But I don't think you're aware of that since you didn't watch the fight.

Latifi is a wrestler, and Mousasi stuffed 2/3 TDs.

And wait didn't JBJ get taken down by Gustafsson ?

12. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

His TDD isn't terrible, and his guard game is good. But c'mon, Jardine used TD's (and one illegal blow) to earn a draw against Mousasi, all the while getting destroyed in the standup.
    If he shows up like that, it's not going to cut it.

13. Westbrick

Westbrick Brown Belt

most overrated fighter ever.

14. MikeyLan

MikeyLan Brown Belt

GSP doesn't have a wrestling background either. So?

Mousasi stuffed most of Jardine's attempt and took down Jardine too.

15. Bubblun

Bubblun Brown Belt

Mousasi is an excellent and well rounded grappler.
    he got taken down by King Mo because King Mo is quite a good wrestler.

a lot of people don't only undestimate Mousasi wrestling but also King Mo wrestling.

16. rafa_baldo

rafa_baldo Black Belt

agreed.

he's just good... like so many others

17. elzar

elzar Red Belt

gustaffson is the #1 contender. of course he's a threat and is well rounded. no one knows who those other people you're talking about are.

18. Insmoke

Insmoke Brown Belt

He didn't even bother defending Jardine's takedowns that much. He just went on beating the shit of him from the bottom. Jardine couldn't do shit from top position IIRC. That draw was ridiculous, even with the point deduction.

19. MMAdict

MMAdict Brown Belt

I'm a huge mousasi fan and his tdd at lhw is bad. The reason i say lhw is because it may inprove at mw. His offensive wrestling is good, especially in the clinch. How tdd suffers from the fact he's physically smaller, gasses frequently and generally is worse at wrestling.

Hopefully moving to mw will get him in better shape and make him have a physical advantage. Also he should hire some Eastern European wrestlers

20. UFCFantasyMVP

UFCFantasyMVP Blue Belt

Yeah. Even though Gegard's TDD has been improving, mainly cause Mousasi knows it's a weakness he has. (That's a good place to start!) I'd still argue that Anderson's TDD is currently way better than Mousasi's!
    But if and when Mousasi shoots, he's not bad at all at taking opponents down. He'll be a good addition to whatever weight class he chooses to be! Stoked to find out his next opponent!